Paphos overhead walkway.. the idea from amazing Gobekli Tepe?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Paphos overhead walkway.. the idea from amazing Gobekli Tepe?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

There are many videos of the amazing oldest temple in the world: > 12000 year old Gobekli Tepe, where they built recently modern constructions to protect the excavation. I wonder if the idea for the Paphos overhead walkway came from that place.

One can see on that video how nicely everything was done, also with the help of EU money to attract more people in the future as the site is near Syrian border, there are not many people visiting....

What I also liked a lot was the animation show which gives people more information what's all about that site.....the tools at that time were flint stones, so imagine how difficult it was to create that size of pillars and images of animals and humans as well.

I hope some will enjoy that video:

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Paphos overhead walkway.. the idea from amazing Gobekli Tepe?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

At minute 8.15 one can see the overhead walkway in Gobekli Tepe (in case the video is too time consuming for you... :)

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Or maybe it would be easier to just pull it down! We were sitting looking across to it from the cafe at Begonia yesterday. Who in earth will actually use it even if it is finished? It runs from near the Mosque around Fabrica Hill then across Ag Pavlos Ave. Quite a long walk, especially in hot weather. There seems no provision for any intermediate points to enter or leave it. So once on you will be committed....

Dee
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I’ve never been to see the archeological sites there so am looking forward to it. There are plenty of times to use it outside of the very hottest. Early morning, late afternoon during the hottest months and pretty much anytime for the remaining 8 months of the year.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

As there are obviously subsidies payed from EU for the Turkish excavation in Gobekli Tepe it would be nice if Cyprus would apply for similar subsidy.
Neolithic Choirokoitia, occupied from the 7th to the 4th millennium B.C., is one of the most important prehistoric sites in the eastern Mediterranean. Its remains and the finds from the excavations there have thrown much light on the evolution of human society in this key region. Since only part of the site has been excavated, it forms an exceptional archaeological reserve for future study. It could do much better if they had aid from the EU. Only a very small area is shaded from a not very nice looking construction (it looks more like a goats/sheep shelter)..... If they could copy the Turkish excavation and how it is run there, I am sure thousands of tourists would visit the place in after "Corona times".

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 am I’ve never been to see the archeological sites there so am looking forward to it. There are plenty of times to use it outside of the very hottest. Early morning, late afternoon during the hottest months and pretty much anytime for the remaining 8 months of the year.

Jeanne
Remember you can take a virtual tour here!

https://www.paphoslife.com/archaeological-park-tour
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Makes a change from just invading places and saying they are yours.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The contribution from Max seems to have got on to the wrong thread. He started another thread about the temple site.
We have a site which has reconstructed round houses at Lemba which was a very early settlement of the Chalcolithic Village, the remains of which were still there. It was very painstakingly constructed by a local archaeologist using as close as possible the natural building materials. The houses there are of different sizes built on the actual sites.

Well worth a look.

De
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I hope that tourists will use the walkway. I would be surprised If EU funding were given to non EU countries.
Though I know that the EU has and is funding some worthwhile restoration projects in the North. Probably with the hope that one day the island will be reunited in some way.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The EU invested billions of Euros into Cyprus well before becoming a member, the biggest investment being the flyover through Limmasol. Even our village was given a large grant prior to joining so nothing new.

Jim
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 pm I hope that tourists will use the walkway. I would be surprised If EU funding were given to non EU countries.

Dee

Before I post something I always do some research. So there is no need that you are doubtful about my post and "surprised" if EU funding took place in Turkey.

Max