Car insurance

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

Car insurance

Post by Mrblobby »

My car insurance is due next week with Gan , so I just checked online and found they are asking for an increase . Up from 300 to 400 .

Has anyone else had an increase in premiums recently ?

Obviously I will be asking them why when they open and also I will be checking a few other companies .
Cheshire Lad

Re: Car insurance

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Just renewed my car policy with Atlantic. Tp(The Max Cover version) and the premium had REDUCED by Eur 40

€303 down to €263

( Nothing special - a CRV)

CL
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:41 am My car insurance is due next week with Gan , so I just checked online and found they are asking for an increase . Up from 300 to 400 .

Has anyone else had an increase in premiums recently ?

Obviously I will be asking them why when they open and also I will be checking a few other companies .
Have you past a certain age?
Its been said before Atlantic insurance is expensive compered to others but their customers don't get huge hikes in Premiums when they get older, especially if you have been with them for some time.
Changing for the cheapest may work when you are younger but these companies need to make money.
David
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I’m 67 and my wife is 71 .
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ive been with Atlantic for over 30 years, cars , houses, business, not the cheapest but excellent service when I've needed to claim.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 am I’m 67 and my wife is 71 .
So it may be because your wife has turned 70, I would give them a call.
Good luck
David
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Thanks for the info re the age 71 .

I think we will take the wife off the policy , she went through the rigmarole of getting a driving licence last year and has no inclination to go through it again , so will not be driving again (she has not driven for many years anyway) .
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Yes, we’re both past the “magic number”

Just a thought. It might be less expensive to leave your wife on the insurance. Her magic number may work to your advantage cost wise

CL
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

You guys think you have got problems with car insurance premiums due to age ( well,say getting on a bit ) I went in my insurers last week,the ones ive been insured with the past 17 years,the very pleasant lady at the desk informed me with a smile on her face that it had gone up 92 euros due to my age ( again getting on a bit ) I meekly explained i had been driving for 62 years without an accident,i have perfect vision ( now my cataracts have been done ) i have been a loyal customer of their company for all these years hoping i would get some where with it...The pleasant smile on her face turned into a,,,well a look that said to me you silly old sod,,do you want it or not...She was right,,being a silly old sod i paid up.
My ( silly old sod ) age? next year i will be an octogenarian,,oh dear.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Our insurance premium went down when I was made the main policy holder as I was the younger person - there is a difference in the excess amount payable due to being in different age groups.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Isn't it the case that once you pass that 'magic age', it's very difficult to change insurers?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Depending on your age it can be very difficult to change insurer.. My FIL was 80 when we arrived here and no one would insure him. He had to get three letters of refusal and go on the Government scheme which was only 3rd party accident, not even fire and theft :-(
Trev..
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 am Ive been with Atlantic for over 30 years, cars , houses, business, not the cheapest but excellent service when I've needed to claim.
Can only say 24 years, but agree with the rest! :D
J B
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:17 pm Depending on your age it can be very difficult to change insurer.. My FIL was 80 when we arrived here and no one would insure him. He had to get three letters of refusal and go on the Government scheme which was only 3rd party accident, not even fire and theft :-(
That's what newly qualified drivers here have to do for two accident free years. Unless they can be added to Daddy's policy as 'any driver'.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I can’t get an answer from Gan as to why they want to increase the cost of my policy .

I have had two quotes from companies who will include my wife for 250€ . I asked them about increases And they say loading does not start till about 75 .

It seams this age related increases also happens in the U.K..

https://www.ageco.co.uk/viewpoint/insur ... -after-70/#