Police urge motorcyclists to wear helmets

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Police urge motorcyclists to wear helmets

Post by Paphos Life »

Paphos police on Sunday appealed to motorbike users to wear helmets for their own safety.Speaking after the death of a motorcyclist in Paphos early on Sunday morning, CID Paphos spokesman Michalis Ioannou said ???we are making for one more time an appeal to motorcyclists to wear a helmet???....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Police urge motorcyclists to wear helmets

Post by trevnhil »

Most of us will have seem motorcyclists not wearing a helmet.. But I have seen them riding around the the helmet on their arm, protecting their elbow :-(
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

They can urge as much as they like, the idiots we not listen
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

And the police ignore them
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:10 pm And the police ignore them
The police can't win, if they chace the idiots, there's a good chance, the motorbiker will come to a sticky end, and the police will be to blame.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Sod em then
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Termites Dream wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 am
Uncle D wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:10 pm And the police ignore them
I understood that a M/C only had to have a helmet with him but was not obliged to wear it ....as bizarre as that is, therefore, no offence for Police. Or am I wrong?
No the law says bikers must wear helmets
WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally, I couldn't care less if they wear helmets or not,
only someone who has lived in a cave for the last fifty years,
could use the excuse they didn't know helmets save lifes,
so if you want to smash your head in,
good luck to you.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Its not just motorcyclists, some riders of mopeds and scooters are similarly bare headed, some with no helmet at all, or worn on the arm or on the head chinstrap unfastened. Worse still they wobble and weave in and out of a line of cars...
An accident waiting to happen!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:49 am Its not just motorcyclists, some riders of mopeds and scooters are similarly bare headed, some with no helmet at all, or worn on the arm or on the head chinstrap unfastened. Worse still they wobble and weave in and out of a line of cars...
An accident waiting to happen!

Dee
Motor bikers, moped riders and cyclists wobble and weave in and out of cars in every country on the planet, its what they do.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I believe a moped driver died this morning around Polis? Just reading on FB.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Busy weekend for the guys in blue!
Looks like they need to work harder and enforce basic traffic laws to protect drivers from themselves.

A driver was caught speeding at almost 200 kilometres per hour on the Larnaca-Kofinou highway last night, as police intensified its nationwide road traffic campaign over the weekend.

The 21 year old was ‘flying’ at 187 kilometres per hour, compared to the 100 speed limit and was subsequently arrested.
He was charged in writing and will appear before a court at a later date.

In addition, there were two accidents in the Famagusta district last night involving two under aged drivers, 17 and 15 years old respectively.
They were driving mopeds that collided with vehicles. The minors did not have licenses and were not wearing helmets. They were injured and are being treated at the Famagusta General.
Police will increase patrols on highways this afternoon, as thousands are expected to return to the cities from coastal and mountain resorts.
https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/driver- ... 17GuWVZVK4

AND
Police have issued an appeal to motorcyclists to wear their helmets, following a fatal accident in Paphos at dawn.
The town’s superintendent, CID head Michalis Ioannou called on motorcyclists to keep their helmets on during driving for their own safety.
24 year old Evagoras Dimitriou was killed at five this morning when he lost control of his racing bike, hit a pavement and overturned.
Dimitriou was not wearing a helmet.
https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/police- ... clAs3wAb2s
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

There is a simple solution, raise the on the spot fine to € 1,000 for the first offence and € 2,000 for a second and carry on adding an extra € 1,000 for subsequent violations

The bike should be seized at the time of the offence and not released until the fine paid and scrapped if not paid in 7 days

One day the cent may drop !!!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That would certainly concentrate their minds on the important issues when riding a bike
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I'm still at a loss to understand the title of this thread.

If it's a legal requirement to wear a helmet, would someone please explain the use of " one more appeal ", no wonder the law is ignored, the police need to get a grip and do the job they are paid to do.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Correct Jackie.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

mouse wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:56 pm Mirek you said the bike should be seized , I think the vehicle whether it be 2 or 4 wheels.
I agree with you that cars should be treated in a similar fashion but my comments were replying to the original first post on the current subject "Police urge motorcyclists to wear helmets"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with anyone who posts that the laws regarding helmets being compulsory for bike riders must be obeyed. Everyone should know this and if they flout the law they should be fined, in a bad case the bike should be confiscated too. Also under age drivers and riders who have no insurance, or license, should also be disciplined and their parents should be held responsible.
Driving here is risky and allowing unqualified or reckless driving on these roads endangers other road users as well.
Dee