Cashback at the Supermarket

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

Re: Cashback at the Supermarket

Post by mike strand2 »

Its the same with supermarketcy. I started using them during lockdown & have continued to do so. Just 2 orders ago, I got €10 knocked off the bill.
Kissos

Post by Kissos »

Paps started offering this new service about 2/3 weeks ago and I find it very useful. Minimum cashback is 20e maximum is 80e. I don't understand Darrow saying they have offered it for years... I hope other supermarkets follow.
Meri2

Post by Meri2 »

MasterCard only
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Oh, that's no good. Bank of Cyprus is Visa Card :-(
Trev..
Meri2

Post by Meri2 »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:09 pm Oh, that's no good. Bank of Cyprus is Visa Card :-(

BOC Debit Card is VisaCard
BOC Credit Card is MasterCard
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Meri2 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:35 pm
trevnhil wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:09 pm Oh, that's no good. Bank of Cyprus is Visa Card :-(

BOC Debit Card is VisaCard
BOC Credit Card is MasterCard
But you would not use a credit card to get 'moneyback'. It would be treated the same as you withdrawing cash at an ATM. Expensive!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No way, I use my Tesco credit card for everything, I pay it off as soon it shows on my card statement, that way I earn Tesco points, plus it makes my purchases more secure.

I still wonder how you clean Euro notes, would those who use cash please tell.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
wilky

Post by wilky »

Tried to get cashback yesterday with hellenic bank debit card and was refused not that card.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Les Bean wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:39 pm Was very surprised on a visit to Germany at how many outlets accepted cash only
That´s because the retail margins in Germany are very small so that many smaller businesses avoid the credit card fees. In Germany the motto is "Geiz ist geil" which means something like stingyness is cool. That applies to customers as well. Even Walmart left Germany as they couldn´t make a profit there. The upside is that average prices are lower than in comparable countries.
wilky

Post by wilky »

Got the answer today from Paps their cashback only works with Master card
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

We have been offered it for the past 6 weeks in Paps when paying using our Hellenic MasterCard Debit Card.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Kissos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 am Paps started offering this new service about 2/3 weeks ago and I find it very useful. Minimum cashback is 20e maximum is 80e. I don't understand Darrow saying they have offered it for years... I hope other supermarkets follow.
I used it about 10 years ago. Perhaps they stopped it for a while and have started doing it again?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My Alpha Bank debit card is a Master Card, but since there are cash machines available, I tend to use my bank card in Alpha cash machines, as there are no charges for doing that.
I was offered cash back the other day at the check out in Paps. It is a useful service. I find Paps are very helpful and have shopped there for years. I think the competition from Alpha Mega has made them up their game by refurbishing their stores.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just wonder if Cyprus banks impose a charge if the cashback method is used at the supermarket.
No mention either way on the latest charges and commissions lists of the major banks and no response to email request for further information
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 pm Years ago when I was paid weekly with a cheque, you could go into paps , buy a little shopping, pay with cheque and get change !
Correct all supermarkets would accept a cheque made out in your name for payment of goods, that started disappearing when the Government changed the law, making giving a bouncy cheque a civil matter not a crime, but where I shop in a busy supermarket, they still accept cheques, providing they are official ones, ie pensions etc.