Sturgeon Moon tonight

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Sturgeon Moon tonight

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Just after 8 o'clock Sturgeon Moon climbed over the horizon, unfortunately high humidity....

changing quick the color

and maximum zoom

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Sturgeon Moon tonight

Post by Dominic »

Sturgeon?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I thought it was a harvest moon, but apparently that is not till 1 October, being the closest full moon to the autumn equinox of 22 Sept.

The August full moon is called the Sturgeon moon because sturgeon were traditionally caught in the Great Lakes during the full moon in August.

Isn't Mr Google clever, knowing all this? πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Galini

Post by Galini »

Lovely photos, thanks for posting.

I sat out under the moon for a while last night as it was so beautiful
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Stunning photos
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Oh! so that's where she gets her crazy policies from.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PW in Polemi wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:30 am I thought it was a harvest moon, but apparently that is not till 1 October, being the closest full moon to the autumn equinox of 22 Sept.

The August full moon is called the Sturgeon moon because sturgeon were traditionally caught in the Great Lakes during the full moon in August.

Isn't Mr Google clever, knowing all this? πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
If I had wanted to google it I would have googled it. I wanted to hear what Max had to say on the subject. And his response would also informed other people.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic, Sorry, but I think that was an unkind posting and un necessary.
It almost amounts to censorship of a kind. Already the number of people who post on here has dropped and seems almost limited now to the same few people.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How is this censorship? If anything, telling somebody to use google is more akin to censorship. But PW was being lighthearted. I suppose I could have finished up my post with a :P smiley but I didn't think it necessary.

Regarding posting figures, they have remained fairly constant over the years. Some people no longer post, for any number of reasons, but some posters are relatively new. The basic fact is that facebook is now a much bigger thing.

For instance, our Facebook Chat group, Paphos Chat, now has nearly 9000 member.s Cor.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paphoschat

Personally, I prefer using a traditional forum, but Facebook wins out on the convenience factor. I have been meaning to integrated facebook login to the forum, as that would make it more accessible to "the younger crowd".
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Dominic wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am If I had wanted to google it I would have googled it. I wanted to hear what Max had to say on the subject. And his response would also informed other people.
I know you would have googled it if you had wanted to, Dominic, but many people seem to forget or even be unaware that google exists....
Anyway, surely my response "informed other people" somewhat quicker than waiting for Max to respond. πŸ™‚

But don't worry, I don't agree with Kili01. I don't feel that what you wrote was either unkind or almost censorship. You are too even handed as admin to censor unnecessarily. πŸ™‚
Kay
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are the wind beneath my wings. :)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

In which case, Dominic, I hope during this current hot spell, you remembered the deodourant! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Kay
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Max has had some horrible stuff/comments to deal with, (in my opinion) since this forum was 'born.' However, I don't believe in this instance anyone or anybody was being unkind to him?

He does not appear to take offence and just goes on posting stuff which he thinks will be interesting to some of us. For me, lots of his topics have been interesting, informative and delightful to see. Others have not been so.

I too, would be interested in hearing Max's explanation of his Sturgeon moon thing . . . . .without Googling.

Don't let the odd twit get you down Max. 🀣🀣🀣🀣 (😨😭😒🀀That was a very very bad word for me to use).

Maggie B

PS Twit is not the word I used. Dominic has censored me! The b*gger that he is! :D
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

clive of payia wrote: ↑Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 am Oh! so that's where she gets her crazy policies from.
And what would those crazy policies be? How has she performed versus Johnson, or May?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We posted Max's review of his favourite fish restaurant on Google reviews, using some of his pictures (with his permission of course). Some of his fish pics have been seen over 20,000 times now. So other people like them too.

It is also an observed phenomenon that more people view threads which have a lot of comments on. So I am fairly certain that Max won't mind people posting on this thread at all.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Maggie B wrote: ↑Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:52 pm Max has had some horrible stuff/comments to deal with, (in my opinion) since this forum was 'born.' However, I don't believe in this instance anyone or anybody was being unkind to him?

He does not appear to take offence and just goes on posting stuff which he thinks will be interesting to some of us. For me, lots of his topics have been interesting, informative and delightful to see. Others have not been so.

I too, would be interested in hearing Max's explanation of his Sturgeon moon thing . . . . .without Googling.

Don't let the odd twit get you down Max. 🀣🀣🀣🀣 (😨😭😒🀀That was a very very bad word for me to use).

Maggie B

PS Twit is not the word I used. Dominic has censored me! The b*gger that he is! :D
The censorship is automatic, and in place to encourage the less imaginative to apply a bit more flair to their responses. Hem hem.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Thank God for google, without it I wouldn't understand, what the long words Devil often uses, mean, along with some other Clever people who post on here :shock: :lol:
Last edited by WHL on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Watch out for the Halibut Moon which is due tonight.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Maggie B wrote: ↑Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:52 pm Max has had some horrible stuff/comments to deal with, (in my opinion) since this forum was 'born.' However, I don't believe in this instance anyone or anybody was being unkind to him?

Maggie B

Thanks for your very kind post Maggie B., where you got to the heart of the situation. Unfortunately my English is not good enough, as I am not a native English speaker, to start arguing when I get stupid responds to my posts. I already reduced posting too many photos or little blogs on this forum as a result, because sometimes also I take offence. There will come the time and I stop posting completely. On the other hand it is always the few same ones which posts in a unkind manner and why should the majority on here, which obviously enjoy most of my posts, suffer. Sometimes I get the impression that members only want to start arguments, whatever topic, because they are bored with their lives, instead to provide interesting topics themselves.

If one is interested in night sky photography, then you know also the names of certain moon phases, that's why I mentioned the Sturgeon Moon. Whatever subject it is, I want to do it as perfect as possible or I just don't do it at all. That's me, I can't help.

Max
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Well said Max. By the way, your English is certainly good enough for EVERYONE to understand and you underestimate yourself completely.

I wonder how many languages 'the same ones' can speak or write and be understood? Unfortunately, their sarcasm always comes across. What is it they say about the lowest form of wit? πŸ€”

Maggie B