Glad to be here: UK tourists land in Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Glad to be here: UK tourists land in Cyprus

Post by Paphos Life »

The first tourists from the UK since it was placed in category B arrived in Cyprus on Saturday amid more than a week of confusion surrounding Covid-19 testing requirements and the increased hassles of travelling during a pandemic....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Diocletian

Re: Glad to be here: UK tourists land in Cyprus

Post by Diocletian »

Sounds encouraging especially now the test situation has been resolved satisfactorily. This means that I may have to skip my pre-Cyprus fortnight in Crete.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Good morning.

Obviously we all hope tourism starts gain, but many who live here fear what could come with them, as long as opening up again to tourists this is done safely as possible.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I think most of us living here will agree with you, Jim.
Cyprus Govt seem to be doing the best that they can to ensure this, even though many may find the present arrival procedures a bit daunting.

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We shall continue to avoid all the tourist areas. Continue to wear our masks. Shop early where the tourists do not go. Cross fingers that the dreaded COVID-19 does not spread.
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 am Cross fingers that the dreaded COVID-19 does not spread.
I fear that it will require a little bit more then crossing your fingers. Quite frankly, the best way of ensuring that the disease will be sufficiently limited in Cyprus is by refusing to allow tourists from countries with high rates of infection and raising rates of infection to even enter. Yes, the overblown tourist industry will suffer, will suffer deeply, but this is a small price to pay when compared with the alternative of a country crippled with the disease, with its long-term economic catastrophe in tow.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I see that Jet2 Holidays are urging Cyprus to review what they regard as prohibitive entry criteria for British Tourists bit rich coming from a country that at last count had 771 new cases and 74 deaths, with close on 5,000 new cases in the last week
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems that Jet2 has little regard for people's health in the recipient country which they are trying to bring planeloads of tourists to. They are simply trying to bludgeon the Govt into
letting them land here without complying with the countries health safety requirements. Look what happened in Spain a few weeks ago when the untested Brits arrived en masse..

Dee.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:20 pm Sounds encouraging especially now the test situation has been resolved satisfactorily. This means that I may have to skip my pre-Cyprus fortnight in Crete.
Just as well, since yesterday Cyprus declared Greece and her islands a Category B and now requires the PCR test prior to entering Cyprus.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:24 am It seems that Jet2 has little regard for people's health in the recipient country which they are trying to bring planeloads of tourists to. They are simply trying to bludgeon the Govt into
letting them land here without complying with the countries health safety requirements. Look what happened in Spain a few weeks ago when the untested Brits arrived en masse..

Dee.
That was not related to tourists coming from UK. The spikes were already on the mainland and just like Cyprus, August is when the Spanish mainland residents go to holiday on the islands.
The fear from UK and the reason for their change regarding Spain and the islands is to stop any further increase in UK upon return.

And exactly the reason why Cyprus made their change for Greece yesterday. The majority of increased cases in Cyprus are being traced back to arrivals from Greece.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I don’t know about Greece, but three cases who tested positive in Limassol had been in contact with a women who tested positive after traveling from the United States, she had been told to self isolate for two weeks, instead she hosted a party for her daughter, attended social gatherings even traveled outside Larnaca, local media said 14 people in Larnaca who came in contact with the carrier tested positive, while 50 others tracked down thro contact tracing were instructed to self isolate.