Is wind the future energy source for the UK?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Is wind the future energy source for the UK?

Post by Devil »

By chance, on the day that Boris Johnson has stated that all British homes will have sufficient energy from the wind, by 2030; yet a long technical article has been published at:
https://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/publications/d ... source.pdf

This casts serious doubts as to how well a wind-only system, à la Prime Minister, could work, as the article analyses the wind patterns of the UK, often for days without significant winds, even offshore. It is inconceivable to have sufficient storage capacity in 10 years, so that the backup would have to be supplied by either conventional or, preferably, nuclear power stations.
Kili01

Re: Is wind the future energy source for the UK?

Post by Kili01 »

Would photo voltaic farms be any more effective to produce electricity for the UK?

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:37 pm Would photo voltaic farms be any more effective to produce electricity for the UK?

Dee
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12847073/ ... nger-live/

Run the weekly chart from today's "Sun" and you have your answer!

Actually if you run down the whole "Sun" weather site, there is some interesting stuff to digest.
El tel

Post by El tel »

If all the “ wind “ that has been generated in discussing the corona virus has been converted to power there would be no need for any other form of energy . ;)

Terry
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

El tel wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:22 pm If all the “ wind “ that has been generated in discussing the corona virus has been converted to power there would be no need for any other form of energy . ;)

Terry
Coupled with Brexit debate they would be unstoppable.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Scotland is self-sufficient in wind-power and hydro power, for a few days a year - what does that tell you? Even in a windy climate, wind isn’t the viable only option. Also, you need generating stations in your area, so you couldn’t power the UK from 1 or 2 nuclear plants, as power loss in transmission is too high. A problem with wind power as well.
Localised turbine are better, but the entire technology is problematic. We have turbines see from a hill nearby, 360 degrees. At any time, some are out, being repaired. The technology solutions are not sufficient to run them 24x7x365xX years without maintenance and rebuild.

There will be a technology that uses radiation from the sun, where panels could even be put into your basement and work. Bit it is many years away...
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Nuclear is the answer.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

My apologies. When I first saw this article, I believed that it was newly published, without having checked the dates. In fact, it is a few years old. Notwithstanding, it is still very valid with the exception that there is less emphasis on offshore wind generation. There is little doubt that offshore wind generation is more efficient than onshore, so that the article is still valid on condition that we take this difference into account.

I am actually rereading the article (note that it is not a technical paper because it would need more authors and peer reviewing before it could become part of the technical literature). When I have digested the technicalities, I will publish more information on this thread.

In the meanwhile, I think there is a lot of gold and silver buried in this long article: to be followed up!