Solar panels on all our houses

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Anarita John

Re: Solar panels on all our houses

Post by Anarita John »

According to Greenair, you can now add to your solar panels and you do not have to get permission from EAC. Also, because of the way EAC now charge for units you use through the meter that you have banked, less than 5 cents a unit, inc vat,(Network Charges) it will not cost you more each bill, like it did previously.

If, after spending the winter here, we find we have run out of banked units, we will just add a few more panels.
johnandjen1

Post by johnandjen1 »

Thanks again for the info John.

Dominic - no, there is no problem with Excel as long as you are aware of its limitations. PHE were not.
darrow

Post by darrow »

johnandjen1 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 pm So to be clear Dominic, I can look at the meter and see how many units I have in the ‘bank’ ?
yes. You can. Also check online.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am What on Earth are you going on about now? There's nothing wrong with Microsoft Excel.
You should check your dismissive view before posting!
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 pm
It is quite a lengthy business assembling the necessary paperwork and getting the permissions needed.
I simply gave my supplier power of attorney to do the paperwork for me. It had to be stamped by the mayor´s office but that was all I had to do.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Anarita John wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am If, after spending the winter here, we find we have run out of banked units, we will just add a few more panels.
Can your inverter deal with more panels?
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Jeba, sorry do not know if our inverter can deal with more panels. If we needed more, we would look at the most cost effective way, which, if we needed a new inverter, might be to have a solar swimming pool pump, which would save us at least 8 units a day.
From a very brief google search, our inverter can be oversized by 153%. At present, the maximum we produce is 30KW per day and the maximum for any period in the day is around 2.7kw. In May/June we were producing 3KW.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Anarita John wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:29 pm Jeba, sorry do not know if our inverter can deal with more panels. If we needed more, we would look at the most cost effective way, which, if we needed a new inverter, might be to have a solar swimming pool pump, which would save us at least 8 units a day.
From a very brief google search, our inverter can be oversized by 153%. At present, the maximum we produce is 30KW per day and the maximum for any period in the day is around 2.7kw. In May/June we were producing 3KW.
Your idea to buy a solar pool pump, I was going to suggest John. This would bring a large saving as the pump would run also on cloudy days it would reduce also your chemical/maintenance costs. If you add a lot of new modules and connect with the same inverter it could be dangerous in winter, when cold temperatures and clouds coming together which could spike your production for a short time over the limits. This is called edge-of-cloud effect and is underestimated from many installers of PV. An option would be if you ask Green Air to part exchange your nearly new inverter with a larger one...

Max
jeba

Post by jeba »

Anarita John wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:29 pm Jeba, sorry do not know if our inverter can deal with more panels. If we needed more, we would look at the most cost effective way, which, if we needed a new inverter, might be to have a solar swimming pool pump, which would save us at least 8 units a day.
Anyway, my point was merely that you need to check whether your inverter can cope with additional panels.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mike strand2 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am What on Earth are you going on about now? There's nothing wrong with Microsoft Excel.
You should check your dismissive view before posting!
Check your attitude before posting.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Greenair checked our house wiring before EAC inspected. EAC inspected only from the meter box, they did not come into the house to check anything.
Max, I think the way to go would be with a solar pump for the swimming pool, rather than add panels. We are still on a learning curve with our solar panels and we have not yet spent a full winter in Cyprus to see exactly how much electricity we use.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Termites Dream wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:01 am
Anarita John wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am According to Greenair, you can now add to your solar panels and you do not have to get permission from EAC. Also, because of the way EAC now charge for units you use through the meter that you have banked, less than 5 cents a unit, inc vat,(Network Charges) it will not cost you more each bill, like it did previously.

If, after spending the winter here, we find we have run out of banked units, we will just add a few more panels.
I also went to Greenair and they told me similar, however they also said it was not approved and you should summit all the paperwork as you did before to extend your system. You can do it on the basis that it is illegal but nobody has been caught. Perhaps Cyprusmax could clarify if I am correct.
Lina of Green Air office is going to ask EAC when she visits next time how things are and if there are any problems if one expands his system without new application.

Max