Poverty in Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Poverty in Cyprus

Post by MacManiac »

I came across a Fb page yesterday which was looking for support for families (mainly in Paphos). I followed the thread backwards and read about the number of free meals this establishment had supplied - more than 12,000 - since the lockdown here. It was the sheer scale of the undertaking that stunned me.

I thought I had read that the Cyprus government was supporting people who were unable to work during the pandemic, through the Social Fund for those who had lost their jobs and through another scheme for those who had been “furloughed”.

But reading the details of the large numbers of families who - it was reported - had absolutely no income, gave me pause for thought.
Could the situation be as bad as was being described? We have a similar problem in my area (but on a much smaller scale) and we have been donating food for a couple who have been preparing meals so that the families in need have at least one nutritious meal a day.

What is the real scale of the problem? Is the government not doing enough to support its own people? And, if not, is there anything to be done?
Sadie

Re: Poverty in Cyprus

Post by Sadie »

I was made redundant from my job with a well known travel company, I signed on for redundancy mid April, to date I have had NO money from the labour office.
We had to apply 3 times for the same thing, at the last application we were told that the application will be looked at in Nicosia and IF we qualify we may get some money next year.
Next year doesn’t pay people’s rents or put food on the table
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

If you want to talk poverty, think of the thousands of pensioners in this country with an income of only EUR300 odd. I know several and their life is no fun.
memory man

Post by memory man »

I thouught the State Pension in Cyprus for pensioners
was about eu 650.00 per month.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too thought the state pension was a lot more than that quoted by Devil. Maybe someone else can shed a little light on the pensions here
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Social pension (social assistance): €315.36 a month is paid. If receiving another pension or a similar payment that is less than the social pension, the difference between the two pensions is paid.

I surmise that this is paid when no contributions have been made; the persons I know on it are both female with husbands but whys and wherefores???
josef k

Post by josef k »

Cyprus has a guaranteed minimum income. That is what Devil refers to.
WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:50 pm I thouught the State Pension in Cyprus for pensioners
Basic pension is 340 euro a month
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:26 pm
memory man wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:50 pm I thouught the State Pension in Cyprus for pensioners
What does basic pension mean? That you have to pay into a pension pot in order to have a claim and this is the minimum? Or is it a social grant meant to secure a minimum income?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:36 am
WHL wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:26 pm
What does basic pension mean? That you have to pay into a pension pot in order to have a claim and this is the minimum? Or is it a social grant meant to secure a minimum income?
It means, You have paid the lowest amount into the pot over the years, to be eligible for a pension.....a social grant is available to people who are on hard times for one reason or another, but the office that issues these grants, does strict checks before giving out any cash.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:43 am It means, You have paid the lowest amount into the pot over the years, to be eligible for a pension.....a social grant is available to people who are on hard times for one reason or another, but the office that issues these grants, does strict checks before giving out any cash.
Thanks for the info. What about those who have no income and rely on social grants? How much will they get? Will they receive cash or e. g. food vouchers? And is the experience of another poster who wrote that she was told to wait until her application will have been processed (sometime next year) a typical one? I can´t believe this as in that case I´d expect beggars sitting at every corner - which is obviously not the case.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:04 am
WHL wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:43 am It means, You have paid the lowest amount into the pot over the years, to be eligible for a pension.....a social grant is available to people who are on hard times for one reason or another, but the office that issues these grants, does strict checks before giving out any cash.
Thanks for the info. What about those who have no income and rely on social grants? How much will they get? Will they receive cash or e. g. food vouchers? And is the experience of another poster who wrote that she was told to wait until her application will have been processed (sometime next year) a typical one? I can´t believe this as in that case I´d expect beggars sitting at every corner - which is obviously not the case.
As far as I know only citizens of Cyprus and legal residents, can get aid, but dont for one minute, think its easy to get these grants.
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

It's all too true, unfortunately. I have not received any grants/benefits or anything and to say I am living in poverty is without a doubt - I am sure there are plenty more out there just the same - forced into this dreadful position. I am resident here but usually work abroad and thanks to the pandemic, my job offer was taken away. I've been looking for work here and still not even been offered an interview. I still hope I can find work abroad again, as I cannot live like this much longer. I was informed that I would not receive unemployment benefit and guaranteed minimum income would be unlikely and would take many months and at the time, the citizens centre was closed, so you couldn't even fill in the forms... It's very frustrating, I just have to live day to day. I haven't had to use the charities yet as a friend helped me pay for some basics, but I have the phone numbers in case I need them, as I said, day to day. I believe if someone like me can be trapped into this situation, there are plenty more out there the same who are unsupported and just waiting to get back to work and have an income again.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The current situation is affecting working families the worst. This is why it is important that tourism is re-established again. If Cyprus wants to guarantee lots of UK tourists they need to announce they will accept tests at the Cypriot airports. €60 a test is a lot more palatable than the £150 odd I see quoted for tests in the UK.

And if you don't want UK tourists, prepare for those foodbanks to get a lot busier before the crisis is over.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Try Doctorcall - they have clinics in London and Manchester offering tests - supposedly results guaranteed within 48 hours at a cost of £149 - my daughter has an appointment booked early on 4th Aug and is due to fly on 6th all appointments on 3rd were fully booked so fingers crossed results really do show up within 48 hours! Quite possibly other clinics in other areas doing similar - google private doctors in the area you need
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Now we’ve got an appointment and my daughter is coming home not to a hotel I think I’d rather get the test done before she travels - yes it wpuld save a few euros but the flight was a fraction of the usual August fare, so swings and roundabouts really