Add name to Title deeds

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
andrew2308

Add name to Title deeds

Post by andrew2308 »

Just joined this excellent and informative forum and hope someone out there can help.

My wife has her name on the title deeds and now wants me to have a 50% share. How can we do this if both of us are not actually in Cyprus and classed as non resident? What paperwork needs completing?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Lincoln

Re: Add name to Title deeds

Post by Lincoln »

Speak to a property Lawyer.
All things are possible
andrew2308

Post by andrew2308 »

Thanks for these replies. Do you know whether it is possible for memos or notes to be added to Title Deeds? eg...add son, daughter to deeds in the future?
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

This would need to be done using a power of attorney if you are not in Cyprus. Using someone like Charis as Lloyd recommends would be cheaper than using a lawyer. The fee itself for transfer to a spouse is 0.1% of current market value but as am not sure if this would apply just to add a name rather than transfer. The fee for transfer to children is NIL.

Hope this is of some help.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is my understanding that you cannot 'add' a name to a title deed.. Each person has their own deed ie Husband a deed with 50% of plot xxx And wife a separate deed with 50% of plot xxx
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes You are correct Trev, you will have a separate deed of the same plot/property showing your percentage of ownership. So the OP’s wife would be ‘transferring’ 50% to him so the 0.1% fee would apply on the market value of 50%.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Wererabbit

Post by Wererabbit »

Hi

Is there a form at the Land registry or something that is used to gift half the property into another name without using a lawyer? I think this is the case in the UK and with not working much this year I don't have the cash to give to someone else for doing something I can do myself.

Thanks
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:50 am Yes You are correct Trev, you will have a separate deed of the same plot/property showing your percentage of ownership. So the OP’s wife would be ‘transferring’ 50% to him so the 0.1% fee would apply on the market value of 50%.

Jeanne
Back in 2017 when my then terminally ill hisband transferred his 50% title to me, there was no transfer fee payable. I understood at the time that transfers to spouse, siblings or parents carried no transfer fee.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wererabbit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:38 pm Hi

Is there a form at the Land registry or something that is used to gift half the property into another name without using a lawyer? I think this is the case in the UK and with not working much this year I don't have the cash to give to someone else for doing something I can do myself.

Thanks
There obviously are forms to fill in, probably more than one.. It may be possible to do it yourself, but I think there is some running about to do as well. The best thing to do is go and have a word with someone at the Land Registry and see what you would need, If indeed that are open in these restrictive times
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Unfortunately, anything to do with property ownership, needs a lawyer here. Partly, because you need the help of someone bi lingual who can deal with all the procedures.There are forms to be filled in. You will need to produce your existing title deed document, plus possibly the bill of sale. You will both have a separate title deed issued. If you are not in Cyprus, you will need to give a trusted lawyer power of attorney.

If it isn't urgent, can it wait until you next come to Cyprus?
Dee
darrow

Post by darrow »

You do need a lawyer but not power of attorney. Everything can be done by sending forms over the net. I did this when selling in UK. I used my UK solicitor and we communicated by email. All went through O.K.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You just go into registry with your original deeds, passport or yellow slip and say you want to split the property 50%, the lady helps you fill in the form, pay a nominal fee and go back in about three weeks to collect individual Deeds.
No Lawyer if you go yourself or you can give power of attorney to a Lawyer.

Jim
Vlad-P

Post by Vlad-P »

Hello

Can someone else get my title deeds if i am not in Cyprus
Last edited by Vlad-P on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J B

Post by J B »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am You just go into registry with your original deeds, passport or yellow slip and say you want to split the property 50%, the lady helps you fill in the form, pay a nominal fee and go back in about three weeks to collect individual Deeds.
But they said in the OP <<How can we do this if both of us are not actually in Cyprus>>
J B
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

J B wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:08 pm
Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am You just go into registry with your original deeds, passport or yellow slip and say you want to split the property 50%, the lady helps you fill in the form, pay a nominal fee and go back in about three weeks to collect individual Deeds.
But they said in the OP <<How can we do this if both of us are not actually in Cyprus>>
They will have to give Power of Attorney to a Lawyer, someone like Ruth Hatfield who is an advocate and deals with that sort of thing.
I'd be very surprised if people could transfer property deeds to other people on line, you either have to do it in person or get a Lawyer to do it for you as I said in my initial post.

Jim
darrow

Post by darrow »

That is what I said. If you are not in Cyprus you will need a lawyer, but they shouldn't need power of attorney. You sign something online that gives them permission to act on your behalf. They can send any documentation via email. You sign, scan and send back. At least that's what I did. If you are paying for a lawyer why pay extra for power of attorney. My solicitor actually told me that when I said I wanted to give them power of attorney . She said not necessary these days. That was UK, so maybe they are still operating in the old fashioned way here. Best contant a lawyer and ask.