House Alarm

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: House Alarm

Post by Devil »

Question: should you display a box which shows you have a burglar alarm?
If so, it shows that you have something worth stealing.
If not, a prospective burglar might ignore your house, unless you have other signs of wealth.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Devil

You are writing as a man of Honour, Principles and Respect for fellow humans. Burglars have NONE of these qualities. I totally agree with H in C's comments based on what my friendly Police Rugby playing colleague told me many years ago.

Be safe

Alan
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

But as in the UK does anyone take any notice of these alarms, yes immediate neighbours but down the street i doubt it
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

I have a friend which we were in the same class at school, we have stayed friends for many years, and I have visited him in prison on more then a few times, not making excuses for him, but he came from a family of wrongens so he stood no chance, but burglary was his thing, obviously he wasn't very good at it, because he kept getting caught, but I asked him why he kept doing it, and he always said, you cant believe how many people leave doors and windows open, most burglars are opportunists, wanting a quick in and out job, 99% will walk past a building with an alarm, too risky it could be linked to a security firm who will inform the police etc.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Makes my blood boil with sympathy for the victims.Who are these thieves.It seems to me there are favourite districts for these thieves to ply their trade...Dare i say Kamares.Tala Sea caves??
Friends of ours where burgled TWICE,,,on Kamares,the second time they had all the usual protection.When i asked them why do you think they picked on you house,,,,,they had not got a clue..
josef k

Post by josef k »

Explaining why people get burgled twice is easy.

1. You get burgled.
2. You buy new stuff to replace what was taken.
3. You get burgled again so they can take the brand new stuff.

As to alarm companies, there are a number of Cypriot firms who have a 24 hour control room or similar. Try one of those, as just having a ringing bell generates a delayed response from neighbours and the burglars are long gone by the time someone arrives.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Kamares is definitely on the thieves radar. I lived there for a number of years and for most of them we had a monitored (by the local security company) burglar alarm. We were not targeted by burglars. It is much more satisfactory to have this arrangement. Unmonitored alarms can ring and ring and will annoy your neighbours who may not be prepared to answer it in the middle of the night, whereas a good security company will arrive, whether you are home or away.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In my teens I worked as a pre-sales rep for a burglar alarm company. From that I learned some relevent nuggets.

1. The presence of an alarm acts as a deterrent.
2. The presence of a quality street box painted white stuck to the side of a house does not act as a deterrent.
3. Proper burglar alarm companies will not sell fake covers. A proper burglar alarm cover indicates you have a proper burglar alarm.
4. After a couple of weeks going door to door you develop the ability to scan a street and quickly identify which houses have alarms, which don't, and which of those alarms are fake. I imagine that burglars have the same ability.

I present the above without any prejudice. I have no links to any security firm, and none advertise here.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:58 pm In my teens I worked as a pre-sales rep for a burglar alarm company. From that I learned some relevent nuggets.

1. The presence of an alarm acts as a deterrent.
2. The presence of a quality street box painted white stuck to the side of a house does not act as a deterrent.
3. Proper burglar alarm companies will not sell fake covers. A proper burglar alarm cover indicates you have a proper burglar alarm.
4. After a couple of weeks going door to door you develop the ability to scan a street and quickly identify which houses have alarms, which don't, and which of those alarms are fake. I imagine that burglars have the same ability.

I present the above without any prejudice. I have no links to any security firm, and none advertise here.
Dominic, a street box painted white???
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Chaddy you have Misquoted... It actually says, "A Quality Street box" ie an empty box of chocolates with the tin painted white
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Perhaps I should have said "Miniature Heroes"?

My fault for not using capitals. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ast

Post by ast »

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:05 pm Dom, what are miniature hero's?
Were have you been for twenty years !!!! 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

Hi Neil

Hope you are well.

We had a few quotes but opted for Armstrong Security in the end. Really pleased with the kit, installation and price.

Cheers

Darrell