UK could face second lockdown

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

UK could face second lockdown

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Jul 10th 2020 15.32pm

The UK faces a second wave of coronavirus in as little as a few weeks, according to a professor of global public health.
Devi Sridhar, who acts as the public health adviser for Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon, warned of "constant outbreaks" as lockdown restrictions ease across the country.
She tweeted: "I know that everyone wants the economy to go full steam ahead in the UK. But I fear we will be in another lockdown within months, if not weeks...
"Eliminate the virus over the summer then open up safely. Otherwise enter winter & flu -- Sridhar's warning comes just days after pubs, restaurants and bars reopened in England, in what was dubbed 'Super Saturday'.
The government announced that indoor gyms will reopen by the middle of July, providing strict social distancing measures are upheld.
Sturgeon will also confirm on Thursday if Scotland can move into the third phase of its plan for easing coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: UK could face second lockdown

Post by Dominic »

Anywhere could face a second lockdown.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

" We are only vulnerable now from repatriates and tourists, as is demonstrated daily."

And also from permanent British residents who have publically stated a week or so ago, on this very Forum that they were going to ignore the wearing of face mask/gloves until the situation gets worse. You do remember stating that don't you? Perhaps you could repeat it, some may have missed it!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There is a new school of thought amongst Scientists that the virus is airborne and can be caught without contact.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

It should be an offence to enter shops/public Buildings and public transport if you are not wearing a mask,
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I wish that they would make it compulsory that EVERYONE who enters any shop must wear a mask.
All things are possible
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If people dont want to wear them they should not enter a shop, so stay at home
David
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Each time I go out I notice less adherence to precautionary measures which makes me even more careful and as a consequence everyone else benefits.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:03 am There is a new school of thought amongst Scientists that the virus is airborne and can be caught without contact.

Jim
Why is that a new school of thought? Surely that is the whole point of the mask - to stop airborne particles.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Here is another take on the mask debate.https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-wh ... -confusing
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I do not mind people not wearing a mask, as long as they keep well away from me. If there is no room for distance, please wear a mask. I do not want to feel your breath in my neck or worse, in my face.
Louise :)
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:50 am
Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 am Here is another take on the mask debate.https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-wh ... -confusing
So having read that fairly well balanced article I shall expect to see all those above who insist on wearing masks in shops to also wear a pair of swimming or motorcycle goggles. :lol:
Now that made me laugh, thank you!

Personally I don't wear a mask, I am careful when out but don't feel it warranted here in Cyprus where we are doing very well in regard to infections. For those that do wear one, that's your choice, and remember it is a choice. For those uncomfortable then do the sensible thing and remove yourself from a situation where you feel unsafe or uncomfortable.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 am
Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 am Here is another take on the mask debate.https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-wh ... -confusing
So having read that fairly well balanced article I shall expect to see all those above who insist on wearing masks in shops to also wear a pair of swimming or motorcycle goggles. :lol:

Personally I don't wear a mask, I am careful when out but don't feel it warranted here in Cyprus where we are doing very well in regard to infections. For those that do wear one, that's your choice, and remember it is a choice. For those uncomfortable then do the sensible thing and remove yourself from a situation where you feel unsafe or uncomfortable.
The reason we are all doing very well here in Cyprus, is because everyone wore masks and gloves and adhered to lock down when this virus presented itself.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:24 am

The reason we are all doing very well here in Cyprus, is because everyone wore masks and gloves and adhered to lock down when this virus presented itself.
No, everyone did not wear masks and gloves, and most did adhere to lockdown. Also, lockdown was compuIsory, masks for the general public weren't.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:53 pm

No, everyone did not wear masks and gloves, and most did adhere to lockdown. Also, lockdown was compuIsory, masks for the general public weren't.
I have to differ when this first exploded 99%of people we saw out shopping wore masks, but that was Larnaca I cant speak for paphos
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm
Jimgym wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:53 pm

I have to differ when this first exploded 99%of people we saw out shopping wore masks, but that was Larnaca I cant speak for paphos
I can only speak for my experiences in Paphos and I saw as many without masks as with. The only thing that everyone appeared to follow, lockdown aside, was the wearing of gloves in shops. Now, many sanitise before entering shops, in lieu of gloves.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 am
Jim B wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:03 am There is a new school of thought amongst Scientists that the virus is airborne and can be caught without contact.

Jim
Why is that a new school of thought? Surely that is the whole point of the mask - to stop airborne particles.
From the WHO, will this do. This article is one day old.

Jim

https://m.economictimes.com/news/intern ... 840850.cms
Last edited by Jim B on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:12 am
LouiseCastricum wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 am I do not want to feel your breath in my neck or worse, in my face.
That's a pleasure I haven't experienced for a very long time! :shock:

....Joke :lol: :lol:
ha ha
:lol:
Louise :)
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

My view is that masks are great at stopping your infected hands getting near your mouth or nose. Hand gel would also be of benefit in that respect. I do not give all that much thought about the airborne transmission if I have a mask as described earlier. Discard the mask when home in a bin with your other bagged refuse.