Tax for Gesy.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Re: Tax for Gesy.

Post by galexinda »

Jim, have you had any joy with your accountant regarding paying for GESY contributions even though you have MEU3 + S1/E121 ?
Just received this reply from yet another source:

''re your post re MEU3/S1 holder - an S1 holder should not have to pay contributions for GESY - Regarding GESY, to avoid being asked for contributions, those who are S1 holders are requested please to send an email to one of the following addresses quoting:

Full name
Date of birth
ID no

Email to the Medical Card Department in the Ministry of Health to Mr Soteris Stratis (sstratis@moh.gov.cy) or Mrs Tasoula Michael (tmichael@papd.mof.gov.cy) for a confirmation letter to certify that you are not subject to contributions for GESY according to the General Health System Law of 2001.

Married couples should please send one email showing details of both husband and wife. A confirmation letter will be issued addressed to the husband, or pensioner in the marriage.

It is important to apply for this letter to avoid problems with the tax department trying to claim contributions. If you have neighbours/friends who do not have internet/email, could you please assist them by applying on their behalf.

The letter will apply for an indefinite period.

Without the letter, he will be expected to pay contributions''.

Also have the E121 form + MEU3 + letter from Ministry and our accountant has filed the 2019 Cyprus Tax Return - no GESY contributions.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

galexinda.. Thank you for TWO such well set out, and informative posts ...
We too have an S1 and the exemption letter that you mention.. Our accountant confirmed after doing our accounts that we have no tax to pay into the Gesy system
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thank you Trev - pleased to read that as a MEU1 holder with the S1 form and exemption letter that you have no GESY tax to pay.

Awaiting for Jim to read my post above but another tip I have just received is ''I would suggest he emails one of the persons named for clarification stating that despite the letter, his accountant is saying he has to pay and see what response he gets''.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Jim
You have to email gesy on tmichael@papd.mof.gov.cy and request an exemption form using this wording with the required info:-

Good afternooni
Could I please have a confirmation that I am not required to make contributions in respect of Gesy in accordance with the General Health System Law 2001

My details are:
Full name: Xxxx
Date of birth: 31st Xxxx
ID no: 12345678( MEU 1)

Thank you,
Regards

You will then get a personal letter from them with a ref no.

This is put on tax form together with your uk NI number

Then you are exempt from paying any GESY contributions

If your accountant says no then I would suggest going to a different accountant or do the forms yourself.

IF YOU HAVE AN S1 YOU DONT PAY GESY

Everyone on here is telling you the same!!
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Jim, Come on mate
Email the links given as I would think hundreds if not thousands of UK pensioners in Cyprus holding S1 have done already, usually the same day you will get a response with a pdf attached which is the letter shown above. As a UK S1 holder you do not have to contribute to GESY, the tax form asks for the date and reference number, it is very simple. Maybe save your accountant a job on their abacus.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Jim,
Only a couple of weeks ago, we saw our accountant. He asked for an exemption from Gesy, which I got from the link mentioned several times, gave them to him, straight away he said there is nothing to pay. I think this is one for you to sort! Contact the email, you will get an exemption letter fairly quickly and print it off. Take it to your accountant. If he still insists, change ur accountant!