Travelling To Cyprus From The UK - Clarifications

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Travelling To Cyprus From The UK - Clarifications

Post by Dominic »

The government made the following clarifications concerning passengers travelling to Cyprus from the UK. NHS Covid notification WILL be allowable in digital form, provided the .appointment confirmation is included. Applications may be submitted as from 20:00 (UK time), on 31st of July 2020. Read the full announcement here.

Read the article and chat about it below...

travel-clarifications.jpg
travel-clarifications.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Re: Travelling To Cyprus From The UK - Clarifications

Post by mike strand2 »

Commonsense prevails :D
kansas

Post by kansas »

Quite a few flights coming in today. I don't think we'll be frequenting the Paphos hot spots for a while.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I would be more concerned about Limassol hotspots for the time being.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:22 am I would be more concerned about Limassol hotspots for the time being.
Just looking at the offerings with TUI package holidays from north west UK to Cyprus in 2 weeks time, only a handful of accommodations are in Limassol.
The remainder are mostly all around Paphos, Coral Bay in the West and Protaras, Ayia Napa in the East. About half a dozen hotels in Limassol.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Photo Lady,
Are you working for TUI and/or Jet 2 as-you keep on talking about them?
I thought that the NW of the UK was presently under lock down?
I wonder how you know whether they Will be coming here as so far UK is a Cat B country. If it still is they will all need tests for Covid and Cyprus Flight Passes.

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

Part of the NW is under lockdown, not all.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Greater Manchester has increased restrictions but it is hardly a lockdown. Leicester was the only real local lockdown and that is now being eased. I would suspect that GM will be locked down at some point.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:13 pm Photo Lady,
Are you working for TUI and/or Jet 2 as-you keep on talking about them?
I thought that the NW of the UK was presently under lock down?
I wonder how you know whether they Will be coming here as so far UK is a Cat B country. If it still is they will all need tests for Covid and Cyprus Flight Passes.

Dee
No, I am not.... I did work in UK tour ops for 10 years so take an interest plus the biggest UK tour operators are TUI and Jet2.

And, the north west of UK is not in lockdown. I've no idea where you are getting your information from but you need to research some more.

There are some restrictions and it's all related to the Eid al-Hada celebrations, due to end very soon - hence why the restrictions are only in specific areas but it's absolutely not a lockdown.

Cat B UK is allowed into Cyprus from UK as from 1 August subject to the relevant test results / paperwork. NHS results are now also permitted but must provide the date and time of the Covid-19 test appointment.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Photo Lady,
Thanks for your clarification. Like most people living here we depend on the UK news reports and reports from our UK based friends. The BBC often has a 'doomwatch' kind of pessimism. Today they are highlighting the inadequacy of the UK's track and trace system and forecasts of a bigger 2nd wave of the virus in the UK!

By contrast, as you well know after living here, Cyprus has so far done very well with controlling and trying to reduce the spread of the virus here. Our track and trace system seens pretty good. But it is already being challenged by one or two very selfish and stupid people who having arrived from abroad have flouted the rules and behaved like idiots thus spreading the virus. One maybe be prosecuted.

Cyprus needs and welcomes tourists who behave responsibly!
They can have a good holiday here if they do!

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

They have indeed done well. I wish our own government had put any kind of lockdown in place far sooner than they did and even then, it was a half-assed one.

I just wish there was a better solution for the test pre-flight because it's not being fed out properly in all destinations where flights are operating from. Most likely not helped if people have travelled to Cyprus on a regular basis and quite simply haven't considered looking up any rules.

Some airlines saying it's not their responsibility to check the forms during this particular period seems somewhat pedantic too. I understand where they're coming from as really they're only interested in the documentation necessary to match their flight manifest but, it's a special time and we all have to do a bit extra just now.

Solution? Best option is for the Cyprus government to tell airlines anyone without the necessary paperwork on arrival will be immediately returned to the hands of the operator to take them home or the airline faces an on the spot fine. It would ensure they maintain a responsibility.

The tour operators and flight operators I've looked at in UK have the information on their websites but we all know not everyone will take the time to look or even read them properly.... Add to this the cancellations and package holidays being switched from one destination to another on a whim is yet another obstacle.

So many people who have only ever gone to Spain before are suddenly asking strangers if they should book Greece or Turkey and which will they like better! It really is total madness when it comes to travel from the UK. It must be a similar situation in other countries too.

We've already cancelled our previously cancelled and rebooked holiday to Tenerife in September. Not because of the quarantine on return but because we want to see the place in full operation not a half holiday as we haven't been there for over 25yrs and that was just a week with friends. We're considering it for a long term winter destination with a better guarantee of warmer weather and sunshine so we need to see exactly what's on offer.

Now, it's going to be a few days on a coach holiday in UK - one where we won't know the actual destination until we receive the paperwork and after we've paid for it.
But we will wait until Egypt is open and ready for business and give Sharm a test drive.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Photo Lady,
Just reading your answer. It seems that the UK travel industry hasn't yet adjusted to the new conditions regarding foreign travel now with the Covid19 ever present.
But they will have to, as apart from Covid, after 1st Jan 21, when the UK will no longer be a part of the EU, the current ease of travel through much of Europe may very likely change for all UK travelers.
Now, even with the rise of on line flight bookings, people making their bookings are responsible for making sure that they comply with the health restrictions for anyone traveling to another country. Cyprus is a country where they must have the correct documents, which also need to be initiated before they even leave the UK...
And yes, if they arrive here without them, they may be either turned back or fined€300 I think that I have read.
Even package tours may have to comply, though some carriers have already indicated their displeasure and offered other easier destinations instead.
Dee
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hi Dee

I think the only issue that UK tour operators have is with the test - not the flight pass. Once UK goes into Category A and a test is not required, they will be back in business.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:54 pm Hi Dee

I think the only issue that UK tour operators have is with the test - not the flight pass. Once UK goes into Category A and a test is not required, they will be back in business.

Jeanne
Yes, correct!
The test within the specified time period is the main issue especially for those with flights departing in the first couple of days of the week as it's nigh on impossible to get a test booked which includes the weekend.

But, there have been issues with passengers arriving without completing the flight pass form online 24hrs before departure. I don't know if these have originated from UK as the articles I've seen don't give any indication as to where the flights departed from.
As I've said, many people do not read or look for information especially if it's a destination they travel to regularly so don't feel they have a need to search for information even though there's a pandemic which may very well affect them.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:57 pm
Lofos-Jan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:54 pm Hi Dee

Jeanne
Yes, correct!
The test within the specified time period is the main issue especially for those with flights departing in the first couple of days of the week as it's nigh on impossible to get a test booked which includes the weekend.

But, there have been issues with passengers arriving without completing the flight pass form online 24hrs before departure. I don't know if these have originated from UK as the articles I've seen don't give any indication as to where the flights departed from.
As I've said, many people do not read or look for information especially if it's a destination they travel to regularly so don't feel they have a need to search for information even though there's a pandemic which may very well affect them.
As reported in CM yesterday, 21 booked for not having completed the flight pass. Why on earth cannot the airlines require this before people are allowed on the plane. They wouldn't let you on if you didn't have a visa, so what's the difference? I say send them back. Teach them a lesson.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/08/05/coro ... -measures/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, they will have been fined €300 each.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:23 pm Well, they will have been fined €300 each.
Hopefully you are right, but if they fail to pay that should flag up at passport control when they try to leave. If they want to catch their flight they'll have no option but to pay & most likely never ever come back!
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

"As reported in CM yesterday, 21 booked for not having completed the flight pass. Why on earth cannot the airlines require this before people are allowed on the plane. "

I'm flying Ryanair next week and received an email today alerting me to the need to complete travel documentation for Cyprus, with links to CyprusFlightPass. Similar warnings exist for flights to Spain & Italy.

Can't say people aren't warned.