Fat Mamas restaurant

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Fat Mamas restaurant

Post by memory man »

I noticed as I drove past yesterday, a big sign outside.

FOR SALE.

That's sad, as it was one of our favourites.
trevnhil

Re: Fat Mamas restaurant

Post by trevnhil »

That is sad.. We have been there a few times usually with friends or guests.. The food was good and of course there was entertainment thrown it..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Some of the food was nice, ie the ribs. I found the pasta very bland though. Huge portions, mind.

Our daughter was outraged when we went years ago, when she was about 6. The waitress came up to me and whispered that they were going to pretend it was my birthday.

"Daddy, its not your birthday".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Restaurant closures will get worse. The Govt are offering free tests to UK arrivals if they are in hotels. Those in holiday homes or private rental don't appear to even be able to pay for a test. Those in hotels are often AI who never venture out to eat. Those in holiday homes or private rental are usually more likely to eat out to keep restaurants open. Just my opinion.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I never went back in after my credit card got hit for £500, I knew it had to be in there as it was the last night Of a holiday and the only time i used it
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

This Fella was a regular and has a few videos on Youtube

bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

A very popular place mainly I would guess for tourists but why people would queue when there equally if not better places around the TOTK area to eat used to baffle me guess it was the atmosphere and entertainment . The same thing used to baffle me with the Magpie Cafe for fish and chips in Whitby queues round the harbour when the same locally caught fish and the same potatoes for the chips were on offer at several other equally if not better establishments. But sad to see any local or overseas business go under but it's the times we are living in with CV19 millions have been down manned over the globe both in commercial and industrial businesses. It will be several years before it ever gets anyway near normality. And in some ways you have to question the allowance of tourists into the Island but without them local businesses are at even more risk of going under ....some for good !! Maybe Cyprus should introduce a scheme similar to UK eat out help out !!
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Never went, didn’t like the tourist element
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
June

Post by June »

Some of you make me laugh.
It was the epitome of a tourist restaurant!
Aimed at families, when my son was small he loved it and couldn't wait for the "floor show".
The food wasn't great.... pasta AND jacket potato (seriously? ) but it was always full.
If someone else takes it over with the same criteria it could be a little goldmine.
Kissos

Post by Kissos »

Its such a shame to see any business having to close. We drove through the tourist area yesterday and saw many restaurants either empty or not open. Yes they need tourists but many go A1 as someone mentioned it is also those with properties here that come over several times a year and also have friends and family that visit them too. Along with weddings and their guests, those that married here coming back for their anniversary each year that can't get over I can't see it improving much before 2022.
Linh

Post by Linh »

We personally like fat mamas when our children and grandchildren visit because it is something different for them and they happen to enjoy it. There excellent bbq ribs will be missed.

We are not regular visitors but, we have got to know the owners over the 20 years we have visited - whilst being tourists ourselves and as residents.

Although Covid problems are the obvious assumption right now, we are not sure that is the case for them so it's best not to assume.

They have other interests which are their business and good luck to them. They have worked extremely hard to make their restaurant a success and it was their choice to aim it at the tourist market. It is very, very family friendly too and they are brilliant with the kids.

We are sure that whatever they do, they will do it well as they are are very hard working family and we wish them all the best.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I read they had been thinking of selling for a couple of years.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Linh wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:58 pm We personally like fat mamas when our children and grandchildren visit because it is something different for them and they happen to enjoy it. There excellent bbq ribs will be missed.

We are not regular visitors but, we have got to know the owners over the 20 years we have visited - whilst being tourists ourselves and as residents.

Although Covid problems are the obvious assumption right now, we are not sure that is the case for them so it's best not to assume.

They have other interests which are their business and good luck to them. They have worked extremely hard to make their restaurant a success and it was their choice to aim it at the tourist market. It is very, very family friendly too and they are brilliant with the kids.

We are sure that whatever they do, they will do it well as they are are very hard working family and we wish them all the best.
Lovely post Linh. 😊 We lived in Paphos for 7 years and only visited Fat Mamas when our three children and many grandchildren visited. They absolutely loved it for the pure entertainment . . . .And sheer volume of food! (They were hungry wee beggars!).

I too wish the owners well because they served several thousands of people and families well. ❤
Maggie B
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Our grandchildren loved going to Fat Mamas - and so did I - never had a bad meal there.
Linh

Post by Linh »

[Lovely post Linh. 😊 We lived in Paphos for 7 years and only visited Fat Mamas when our three children and many grandchildren visited. They absolutely loved it for the pure entertainment . . . .And sheer volume of food! (They were hungry wee beggars!).

I too wish the owners well because they served several thousands of people and families well. ❤
Maggie B

Thank you Maggie,

We just feel that credit should be given where credit is due. Not every restaurant is for every person but, there should be a little more live and let live. Tourists love it and for many, a visit to Fat Mamas is what makes their holiday, especially as you say, when there are children and grandchildren involved.

It is not for anyone to assume anyone else's business either. What I do know is, Fat Mama's has actually been there for 25 years and, they have survived hard times before so maybe they just want to kick their shoes off and relax now.

We actually wish all business owners well in these times. We had a business in the UK and know how hard things can get. We too were involved in tourism and hospitality in London and we had to deal with 9/11 and 7/7 - not easy and we tip our hats to anyone in business today.

All we can do is support whoever we can and hope that we keep someone going until the tide changes.

In the meantime, all keep safe
memory man

Post by memory man »

I noticed while driving past, that Fat Mamas seemed to be open again.

Is it new owners or will it be the same menu etc as before?
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

I believe it’s new owners
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We have tried to support local places during Covid by ordering takeaway where possible and like to think we've helped businesses to struggle through.
As an aside, hotels have subsidies for rooms from the government and we just had three nights in Agia Napa by Nisi Beach for €55 Per room per night. The offers are for all over the island so worth it if you fancy a break.
My daughter and husband both work in the hospitality industry and it's been a tough couple of years for everyone in the business.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

When did you go there? Are you talking recent of before the original closure?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I just had to replace my mouse because it kept sending multiple clicks, resulting in double posts. Luckily I hadn't thrown away the old one so I was able to drag it out of retirement until tomorrow.