US to train Cypriot troops.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Re: US to train Cypriot troops.

Post by memory man »

mouse wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 pm So Cypriot troops will now chew gum and smoke Havana cigars ?

How do you come to that conclusion?
Paul

Post by Paul »

US troop training program: - Hotdogs, Doughnuts, Hamburgers followed by Pizzas.

And lots of coke a cola!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

You can mock as much as you want, but if it wasn't for the Yanks, coming to our rescue we would all be talking with a German accent now
josef k

Post by josef k »

I don't think Cypriots would be talking with a German accent. Or do you mean some distant country not related to this question?

This is all part of the USA's strategy to reduce the Russian and Chinese influence in the eastern Med. They don't care about the state of the National Guard.
Frankly I think Cyprus should reject USA advances. We don't want more US influence here. They will just use Cyprus as a base for their wars, and in return make us a target for retaliation.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Tanny I agree with you. But the Cypriot National Guard would be very unlikely to be trained by UK forces. Old memories of the Colonial days die hard! No doubt there must be a lot more being offered by this deal to both sides. But American troops can be a bit 'gung ho' in their actions, shoot first and think about it after..

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:16 pm I don't think Cypriots would be talking with a German accent. Or do you mean some distant country not related to this question?

This is all part of the USA's strategy to reduce the Russian and Chinese influence in the eastern Med. They don't care about the state of the National Guard.
Frankly I think Cyprus should reject USA advances. We don't want more US influence here. They will just use Cyprus as a base for their wars, and in return make us a target for retaliation.
Im talking about Europe
WHL

Post by WHL »

Termites Dream wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:31 am Personally I think the important aspect of this is that the USA may take an anti-Turkey position. You may
be concerned or supportive of such a move but that is what I took from the summary. I cannot see why they would count the over-flights of Greek airspace or enquire as to violations of our EEZ unless they intended to take a position on the matter.

I read an article sometime ago which discussed the potential of a base on the island as a possible replacement for Incirlik in Turkey. Further the US has been concerned about Europe's dependence on Russian gas. The talked about pipeline from Israel would be welcomed by the USA, but would have to pass through an area that Turkey now claims as Sovereign. I think it has potentially more significance than cigars. :)
This is not so much an anti Turkey move, more a strengthening of Israel move,
the despot in Turkey and his party have not hidden there hatred of Israel, they have a Hamas office in Turkey, they support Iran, the back the Muslim Brotherhood, Eudogan and his family also have business links with Isis,
the alarm bells are ringing in the USA and Israel,
Like many Dictators before Eudogan, he will bite off more then he can chew and it will end in tears for him,
the sooner the better in my opinion.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/greek ... res-634312
Last edited by WHL on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Termites Dream wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:09 am WHL.....Does it not amount to the same end.
It does but they cant be seen to be taking an anti Turkish stand.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

memory man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:22 pm
mouse wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 pm So Cypriot troops will now chew gum and smoke Havana cigars ?

Mouse i know you ment it as a joke ,My son in law is in the US military and i have been in the company of his military mates and none of them could i see chewing gum and smoking Havana cigars.Perhaps like me you used to watch Audy Murphy movies :oops:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm
memory man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Mouse i know you ment it as a joke ,My son in law is in the US military and i have been in the company of his military mates and none of them could i see chewing gum and smoking Havana cigars.Perhaps like me you used to watch Audy Murphy movies :oops:
Didn't she star in, ''Breakfast at Tiffany's'' ?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Not happy about any US military involvement in Cyprus - makes our little island a more likely target whereas we tend to be overlooked.
WHL

Post by WHL »

galexinda wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 pm Not happy about any US military involvement in Cyprus - makes our little island a more likely target whereas we tend to be overlooked.
The US has always had some involvement in Cyprus one way or another, even using the British bases covertly.
boycott

Post by boycott »

WHL wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:34 pm
galexinda wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:09 pm Not happy about any US military involvement in Cyprus - makes our little island a more likely target whereas we tend to be overlooked.
The US has always had some involvement in Cyprus one way or another, even using the British bases covertly.
WHL where is your evidence that US has used the British bases covertly?
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm
WHL where is your evidence that US has used the British bases covertly?
The clue is in covertly, but google it, USA spy planes have used the bases many times.

plenty more links out there
https://theaviationist.com/2013/08/29/u-2-akrotiri/
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Not to mention " Good Old Henry "

http://www.defenddemocracy.press/a-comm ... he-detail/
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum