Britain remains in Category B

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Britain remains in Category B

Post by Dominic »

Title says it all. Full press release here:

Read the article and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Re: Britain remains in Category B

Post by galexinda »

I see the UK supermarket shelves are already emptying according to photographs in the media.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I saw the article galexinda so decided to save my newspapers. Anyone old enough to remember when you had to clean your little arse with a bit of newspaper
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I guess we know the reason why Cyprus is still maintaining the UK's Group B status.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Good for them. The majority of Cypriots have to earn a living and can't afford to live off a nice pension.UK tourists have all paid a lot of money to get tested before coming here, and want to spend more when they get here. This will benefit working families in Cyprus.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Took the words right out of my mouth Dominic. Get a bit fed up sometimes of the 'I'm alright jack' brigade on here. An ex pat with an index linked pension can afford to hunker down, unlike some poor Cypriot working in the tourist trade with 3 kids to support.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

My Daughter and Son-in-Law along with their two children are hoping to arrive in Paphos at the beginning of October for their tenth wedding anniversary. They are both keyworkers, so are tested regularly.

Their wedding was was absolutely hilarious from start to finish . . . .as it was done the Cypriot way! The registrar did not turn up as he thought they were going to be at another venue at the time! He eventually turned up. (Email mix up at the Municipality).

Said Registrar signed their wedding certificate for the WRONG day/date! (Let me tell you, that was a bit of a chew to get sorted😲). Thankfully, we were living in Cyprus at the time and were helped by locals.

We had arranged for a pony and trap to take them along ToTKs road which was delightful for them as all the locals waved and tooted their horns for, and too them. ❤ Marina (the horse) decided to 'bolt' whilst the driver was posing for photos. . . . . . .away from the trap.🤣 Photographic evidence of my wee girls face is still shown to her regularly!

Anyway, to cut a very long story short it turned out to be one of (or thee) best days of their lives and they have been planning this trip for over two years.

Suffice to say, they are absolutely torn???

Maggie B

PS They have decided they will not cancel unless the matter is taken out of their hands.
dodo

Post by dodo »

Galixinda
They are the original old pics of lockdown in the media to start this rubbish up again and cause mayhem around the UK.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Pricebytor,
Your remarks about pensioners with index linked pensions are uncalled for. Let’s be a bit kinder to those pensioners here who do not have this luxury and are living quiet lives here because they may have only a British state pension, plus their diminishing savings to live on.
Plus the knowledge that older people in their 60’s, 70’s and older are much more at risk if they catch the virus,

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

dodo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:45 am Galixinda
They are the original old pics of lockdown in the media to start this rubbish up again and cause mayhem around the UK.
That's as may be, but I would certainly be stocking up if I was living in the UK as it is inevitable the number of positive cases will rise in the cooler months - nothing to do with the behaviour we have seen in recent weeks as that introduces an unknown factor.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Princebytor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm Took the words right out of my mouth Dominic. Get a bit fed up sometimes of the 'I'm alright jack' brigade on here. An ex pat with an index linked pension can afford to hunker down, unlike some poor Cypriot working in the tourist trade with 3 kids to support.
I hadn't noticed that there was an ''I'm alright Jack' brigade on this forum - in fact most of the comments are well balanced and show a concern for everyone living here regardless of income level or background. Who knows what hardship some of the elderly have been through to get this far in life?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Princebytor wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm Took the words right out of my mouth Dominic. Get a bit fed up sometimes of the 'I'm alright jack' brigade on here. An ex pat with an index linked pension can afford to hunker down, unlike some poor Cypriot working in the tourist trade with 3 kids to support.
Good post, my wife helps out at a food bank,
and the amount of Cypriots turning up needing to get some food is a very sad sight,
a lot of expat pensioners, do realise the hardship that many family's are going through just putting food on the table, let alone paying any bills, as for all the im right jack, let them eat cake brigade, no one needs to hear your whinging
Last edited by WHL on Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

galexinda wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am
I hadn't noticed that there was an ''I'm alright Jack' brigade on this forum - in fact most of the comments are well balanced and show a concern for everyone living here regardless of income level or background. Who knows what hardship some of the elderly have been through to get this far in life?
Since this virus started, there have been many posts of people wanting the gates locked and not wanting any tourists in, I agree with the poster, its fantastic going to sleep at night knowing what ever happens you will have your pension to pay for your food and pay your bills, many many familys working in the tourist industry dont have that luxury, and go to bed worrying how they are going to make ends meet with zero income coming in.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

So.. Do we open the gates and let anyone in ??? Is that what you are advocating ??
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:37 am So.. Do we open the gates and let anyone in ??? Is that what you are advocating ??
I didnt say anyone.........People that have been tested and found to be negative, then yes
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

This debate will run and peoples’ opinions will no doubt depend on their own circumstances. I am aware of the very straightened circumstances many Cypriots (and doubtless others) find themselves in through no fault of their own. We contribute to local food banks and also to those in this area who have been offering hot meals to those in need. So many people we know have had their livelihoods stripped (and that includes some British people who worked locally and that work has dried up), and as far as I am aware the Cyprus government will struggle to help those in need. They cannot borrow money, or create money as the UK has been doing, and therein lies a potential disaster.

Of course opening the floodgates to tourists is not the answer (as those in the hospitality business are urging). If infections rise as they are doing in many European countries who have eased their lockdowns, Cyprus will end up back where it was in the Spring. And that way Armageddon lies.

Nailing my colours to the mast, I write this as a retired resident of eight years. My wife has her State Pension and a private pension, and I have my State Pension, my army pension and my teacher’s pension. So we sit comfortably but uneasily. My wife is very vulnerable and I am less so. We self-isolated before the Cyprus lockdown, and continue to be very vigilant and careful.

What’s the answer? I have no idea but I’m glad not to be the one making the decisions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think the Cyprus government has got the balance right.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 am I think the Cyprus government has got the balance right.
Maybe aye, maybe och aye! I sincerely hope that you are right. They do not seem to have been doing too badly up to now but it requires only one bad decision for the whole applecart to be upset. I have little confidence in the politicians or plutocrats listening to the scientists.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:25 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 am I think the Cyprus government has got the balance right.
Maybe aye, maybe och aye! I sincerely hope that you are right. They do not seem to have been doing too badly up to now but it requires only one bad decision for the whole applecart to be upset. I have little confidence in the politicians or plutocrats listening to the scientists.
It seems, even the scientists cant agree with themselves most of the time?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:25 pm
And yet, somehow, life goes on.