UK tourists

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sued51

Re: UK tourists

Post by sued51 »

nholleran wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 pm We live near Manchester and cant get the private test rang Bupa and others and they not doing them only the NHS one but this wont be accepted will it any advise would be welcome as we have flights for the 5th August.
Neil
My daughter has a test booked with Doctorcall in St Anns Square on 4th August ready to hopefully fly here on 6th, £149 and guaranteed results within 48hrs, more likely within 24 hrs, she has to go for the initial appointment and then back for the results when they text her to get the written certificate. I think you can also get the test at Pall Mall on King St West and a couple of places on St John St, however whether you can get them at the right time for your flight is another matter, apparently 3rd August which was her first choice of date was fully booked a couple of weeks ago,so Good Luck!

Well worth the money in her case and she's only 10 minutes drive away, but not very practical for a family, not to mention expensive and then the possibility of quarantine on arrival back into the UK..... I think Paphos will continue to be very quiet for the foreseeable future
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I would warn anyone attempting the home test... most come back inconclusive in the NHS Experience. It takes training and skill to stick a long cotton bud far enough down your snozzle and doing it to yourself is very, very difficult, I'm told by my Consultant friend. He does not think a high enough number of people will get conclusive results from PCR home testing.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

A number worth noting is that the NHS pays £79 per PCR test - so the mailorder ones seem a bargain! Beware.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

J B

Post by J B »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm Nearly everywhere is open and there is plenty of space for social distancing as resorts are uncrowded this year and the weather is hot and sunny!
Looking at the webcam of Paphos Harbour, I would say that place is dead!
J B
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

sued51 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 pm
My daughter has a test booked with Doctorcall in St Anns Square on 4th August ready to hopefully fly here on 6th, £149 and guaranteed results within 48hrs, more likely within 24 hrs, she has to go for the initial appointment and then back for the results when they text her to get the written certificate. I think you can also get the test at Pall Mall on King St West and a couple of places on St John St, however whether you can get them at the right time for your flight is another matter, apparently 3rd August which was her first choice of date was fully booked a couple of weeks ago,so Good Luck!

Well worth the money in her case and she's only 10 minutes drive away, but not very practical for a family, not to mention expensive and then the possibility of quarantine on arrival back into the UK..... I think Paphos will continue to be very quiet for the foreseeable future
I hope she isn't flying with Jet2 - they've cancelled all flights into Cyprus until 16 August.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
sued51

Post by sued51 »

PhotoLady wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 pm [quote=sued51 post_id=120270 time=<a href="tel:1596027083">1596027083</a> user_id=477]

I hope she isn't flying with Jet2 - they've cancelled all flights into Cyprus until 16 August.
[/quote]

No she isn’t but if she had been or did get cancelled I’d have her booked on the next available flight with any airline via anywhere to get her here - it’s family circumstances not just a holiday
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

sued51 - it's the stress of trying to get it organised while you still have to take the 72hrs PCR test in order to get a negative result and a certificate in time for the flight.
If they can get a flight which may operate on Thursday, they at least stand a fighting chance but anything before that is pretty much impossible.
They cannot take the test more than 72hrs before they are due to fly and they must provide a medical certificate which gives the time the test was taken.
NHS tests don't provide this information - hence why people are having to pay privately.
Jet2 have just cancelled all flights until the middle of August and have already said they will not fly UK residents to Cyprus until we are put into Category A which means no test prior to travel.
The only alternative is for your family to go to a Category A destination from UK, stay there for 14 nights and then fly onward to Cyprus from there.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bellavista

Post by bellavista »

I wouldn’t count on the independent travellers too much , our flight for October with BA has just been cancelled , but not the return as yet ! To be honest I would be pleased not to come as we are dubious about the airport , flight and test issues. The only trouble is that our daughter who was joining us for half term has flights with Ryanair that probably won’t be cancelled so it’s looking like she is stuck with them and they were expensive for their family of 5 . I might just leave the decision about whether to look for another flight till much nearer the time and also see what happens with our daughters booking . Anyway hopefully We will come next year if not this .
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Neil

I'm in the same boat, nowhere testing near to me either. Hoping by September things will have changed.

Good luck

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

We are looking at staying in Crete for a fortnight or so and then flying to Cyprus from Heraklion. We have an appointment regarding Immigration that has been postponed twice and really needs to be sorted.

It was cheaper to fly to Crete and stay in an Airbnb than pay for private tests in the UK which you cannot guarantee will be back in time.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I am also desperate to get an appointment for an MEU - but cannot commit to times. I would go out in late Aug/Sep if flights are safe... my better half is a nervous flier with asthma and she can take panic attacks - she is worried about a 4 1/2 hour flight, with a mask on ... so we might delay
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

Unless there is any relaxation, e.g. moving into group A, then we are also seriously considering having two weeks in Crete or somewhere else in Greece and then flying onto Cyprus. We need to get to our house in Cyprus as we have lots of things to sort out including immigration.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I have friends who are staying in Athens for a couple of weeks and then onto Cyprus - their personal possessions were sent over earlier in the year for them to start their new life in Cyprus which has been delayed for nearly 5 months.