Man arrested for stealing power from neighbouring house

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Man arrested for stealing power from neighbouring house

Post by Paphos Life »

A 55-year-old man has been arrested in connection to a case of fraudulent misappropriation of electricity and illegal entry into a house currently under investigation by the Paphos police.According to the police, an arrest warrant was pending against the 55-year-old suspected for stealing electricity from a neighbouring house in Paphos....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Man arrested for stealing power from neighbouring house

Post by Kili01 »

I wonder! I doubt that this reported instance is the first occasion that this type of theft of electricity from an unoccupied house has happened...
Also theft of water, I used to be aware some time ago of a 'farmer who was a bit of a local 'old MacDonald' type who had a few cows, a few sheep and a few pigs, which he kept in a ramshackle type of little small holding on the hill near Kili. He probably didn't have a proper water supply, so on the back of his old truck were a collection of white water tanks which he filled daily from any water tap in a garden or building site on the way back to his farm...
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 pm
Also theft of water, I used to be aware some time ago of a 'farmer who was a bit of a local 'old MacDonald' type who had a few cows, a few sheep and a few pigs, which he kept in a ramshackle type of little small holding on the hill near Kili. He probably didn't have a proper water supply, so on the back of his old truck were a collection of white water tanks which he filled daily from any water tap in a garden or building site on the way back to his farm...
Dee
Many farmers in Cyprus transport water from own borehole to their other properties to water their crop/trees. ...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I can see them daily doing that in my area!
Max
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I had to fit a lockable tap to my water outlet on the side of the house as one nieghbour thought it was quite acceptable to connect his hose pipe and use it
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 pm I wonder! I doubt that this reported instance is the first occasion that this type of theft of electricity from an unoccupied house has happened...
Dee
And you know for a fact, that this man was stealing the water, do you ?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

When we lived in Limassol we often visited friends up towards Troodos and would regularly see double cabs turning up the Troodos road at the DIY shop at Erimi bridge on the old Paphos/Limassol road full with multiple containers of water to irrigate their land and crops.

The day we took the keys to our property I had to go to see about getting our electricity reconnected (on a Thursday at 07:30). We had arrived the evening before from UK and stayed at the Old Bridge hotel in Limassol. My husband and our two friends were collecting the keys at 10:00 and when I arrived at the property our landlord had run a power supply from his to ours so we had power until the guys flicked the switch.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
boycott

Post by boycott »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:30 am
Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 pm I wonder! I doubt that this reported instance is the first occasion that this type of theft of electricity from an unoccupied house has happened...
Dee
WHL, and you know for a fact that he was not stealing the water?
Paul

Post by Paul »

When we came to Cyprus the cypriot bloke next door used to run an power extension lead from the pool area into his house and use the power from the pool, that was till the electric board cut it off.
To the day we left the house he still pulled the hose pipe from the pool area and would wash down his property with the water from the pool supply, and clean his cars with it!
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:18 am
WHL wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:30 am
Dee
WHL, and you know for a fact that he was not stealing the water?
I didnt say he was not stealing it, the poster said he was, and I was asking if she knew this for a fact, just for you, once again, I WAS ASKING the question, im sure the poster can reply for herself, with out you baby sitting her?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

As the chairman of the apartment complex at the time a few years back, a cheeky tenant strung a cable out of his window, across to an adjacent tree and then down to a power socket used by the cleaner. I reported this to the police, who did come to investigate with a plain clothes detective. Her advice was take it up with the owner of the apartment. If it was being stolen from the EAC that would have been a different matter!

Trying to remove the offending extension lead was impossible as it had welded itself to the socket, evidenced by the black smoke up the wall!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I know a person who has a tap protruding out of his rear perimeter wall which is retaining the slope behind his house. Water has been available from it since he bought the house seventeen years ago. It's not from his supply and I can only guess the builder connected it from another water pipe.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:43 pm I know a person who has a tap protruding out of his rear perimeter wall which is retaining the slope behind his house. Water has been available from it since he bought the house seventeen years ago. It's not from his supply and I can only guess the builder connected it from another water pipe.

Jim
Sounds painful :shock:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL, as anyone who had observed this man realised that the fact that he and his truck used to pass by frequently, it was noted that he chose villas which with the owners car gone and the garden tap near the road, he could use to quickly fill his water containers. Thus
He stopped at different owners houses, and at building sites where the developer had installed a tap to enable a concrete mixer to be used. But rather than report him. Individual owners took steps to stop him using their water supply. While the developer removed the top from his taps except when they were actually working on the site.
No one reported him as far as I know, but the developers foreman may have said something to the Mukhtar of his village.
Hope that will satsfy you, WHL,
Dee
darrow

Post by darrow »

When we first moved here we lived in a communal property. We were the first full timers all the others were holiday homes. When they started to build a villa on the plot opposite we found they ran a hose across the road to our communal supply. We blocked it off! Then they took an electric cable across our gardens to the electric! We took the fuse out! They had the cheek to come over and replace it! After being confronted they agreed to pay to our community fund for it! They eventually got a generator.
darrow

Post by darrow »

When we first moved here we lived in a communal property. We were the first full timers all the others were holiday homes. When they started to build a villa on the plot opposite we found they ran a hose across the road to our communal supply. We blocked it off! Then they took an electric cable across our gardens to the electric! We took the fuse out! They had the cheek to come over and replace it! After being confronted they agreed to pay to our community fund for it! They eventually got a generator.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I can remember getting into trouble with EAC when I supported my neighbour with electricity from my solar plant. He rented his brand-new villa to tourists without having connection to the grid yet, as the costs to connect him were 20.000 CYP he thought this would be a temporary solution....

Max