Sarcasm

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Maggie B

Sarcasm

Post by Maggie B »

'The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.'

Yes, I googled the definition. Cause I'm not as clever as Devil! 🤣 (And I suffer no shame in that fact).

My three kids all laugh at, and are sometimes shocked by my sarcastic comments . . . . . .mostly, because they are almost always used in fun. :shock: Occassionally, I've got it completely wrong. Ooooft! 😣 Not good. :cry:

Max said in a different topic we should post something ourselves and not comment sarcastically on others posts which we may or not not be interested in. I agree with him.

I have posted this to ask any of you folks if you have ever experienced sarcasm . . . . . . . . .which has 'cut you to the quick?' It's a cruel thing if you are at the receiving end of it.

No Coronavirus. No Covid 19. No Cyta (fab service) No nothing except sarcasm. I bet Max would love to see/hear your thoughts on the matter.

Maggie B
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Sarcasm

Post by Dominic »

Different countries have different senses of humour. Irony and sarcasm, along with self-depreciation, are hallmarks of British wit. Personally I think what Max has occasionally experienced is bitchiness and spite. IE there is no wit involved.

I've worked in the past with a lot of people who spoke English as a second language, so I know that they don't have the nuances that native English speakers do. This is especially true if you hear a Dutch person swear in English. Perhaps some people see this lack of nuance as a sign of bluntness or arrogance? I don't know. My attitude has always been to never criticise a non-native speaker's language unless I can do so in their native tongue. To date that would limit my criticism to French people putting bicycles in garages, or Latin people sending a big bone to their dog from across the sea.

Now, in terms of sarcasm, a number of people took the piss out of the new webcam, on Facebook. They wondered why it wasn't a video stream and why it only updated every 15 minutes. That sort of thing. Well, it wasn't a video stream because they cost a fair bit of money to implement, and it only updated every 15 minutes because until then, there had been no need to update a webcam any more frequently. Let's face it, the Polemi vineyard is lovely to look at but doesn't have a lot of action. But now it updates every minute, because there are quite a few people along the sea front these days.

And that has caused another problem. We had a couple of complaints about privacy issues, and a threat to report the website to the authorities because it breaks EU law. People are identifiable in the images. Turns out, the complaints are valid. So we have pointed the camera higher. It looks better now, but we will also have to blur the lower half of the image a bit, so faces aren't recognisable. That will be a pain, but it is not insurmountable. But I guarantee you that when I do that, those same ignorant wankers will be back on Facebook slagging it off again.

But my motto has always been publish and be damned. Screw them if they don't like it. And I say to Max, if you stop posting your photos and restaurant reviews, the moaners will have won.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And I have to admit I thought the auto censor would have kicked in there. :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm And I have to admit I thought the auto censor would have kicked in there. :lol:
As your in Cyprus, Malaka might of been a more appropriate word to use? :lol:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Use sarcasm? Moi? Surely not! (And I can just hear a friend of mine shouting "don't call me Shirley"!)
😂😂
I remember many years ago, decades really. Yes, my memory is that good! 😀
I used to walk from my workplace round to my husband's shop so we could eat together during his closed for lunch period. One day I forgot to lock the door behind me. We were about halfway through our lunch, the shop opening times sign was clearly on the door, but that didn't stop Madam from bursting in and demanding to be served.
"You don't mind if I just finish my sandwich first, do you?" asked hubby, somewhat sarcastically.
"No, no, go ahead, I just want ..."
Sarcasm was totally wasted on her. 🙄🙄
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

🤣🤣🤣 Thank you for taking the time to type yon mine of information out Dominic from your point if view.

Think the the only swear word I know in French is Merde and I was taught that word from my French teacher in 1974! (I sincerely hope he wasn't thinking about me when he said It!)

As for criticism of your Webcam. . . . . . Well, that is just completely and utterly simple. It is fabulous. I looked at it this very morning at 7am here in Inverness. (9am your time). The sun was blasting out in the harbour and it brought back lovely memories for me. Just fabulous.

I could probably teach you even badder words than you already know for your FB fans. 🤣

Old Wifies say it how it is. 😍

Maggie B

PS the other Brian. Hope you got your Wallies sorted out. X

PPS Kaye I typed out a huge reply to your post but, my big fat brute of a thumb deleted It!!! Suffice to say it was a nice reply . . . Cause I happen to know you also are one of the good doods. 😁i

PPPS, I snapped my front right crown off the day after lock down here in Jockland. A piece of salted Licorice got welded on to my tooth . . . . And the rest is history. SNAP!! I have not not been able to eat properly for 4 months and it as been tricky to say the least! Got my tooth fixed today and had to pay privately £1072 for it. Best money I have ever spent. Sometimes it's the simple things in life.

Maggie B
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

[quote="Maggie B" post_id=121018 time=1596740472 user_id=81]

Think the the only swear word I know in French is Merde and I was taught that word from my French teacher in 1974! (I sincerely hope he wasn't thinking about me when he said It!)

Apparently why the Toyota MR2 [mr deux ] didn't sell well in France
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Maggie B wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 pm
PPS Kaye I typed out a huge reply to your post but, my big fat brute of a thumb deleted It!!! Suffice to say it was a nice reply . . . Cause I happen to know you also are one of the good doods. 😁i

Maggie B
Aaaw, thanks Maggie, blush blush.
Glad you got your tooth sorted - now be careful next time you eat salted liquorice! 😀
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I know lots of filthy phrases in Malaysian. I was taught them by my Malaysian roommates at University. We would take turns teaching each other the most disgusting phrases we could think of. Good times...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Gone are the good old days![
attachment=0]Jerry opinion.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Jerry opinion.jpg
Jerry opinion.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nothing to do with that at all. You've picked up completely the wrong end of the stick.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

“There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter” – Billy Connolly

“Glasgow is a very negative place. If Kanye was born in Glasgow he would have been called No You Cannae” – Frankie Boyle

Man walks into a Glasgow pub and asks for a pint of lager with a dash of lime.

“We don’t do cocktails,” replies the barman.”

Scottish Sarcasm
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

No doubt. Sarcasm comes in many different forms.🤔 But mainly, I think it is quite clever and mostly funny . . . . . . .unless it is cruel! Don't like cruel. 😡

MB
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:02 pm I know lots of filthy phrases in Malaysian. I was taught them by my Malaysian roommates at University. We would take turns teaching each other the most disgusting phrases we could think of. Good times...
I was taught some of the filthiest rhymes by my big brother when he came home from the Merchant Navy. I was twelve years old and, to this day, I find them shockingly hilarious. . . . . But, I would never repeat them now, not even if you pulled my fingernails out. 😣😣😣

Maggie
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Maggie B wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:07 pm I was taught some of the filthiest rhymes by my big brother when he came home from the Merchant Navy. I was twelve years old and, to this day, I find them shockingly hilarious. . . . . But, I would never repeat them now, not even if you pulled my fingernails out. 😣😣😣

Maggie
Not even the one about the good ship Venus???
June

Post by June »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:46 pm “There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter” – Billy Connolly

“Glasgow is a very negative place. If Kanye was born in Glasgow he would have been called No You Cannae” – Frankie Boyle

Man walks into a Glasgow pub and asks for a pint of lager with a dash of lime.

“We don’t do cocktails,” replies the barman.”

Scottish Sarcasm
:D :D :D
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Devil wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 am
Maggie B wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:07 pm I was taught some of the filthiest rhymes by my big brother when he came home from the Merchant Navy. I was twelve years old and, to this day, I find them shockingly hilarious. . . . . But, I would never repeat them now, not even if you pulled my fingernails out. 😣😣😣

Maggie
Not even the one about the good ship Venus???
Is that the one where the Captain lost his fiddle :lol:
All things are possible
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

''British sense of humour'' tends to go right over my head.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:49 am Not even the one about the good ship Venus???

Is that the one where the Captain lost his fiddle :lol:
I think that song had something like 20 odd verses, each one more obscene than the previous one. I have tried to forget everything that I learned when I was in the army, so I cannot quote the song verbatim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Ship_Venus
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

I have been tempted to click on your link Devil . . . . But, I won't. Not for a millisecond!

Jimgward. I understand that humour. Very very DRY.

Lincoln, think you may be a brat too😉.

MB