Snake identification...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Snake identification...

Post by MacManiac »

We have a snake in the back garden and would like some help identifying it.

How do I get my photo to appear on this forum? It is currently in the “Photos” album on my iPad.
Kili01

Re: Snake identification...

Post by Kili01 »

Describe the snakes colour, size and anything else which you noticed about it. I saw one myself a couple of days ago in my garden. The one I saw was slim, black,and about 5ft long, it moved v quickly away when we saw each other. I think it was a whip snake which is harmless.

Dee
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Grey mottled colour with a lot of black, and about two feet long.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Was it thick or thin in body.? What were its head shape and tail like and did it run away or hold its ground?
Dee
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

It was thinnish and when I picked it up in the pool net to deposit it over the wall, it curled up and raised its head. I almost had a heart attack. I didn’t get close enough to see the head shape which is why I wanted to post a picture.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

MacManiac wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:10 pm We have a snake in the back garden and would like some help identifying it.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/05/07/fore ... es-photos/

Max
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Managed to post the photograph on Fb and it was identified as a young whip snake so my heartbeat Is nearing normal.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I have been looking in my Cyprus Reptile book, and am glad that yours turned out to be a whipsnake. My book said that young Whip snakes have a greyish skin with markings.
There are 9 types of snakes here mainly harmless to man,, but only one, the Blunt Nose Viper is very poisonous when it bites.

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

http://www.bnellis.eu/nature/natreptile.html

The above link will take you to pictures of all the snakes you may see and a description of most of them. We have had four different species in the garden.

I should like to make a point that the BNV is not poisonous but it is venomous. I have it on good authority from a local farmer that the flesh is delicious. That having been said, it is illegal to kill them or any other snake.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Devil wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:23 am http://www.bnellis.eu/nature/natreptile.html

The above link will take you to pictures of all the snakes you may see and a description of most of them. We have had four different species in the garden.

I should like to make a point that the BNV is not poisonous but it is venomous. I have it on good authority from a local farmer that the flesh is delicious. That having been said, it is illegal to kill them or any other snake.
Thanks for that link, Devil.