Portuguese couple on quad bike seriously injured after falling off Akamas cliff

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Portuguese couple on quad bike seriously injured after falling off Akamas cliff

Post by Paphos Life »

A young Portuguese couple riding a quad bike on Sunday afternoon fell off a cliff in the Akamas region and are both in serious condition in Paphos Hospital, according to Philenews.The 27-year-man is a player with local Doxa football club and he was visiting the wild region with his 22-year-old partner....

Read the article and chat about it below...
paulaf

Re: Portuguese couple on quad bike seriously injured after falling off Akamas cliff

Post by paulaf »

Sounds horrific, lucky to be alive, we were in Latchi last night and the locals were talking about it saying the quad bikes should be banned from up there, have to say i strongly agree they spoil the peace and quiet let alone the danger.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Portuguese couple on quad bike seriously injured after falling off Akamas cliff

Post by Dominic »

That road is perfectly safe if you drive sensibly.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not really. A fence around a pool to keep out toddlers makes a lot more sense than roll-cages around all off-road vehicles.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Quad bikes are not dangerous, its the people who ride them, who are the problem, many tourists who rent them out without any experience, we once were sat outside a cafe, opposite a bike rental, a couple obviously first timers, got on, the chap shot out into the main road quickly followed by his partner, she ploughed into the side of an on coming car, all in about 5 seconds.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I noticed in the press they are now calling for urgent measures to be taken to widen the road. Some comments saying it’s dangerous and should be closed off. Maybe just a bit more signage about the dangers and speed would be more appropriate. It seems a shame to spoil this area with more structure. There must have been thousands who used it over the summer with no problems judging by the number of local adventurers in the area!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I was reading the comments in the press the area is natural and beautiful that’s the purpose of visiting whilst on holiday some leave their brains at home, quad bikes are extremely dangerous to those who don’t understand even those that do have had fatalities there should be stricter ruling on their hire
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Quads drive past my house in a convoy, either going to or returning no doubt from the AKAMAS. Call me an old grump if you like, but OMG, what an horrendous noise. If my car made as much noise as a Quad it would not pass an MOT. So why is it OK for Quads (& some motorbikes) to make as much noise as they like? I guess it's because it's good for tourism!
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

How did I know Lloyd & WHL would disagree, which is absolutely their right, but it doesn't alter the way I feel. I somehow think they would change their minds however, if for example, a noise making factory was next door to them! Why is Ok for a Quad to make more noise than my car? Any clues?
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:31 pm How did I know Lloyd & WHL would disagree, which is absolutely their right, but it doesn't alter the way I feel. I somehow think they would change their minds however, if for example, a noise making factory was next door to them! Why is Ok for a Quad to make more noise than my car? Any clues?
Unless you have a non stop stream of quads passing your front door, day and night, highly unlikely , I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill, yes the noise is unpleasant when a quad goes past, it lasts for a few seconds, it isnt the end of the World :roll:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps not day and night, but convoys of quadbikes used to be so frequent they would join up and it was hilarious at the Agios Georgios fishing harbour watching them negotiate having to do the turn by the ramp into the water. The dust levels generated by these vehicles when they are off road are also a health hazard, particularly when using the shortcuts in front of residential properties. Nothing against them, but there again nothing for them - I would want to hire one and go off on my own, not be forced to drive at speed just to keep up with the group - not as if they actually stop and look around in many places en route.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Going back to the original post, has anyone heard how this unfortunate couple in hospital are?