Coronavirus: TUI cancels all holidays to Cyprus until August 23

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Coronavirus: TUI cancels all holidays to Cyprus until August 23

Post by Paphos Life »

British tour and flight operator TUI announced on Wednesday that it was cancelling all holidays to Cyprus until August 23, citing the testing requirements imposed by the Cypriot authorities....

Read the article and chat about it below...
PhotoLady

Re: Coronavirus: TUI cancels all holidays to Cyprus until August 23

Post by PhotoLady »

Good for them by sticking to their guns.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It's only fair on the country to which these tourists are going. Mostly, these people will be here for a fortnight or so, but for the population who live in Cyprus we need to keep as much control over the number of Covid cases on island as possible.

It should be the responsibility of the UK to set up testing stations for travelers and to make it easier for people to get their Covid tests done before traveling abroad.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The tough policy of the Cyprus Government is perhaps only a excuse for TUI, looking for business and not only losses. TUI received these days another huge loan from the German Government, after already 1.8 bio Euro previously, in order to survive. Also their main shareholder (Russian) perhaps has to agree business matters. If one is interested this todays article explains a lot........ https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2020- ... HffzD.html

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you read the article, Cyprus is only one of several countries affected. People take all this far too personally. TUI are acting in the best interests of their customers. Cyprus (and Malta etc) are acting in the best interests of their population. Unfortunately, in strange times like these, there is no perfect solution.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 am It's only fair on the country to which these tourists are going. Mostly, these people will be here for a fortnight or so, but for the population who live in Cyprus we need to keep as much control over the number of Covid cases on island as possible.

It should be the responsibility of the UK to set up testing stations for travelers and to make it easier for people to get their Covid tests done before traveling abroad.

Dee
The UK does need to sort out pre-travel testing because too many people are bypassing the system of private testing and wasting the valuable resources by using the NHS free testing instead.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:09 am The tough policy of the Cyprus Government is perhaps only a excuse for TUI, looking for business and not only losses. TUI received these days another huge loan from the German Government, after already 1.8 bio Euro previously, in order to survive. Also their main shareholder (Russian) perhaps has to agree business matters. If one is interested this todays article explains a lot........ https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2020- ... HffzD.html

Max
This is the German contingency though, rather than UK. The German counterpart did throw a lifeline to the UK branch a while ago but at only because they forced them into making cuts elsewhere.
Germany is flying into Cyprus but UK isn't.

UK needs to sort itself out with regards to testing for travel....

The daftest news I've seen today is for entry into Tunisia from UK.
A pre-Covid test required no more than 72hrs before departure from UK.
14 day quarantine on arrival to stay within the confines of the hotel and grounds.
Can pay for a private test after 7 days and if negative no need for further quarantine in Tunisia.
On return to UK a further 14 days quarantine.

Just say no travel and leave it at that 🤐
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Both Jet2 and Tui have been quite vociferous on this subject. It's one thing saying they are acting in their customers interests, but they have also been accused of 'bludgeoning' Govt's of various countries, Spain , Italy and Greece for example to take their untested clients with the threat of canceling their holiday flights. Several cash strapped countries caved in. These 2 companies don't care what happens about spreading the virus. Cyprus Govt to give them credit didn't. These companies will be soon flying here, but hopefully their passengers will be mindful of Cyprus's health requirements.

Its also fair to say that these 2 companies, plus EasyJet have all incurred serious losses as a result of the Pandemic. But so have all airlines, large and small world wide.

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

You say that the woman who has infected thirty people in Cyprus was a tourist. I understood that she was returning to Cyprus, i.e. a resident of Cyprus.

If this is the case, you not blame the 'tourist' for every infection in Cyprus, put the blame fairly and squarely where it lies.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Surely if she was entering Cyprus at that time as a tourist, she would not have been allowed in.

Either way Lloyd, it will be interesting to see how she is dealt with by the authorities.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I imagine that the likes of TUI, whilst desperate to get their numbers and income up, simply don’t want the hassle of dealing with package holiday clients who test positive whilst on one of their package holidays and are staying in one of the many block booked hotels in Paphos. They are simply not geared up for the type of mass logistical grief that could cause them. We know their accounting systems and contact centres couldn’t cope with the mass changes that impacted us when our cruise was cancelled in the spring.

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Regarding this 'American' Cypriot lady, my understanding is that she had received special permission to come here for a holiday and to visit her Cypriot family living here. This is quite likely as the USA at present is a Cat C country, so actually anyone wanting to come from America had to do this in order to get permission... But she was supposed on arrival to be self isolating for 14 days. Instead she went out to a party and subsequently organised a birthday party for her daughter! When she developed Covid symptoms, allegedly, she was sent into Government Controlled quarantine place. Apparently, as a result of her jazzing about Cyprus, it turned out she had 50 contacts. Most of whom have since developed the virus. There were also reports that the police were thinking of taking action against her with possibly a fine of €50,000.

But I haven't seen anything subsequently to say if she has been charged or not.

So, perhaps you can understand why the police and Cypriot authorities have taken this very seriously. They are being v tough now, masks worn when ever you go into any public building or shop, mall, supermarket. Also rigid protocol in all catering establishments and very thorough hygiene procedures. Anyone caught not following the rules is liable to a min €300 euro fine. This Is making people quick to wear their masks where req'd.
Incidetally, inside a restaurant, obviously diners don't wear masks while eating! All staff wear masks.
Here our Govt is really trying to reduce infection as much as they possibly can.
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Apologies Lloyd, it appears I was wrong.

Dee, with hindsight she should not have been allowed entry, surely a family visit is hardly an essential cause to gain a permit, however it's too late now. She deliberately defied the rules of entry, with dire consequences for many people. One might say with friends like that, who needs enemies. she has a lot to answer for. Just glad she wasn't from Britain.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with much of what you wrote.Her name hasn't been released and I guess most people don't know who her 'connections' are here.

Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Exactly the scenario i was thinking of in my previous post:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... reece.html

Just not worth the aggro of travelling unless absolutely necessary.

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The BBC News today. UK has now done it again! Less than 24 hrs notice given to holidaying Brits in France, Holland, Belgium and Malta. The number of Covid cases in all these countries has now risen substantially, so anyone not back in the UK by 4 am tomorrow, will have to go into 14day isolation on their return to UK. Which is bad news for those who have to go back to work.

So, it seems that countries that let Brits in untested end up,with a problem with a return of the virus, while those who may have added to this, are told to go back home poste haste by their government.

Will this happen to Cyprus too?

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I shouldn't think so Dee, the requirements of entry to Cyprus are strict, so it shouldn't be a problem, unless you have sudden spike in cases.

Jackie
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Reckon if I had a hankering for travelling abroad (from Jockland) right now. . . . I'd be hanging a bell around my neck shouting "unclean . . . UNCLEAN." However, I don't have yon hankering. Not even for a millisecond.

I will be going to Granton on Spey with my wee 4 berth caravan which, in real life takes two. Our wee dog will chase rabbits for her life and I will prepare grub . . . . . In the sun. . . . . . or the rain. Matters not a whit.

So long as we are all safe and happy. That is what is important.

Maggie B
June

Post by June »

Well said Maggie :)
Hope you have a lovely time, and the frigging midgies don't bite as much as the mossies do :(
Never found that they do but probably acclimatised :D Prob you are too :)

At least you're not starting your holiday with a probe up your nose and dancing with your tonsils.
Or stressed filling the 24 flight pass thing.

Seriously any of you who have done so have my utter admiration xx
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We cancelled our holiday plans for next month to Tenerife after the announcement of quarantine upon returning to the UK and saw hotels due to reopen in several destinations in Spanish resorts said they were staying closed or would close after the last British departures when package operators stopped flights again.

We didn't want half a holiday as we were going back for the first time after many years with a plan in mind for the future. So we cancelled just the day before the final balance was due.

We're now going on a coach holiday to Tenby for 5 days very soon. We booked as a Super Saver not knowing the destination or hotel but knew it would be one of half a dozen tours all departing from the North West UK on the same date.

We've saved £100pp by booking this way now we've been allocated our tour plus I get a further refund of £27 by buying through TopCashBack. 5 days on half board in a hotel overlooking the beach and Gower Rock, travel and two days of excursions included while reliving childhood memories of family holidays isn't bad at a total cost of under £400 for us both.

We need a change of scenery as the furthest we have ventured from our village by the sea has been to Blackpool just once and about 3 times to Cleveleys. The biggest excitement was a train ride to Crewe and back for the day at the end of July to visit a friend who we met when she was also living in Cyprus many years ago. We see her maybe a couple of times a year and she's a bit of a recluse now, a big change from her previous lifestyle so we like to keep an eye on her. We speak on the phone every couple of weeks but it's still good to see she's doing okay as she's in her mid 80s.

We will go overseas again soon enough but it will be a case of pack, book and go. Not planning ahead this time!