Britain remains in Category B

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: Britain remains in Category B

Post by Kili01 »

I have more confidence in the Cyprus Govt and the President, than I feel for the Govt in my home country right now. So far, the Cypriots have got it right. Let’s hope they will in whatever happens in the immediate future. But it’s a worrying time for most of us.

Hope for the best!
Dee
El tel

Post by El tel »

Are we at the point where the corona virus should be treated and accepted as another virus similar to the flu virus ? The number of deaths in the U.K. now are in the 20’s and is it losing its strength as it is passed on ? As an example Prostate cancer has an average of 32 deaths a day and I am sure the flu virus kills more people a day in its seasonal appearance . Just an observation but perhaps we should put it in context with the death rate of other illnesses.

Terry
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are comparing normality with conditions that are far form normal though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Covid is at least 6 times as deadly as Influenza
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 pm Covid is at least 6 times as deadly as Influenza
Where did you get this statistic from?

Please differentiate between those that have died from and those that have died with Covid
El tel

Post by El tel »

Taking an average over the last 5 years , 17000 people die a year from flu in the U.K. , an average of 46 a day.

Terry
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 pm And yet, somehow, life goes on.
Let us hope so!
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:44 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... aster.html

Here's an interesting article from a doctor (yes I know, it's the DM). I tend to agree with what is being said here.

So do I
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

"What I did not foresee, back in March, was how Covid-19 would be channelled by the lockdown into the very places that sheltered Britain’s most vulnerable people: our care homes."

That part is nonsense. The lockdown did not channel covid into care homes. THE NHS Hospitals channelled patients with Covid into care homes
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

"Already, they are taking hold. Two weeks ago, according to the Office for National Statistics, 991 deaths were attributed to flu and pneumonia, Covid-19 or both over a seven-day period.

Yet in the same period, the ONS data showed only 78 official deaths of patients who tested positive for Covid-19 within the past month (though this doesn’t mean the virus caused all the deaths).

These figures show that flu and pneumonia are currently roughly ten times as deadly... and according to the ONS, flu season hasn’t even started yet."

That's dangerous speculation, implying Influenza is a bigger problem than Covid. Flue kills the old and very weak. Full-stop. Covid kills and maims more than that and at least 6 times as deadly
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Re that article:

"Six months ago, when the coronavirus took hold in Britain, the Prime Minister imposed a draconian lockdown that forced people to stay indoors. I warned at the time that this policy would have a devastating long-term effect on general healthcare – especially mental health – and it saddens me deeply that I was proved right."

Where is this proof?
kansas

Post by kansas »

Today's news, admittedly in the DM - "Sweden shifts towards lock down measures amid spike of cases in Stockholm".
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Beechwood wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 pm Covid is at least 6 times as deadly as Influenza

Please differentiate between those that have died from and those that have died with Covid
There are medical reports, many listing as 10 x

https://theconversation.com/random-test ... ted-138709

Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

It maybe that England and Wales and N.ireland impose a essential travel only rule just like they have already done in Scotland then it will be irrelevant what category the U.K. is in as people will be unable to travel anyway
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:53 am

The word ‘estimate’ is used on a number of occasions in this article.

And I may have missed this but I can’t see the differential between those that have died from and those that have died with Covid
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Beechwood wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:26 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:53 am

The word ‘estimate’ is used on a number of occasions in this article.

And I may have missed this but I can’t see the differential between those that have died from and those that have died with Covid
Surely you could argue the same about stats to do with flu deaths as well. So what is your point?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

All this speculation has no useful end, but continually harping on the forum about it is certainly not a morale boost to most people.
What will be will be.

Dee
El tel

Post by El tel »

I used to think there were more “ celebrities “ than ordinary people but I am now beginning to think there are more corona virus experts than ordinary people. The latest bit of useless information I have received is that if you die of the flu virus but it is subsequently found that you have the corona virus in your system you will be marked down as a corona virus death.

Terry
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

In fairness I think the only countries in Europe that should not be in category C for travelling to Cyprus should be Finland and Latvia in every other countriy their numbers are way too high to be in category B
I say close the airports and reopen again in spring next year
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We need to keep as much open for as long as we can to help individuals and businesses survive and I believe the authorities are handling each situation promptly and efficiently as it occurs. Up to all individuals to do their bit as well to keep public areas safe - I certainly don't want the authorities enforcing the elderly and/or infirm to stay at home just because a few still think the rules don't apply to them. I missed going out in April/May because of the lockdown so looking forward to getting out and about more now the cooler weather is on the way!