Rat Problem

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Rat Problem

Post by MacManiac »

We caught a large rat in a trap in a kitchen drawer recently and I sent it to meet its maker. Problem solved, I thought. But our dog has been barking under some trees in the garden and I can see one or two rats there. My wife is not impressed, and our two cats are not very popular.

I suspect we need pest control and would be interested to hear any recommendations. Any “I wouldn’t touch this company with a barge pole” posts would be better sent by PM.

I am wary of any sort of poison because of our dog and cats - I’m not squeamish as I believe the best rat is a dead rat.
PolemIan

Re: Rat Problem

Post by PolemIan »

PlantFix have the large ’walk in’ rat traps, the cover is lockable and inside is a small rod of steel, that the poison blocks slip onto so the blocks are securely contained inside.

Ian
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I bought some of the old fashioned sort off Amazon. You put cheese in them and the bar whacks them if they go for it. When a farmer cleared a nearby field of old vines last year, there were a lot of rat refugees that found their way into our garden. The traps worked like a charm, though they wouldn't kill a large rat immediately. You have to be prepared to finish the job yourself if needs be.

This is what I bought:

https://amzn.to/32ELy8u
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I don’t know what the licence laws are regarding air rifles in cyprus but if the same as the UK that is the cleanest and probably cheapest way to do it as pest control is not cheap even our local council will charge £50 a visit and it normally takes three visits and if you go private it is a licence to print money – Our local council has no objection whatsoever to the use of Air Rifles to kill vermin providing you are over 18 and do it humanly ie kill it quickly - however they do prefer the use of a council pest control officer but definitely no issue with a rifle – If you can see them - one in the body and then go up to them and one in the head – Then if you have the problem again it is cost free.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

May not be the most humane, but most effective. Get some 35 - 40 mm ID plastic pipe, cut into 40 cm lengths. Carefully put a dose of rat poison in and push it ALL into the middle, keeping it anchored and horizontal in its resting place. The vermin can access the poison but cats and dogs cannot. Our local expert advised this and it works.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am May not be the most humane, but most effective. Get some 35 - 40 mm ID plastic pipe, cut into 40 cm lengths. Carefully put a dose of rat poison in and push it ALL into the middle, keeping it anchored and horizontal in its resting place. The vermin can access the poison but cats and dogs cannot. Our local expert advised this and it works.
Indeed, this system is very effective. Local Authorities give it free of charge to farmers, together with little nylon bags of poisoned wheat, in areas with a lot of rats. The advantage of this poison is that cats or dogs would not touch it. (the poison are seeds of oleander !!!)

Max
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Yes Devil and Max, this works very well, but make sure you do not touch the poison with your bare hands as the rats wont touch it then.
Louise :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

To have an air rifle in Cyprus you need a fire arms licence!
And you are limited to .177 cal (4.5mm)
darrow

Post by darrow »

Putting the block of poison in a small bore pipe, pushed to centre , works! Our neighbour kept his dog food dish full, outside , all the time, plus we have a field, backing onto our property. I first saw a rat sitting in the centre of the dog dish. The rats decided our woodshed made a cosy home, and were living amongst the logs. This worked a treat! We had them the following year, same again! The neighbour and dog have moved, haven't seen or heard, any since.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am To have an air rifle in Cyprus you need a fire arms licence!
I am not sure that you can legally shoot anything that moves. If you have an empty Coke can infestation then blast away.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
sue&madtom

Post by sue&madtom »

If using poison be aware that it is not instantaneous. The rat dies elsewhere, if your pet or other wildlife then eat the rat they too will be poisoned!. For open areas use air rifle or rat traps, watch your fingers! I’ve found the best bait to be a little bit of peanut butter on the trap plate or a little smeared on the side of a log where you have a clear line of sight to shoot the bugger while feeding. Good hunting.
Mad Tom
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

71 Trans Am wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:44 pm I don’t know what the licence laws are regarding air rifles in cyprus but if the same as the UK that is the cleanest and probably cheapest way to do it as pest control is not cheap even our local council will charge £50 a visit and it normally takes three visits and if you go private it is a licence to print money – Our local council has no objection whatsoever to the use of Air Rifles to kill vermin providing you are over 18 and do it humanly ie kill it quickly - however they do prefer the use of a council pest control officer but definitely no issue with a rifle – If you can see them - one in the body and then go up to them and one in the head – Then if you have the problem again it is cost free.
Trans am
Buying an air rifle isn't as straight forward here as in the the UK, there are several stages we have to go through with the police before we can buy one plus we are limited to .177 as .22 are not normally available.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

We live near next to a field, and use the old fashion mouse traps but XXL size for rats, use a bit of peanut butter mixed with seeds, last one I cought looked like the Mike Tyson of rats big big bugger.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Aargent wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:59 am
Paul & Lesley wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am To have an air rifle in Cyprus you need a fire arms licence!
I am not sure that you can legally shoot anything that moves. If you have an empty Coke can infestation then blast away.
This is a few years ago but if anything they are tightening gun laws not relaxing them

"Regarding hunting with an air rifle, the current law the law states that air rifles can only be used for target shooting so shooting any live animal with an airgun is forbidden"
Alastair

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When we lived out in the countryside in the UK, at the rear of our cottage was a field used to grow wheat, during harvesting, we found that rats were using our garden as a refuge. We used the same method as Devil posted, but with the exception that we sealed one end, it seemed to work, we had cats too, but the pipe was too small for them to enter.

We once had one in the roof space, a trap and a piece of chocolate did the job.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Having watched a professional team of exterminators at work clearing Rats from someones store room, the company used the good old fashioned spring loaded spine crusher style with a piece of apple/apple core as the bait, worked every time. Asked why they don't use cheese and the answer was the rats don't like it!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Our rats certainly liked cheese.

Mind you, I don't buy cheap cheese. It has to be vintage, darling.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:19 pm Our rats certainly liked cheese.

Mind you, I don't buy cheap cheese. It has to be vintage, darling.
Just an observation on Life - It's the second rat that gets the Vintage Cheese !
Alastair

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I am the third rat who likes Vintage Cheese. :-)
carl01

Post by carl01 »

Where do you buy rat poison in Cyprus?