Cyta ... hmm

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Cyta ... hmm

Post by MacManiac »

We lost our internet connection on 23rd July and an engineer from Cyta arrived a day later and told us “It wasn’t working”. He then phoned and said the “underground team” would sort the problem out on the Saturday or the following Monday. On Monday nothing was working and I telephoned 132. I was told the “underground team” would not arrive until the following day. I telephoned every day to be fobbed off with various excuses, including the claim it was an area problem.

Eventually I drove to the shop in Polis and spoke to the lovely Leonides. He could not reach the “underground team” and so made a call to someone in Paphos. The “underground team” returned his call within minutes. They would arrive on the Friday to resolve the problem. On Friday I was telephoned by Cyta and told they could not fix the problem and would return on Monday to replace the cable.

You can imagine my surprise when a couple of guys arrived mid-morning and started cutting wires in the box in the side of my house. Within five minutes we were connected and he came to show me the cable which had been nibbled by a a mouse. We were back online.

You can imagine what I felt when I accessed my bank account online to find that Cyta had called the full direct debit even though I had been without the service for twelve days. There will be interesting conversations tomorrow.
Lincoln

Re: Cyta ... hmm

Post by Lincoln »

You will be liable in my opinion. As the fault was not of their doing (mouse).
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

My recent problem (no internet) was a village problem and Cyta told me it was not their fault, it was after several days Primetel contacted them and said many of their members were having the same trouble as we were, Cyta fixed it in minutes, why is always your fault with Cyta and I reiterate they said they would not send any engineers to fix the problem? and they didn't.All good now thankfully.
Jim.
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

We’ve always been very pleased with our service from Cyta.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cyta service is second to none, ring them up with a problem with your internet, and they will talk you through it with patience , and understanding over and over until the problem is solved, cant recommend them enough.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

These sorts of problems affected me when I lived at Kamares and I had many discussions with Cyta engineers. I always found them unfailingly courteous and helpful. Like you, we had weeks when the wireless problems affected us. But their vans would eventually come and they always sorted out the problem which was in the underground cabling or the crammed junction boxes (is that correct terminology?)
The problem of living out of town and also, living some way from the exchange did make reception of signals more difficult.
Since I moved to a village close to Paphos and not far from hotels the service is much more reliable now.
Dee
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I understood that the network was the responsibility of CYTA and that the other companies buy their access from them. That was how it was when the opening-up of the island to new phone companies had to happen, just as it did in the UK when BT lost their monopoly. Whether Primetel and others have laid their own cables I don't know, but it's always a CYTA engineers van parked by the distribution boxes or seen laying cables.

A year ago I had problems with my overhead phone line from a distant pole & whilst I subscribe to Primetel, it was CYTA that came with 10 men plus equipment to provide a new overhead wire.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was asked by a friend if I could fix his phone line in to his house as Cyta would not do anything in the house.
He was told that there not responsible for the wiring in your house.
The Cyta engineer gave him some cable to do the connection which he asked me to do, having got that job done there was one more job.
His office phone was not working as the calls are through the router and this was not connected, this phone had been connected to the line on the roof
I then had to run a cat6e cable for 30 meters around his house so as to connect it to a live phone socket to get it working.
You now cannot connect to the phone lines before the router!!
This stops the line working.

Primetel use Cyta lines I was told.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I had all those phone on line help calls from Cyta, hopeless and of course that was not the problem of our equipment as we kept saying to them, it was at their end, why did they not apologise to many users of the systems, how hard would that have been? sorry but they are not all down at Cyta sweetness and light, but like many say, who else have we got here?, all the others use Cyta systems, as I posted it was Primetel who contacted Cyta to say it was they who had a problem. Oh well here's to the next time and forget that the customer is always wrong!! :D
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We've always found Cyta service second to none. Much better than the service we got from BT and Virgin back in the UK.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

What else is there Dom?, and once you do get a problem you will change your opinion.I know nothing of any UK service last time I lived there I was on dial up.

My post is the truth as it happened thank goodness to Primetel for sorting the mess out for many residents in our area, I did go through the phone help that was as usual a joke, pull this out pull that out, truly stupid as the fault was them. I have had decent service over my 20 years of Cyta but remember just how expensive it is and when you need help they should be open and apologise for wasting many hours of our time, of course they won't!. rant over until the next cock up by them.
Jim.
Paul

Post by Paul »

In 2011 there was a bad thunder storm and we lost our internet due to a ground strike of lightning, the cyta router would not connect.

So I changed from it to my netgear one and we got our connection back.

I do not know if you can do this now but I may try it one day to see!!