So is it August 1st or Not ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

Re: So is it August 1st or Not ?

Post by lotus »

But looking at some of the airlines they are hoping to offer very cheap package holiday deals,so if people have to pay extra for a test it will probably work out similar to what they would have paid pre virus?,
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:00 pm I must admit that on Paphos Chat the fact of having to pay for a test is not going down well :-)
Some people are saying that Cyprus should pay for the tests for them.. Some are even saying that they will go elsewhere rather than Cyprus
Why should we the Cyprus tax payer pay for their tests, if they don't want to come so be it,
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

You have first to take the can i or can I not fly to cyprus test this is a simple click on a few QAs if you qualify then you need to provide further details 24 hrs before departure I do not know about any age limit suggest you contact MFA.CY who provided
me with some good advice before I repatriated with my MEU , utility bill and village services invoice
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36 am A friend of mine has booked a regular flight from Paphos with EJ On 3rd Aug. Time will tell what happens. Apparently, EJ have stated that they are only providing water for passengers.They are now expecting passengers to provide their own sandwiches. How awful is that especially with waiting time at the airport, in the cattle pens in Cyprus hot summer weather, before a flight of around 4.5 hrs. to your UK destination?. Wearing a mask.Will Paphos Airport be able to cater for potentially full flights?
She's not looking forward to this now.
As far as repatriation flights are concerned, this is completely different as they are organisedby the Cyprus Govt for mainly Cypriot citizens also some British residents. But you have to find out when/if they are leaving. They are or were done by Wizz Air to/from Larnaca.
Dee

Is it such a hardship to make or buy a couple of sandwiches before you board?
The air crew dont need the extra problems of handling cash and food and drinks while trying to keep an eye on everyone's safety, at this current time
J B

Post by J B »

WHL wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:03 pm Is it such a hardship to make or buy a couple of sandwiches before you board?
The air crew dont need the extra problems of handling cash and food and drinks while trying to keep an eye on everyone's safety, at this current time
We always buy our own sandwiches to eat on board - meal deal from Boots or WH Smiths, although we do normally buy a drink when the trolley comes round,
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, no problem from UK Airports, but another matter at Paphos Airport. The ones I have had in the past seem to be stale with dry bread. I usually take my own to the airport here to eat while waiting for my flight and buy something later while on the flight. Catering facilities are quite limited in size at PFO. Will they cope with several tourist flights with all passengers trying to buy something?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:22 am Yes, no problem from UK Airports, but another matter at Paphos Airport. The ones I have had in the past seem to be stale with dry bread. I usually take my own to the airport here to eat while waiting for my flight and buy something later while on the flight. Catering facilities are quite limited in size at PFO. Will they cope with several tourist flights with all passengers trying to buy something?

Dee
First World Problems, :roll:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

At the moment, people leaving airports from the UK are reporting there are only vending machines containing snacks and a few sandwiches. The majority of stuff in the machines is basic PPE needs.
Only Boot's is open airside after passing through security so a very limited choice of meal deals.
I'm sure things will change fairly quickly as I believe some of the duty free staff are returning to our local airport next week.
Currently, no VIP lounges are open either and no bars. Vending machines for hot drinks is your lot.
Definitely take your own.
Ham, cheese and fresh chillies are our favoured travelling sandwiches 💕
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
lin n vic

Post by lin n vic »

Morning all can someone please clarify the position regarding coming in if say you arrive
July 30th and you need test at your cost but if you arrive 1st August you don't need test as we are in category B and allowed in.

Also cy says you have to have a test dated 72 hrs before you leave UK this is impossible as you don't get results for two too three weeks so how does that work.

Lin n vic
WHL

Post by WHL »

lin n vic wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:01 am Morning all can someone please clarify the position regarding coming in if say you arrive
July 30th and you need test at your cost but if you arrive 1st August you don't need test as we are in category B and allowed in.

Also cy says you have to have a test dated 72 hrs before you leave UK this is impossible as you don't get results for two too three weeks so how does that work.

Lin n vic
This is a post by panoscouse from another thread.
To be allowed into Cyprus you need to complete a Cyprus Flight Pass and to do that currently you need to be a citizen or legal resident. Or have obtained special permission from the govt. If no negative covid test certificate within 72 hours of the flight is held then the test is taken on arrival at the Cyprus airport for 60 euros (This potentially changes from August 1st and whilst the flight pass is still a requirement Covid testing at a Cyprus airport is not available for tourists and a neg test certificate no older than 72 hours before take off must be produced).

The flights from the UK are currently taking place and people can book them however it is the passengers responsibility to ensure that the necessary documents are carried as they may be asked for at the check in desk or at boarding. Airlines have the right to refuse boarding just like if you didn't have your passport. No refunds will be given for denial of boarding. As the flights are taking place they are arriving into Cyprus and are able to then take passengers to the UK.
I am sure that quarantine in the UK ends soon but a UK form still needs to be completed before arrival at UK border control.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:31 am Why oh why should Cyprus pay for the tests, if you decide you want to spend your holidays here, it is your responsibility to take care of your own health and make sure you are not a danger to others.
Many people have had their holidays booked months in advance though, before all this mess began. Then as tour operators realised what was happening and the uncertainty of travelling they allowed passengers the option of pushing the final balance payment back from 10 weeks before departure to up to only 2 weeks in some cases.

Now, passengers are facing costs of up to £200pp for getting a private Covid-19 test here in UK which doesn't guarantee they will get the results back in time!

Anything closer than 70 days before departure means the passengers go into a stepped cancellation charges table. The closer they get to the date, the more they lose if they cancel.

Most passengers say they would be happier to have the test on arrival, at least they know they will get a test result.

But sadly, the results aren't failproof either.... Flights have arrived into Cyprus in the last few weeks and been tested at the arrival airport as negative. But when the swabs were tested later the same day under laboratory conditions some came back as positive.

A lot depends on the person taking the swab and if they target the right place..... so it's all very hit and miss and I really don't know what the perfect solution is.

Tunisia are also asking for the 72hrs test and also a certificate. Unfortunately not all countries can provide this as there's no such system in place.

Tourist destinations need tourists to survive. There has to be a meeting of minds to make it happen otherwise there will be no tourism left to bring tourists in when the hotels and restaurants all start to close down due to too long without trade.

Certainly, hotels in Spanish destinations have written off the summer and chosen to take the opportunity to do renovation works and open for the winter season but that only works for those places which have an all year round season, such as the Canaries and southern resorts of mainland Spain and also places like Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia.

Either way, tourist destinations are struggling and someone, somewhere is paying the price whether it be the businesses or the customers.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm really not surprised to read that the UK is currently unable to test and get a reliable timely result to travelers Covid tests! These tests still seem to be surprisingly difficult to get while in the UK. Cyprus has got very efficient at testing people, both returning legal foreign residents and Cypriots. But it is a small country and probably just hasn't the capacity to test every incoming tourist at the airports. Also whether in the UK or here (Cyprus) people are likely to be asked to pay for it.
Unless a solution to this is found quickly it will obviously affect tourism on this sunny island. But equally, it is a necessary health procedure to try to keep the islands currently, very low rate of infection from spiraling as it would if a lot of people arrive with Covid symptoms. We went through a very strict lock down here to virtually eliminate the virus.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Most tourists holidays here are 7 or 14 days, but I think that the length of time spent in Cyprus won't affect the need for a valid covid negative test certificate on arrival. It's aimed at limiting the spread of the virus here. One person with symptoms can quickly pass the virus on to his traveling companions and other people he comes into contact with. Who in turn can pass it on to more people...

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It seems that Brits can now holiday in Greece from 15th July.

I wonder if this will affect the Cypriot holiday trade, as no official statement has been made regarding Brits to the Island.

First come, first served ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ast

Post by ast »

I think that there may be a bit of a misconception about the amount of UK tourists that will come to the Island this summer once any restriction is lifted.

lots of people i have spoken to have now cancelled any plans of holidays abroad this year will holiday in the UK or are looking ahead to next summer for the continental trip.
Cyprus may get a shock with numbers very low and the summer trade will be all but wiped out for this year. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I think many people will have now written off Cyprus this year for a Holiday Destination – what with the flight goalposts being moved to possibly 1st August providing the UK situation gets no worse by then and the uncertainty of what it takes to be allowed in and obviously the cost of tests certificates etc. Along with whatever restrictions hotels will impose – Even as to how you will be seated on an aircraft has not been confirmed yet – There is just too much unknown for most people and a lot of risk which apparently Holiday Insurance Companies are now quick to point out that you may not be insured and travel is at your own risk – So what happens if you did arrive virus free and managed to catch it while there or on the plane and it did not show straight away – I would imagine you would not be taking your return flight and it could end up very costly if you managed to survive. Most people go on Holiday to relax and chill out for a couple of weeks and that will not happen this year.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Insurance companies are starting to say the passenger will be insured and covered if they contract the virus whilst overseas and as long as the FCO have said it's okay to travel to that destination. Unfortunately, the majority of companies are saying they will not cover the passenger if they have to cancel due to Covid-19 prior to leaving UK.
This is for policies taken out after a date around mid-March and for holidays booked or put back after the same date. Annual policies which were already in place before that date appear to continue until the policy is due for renewal.
That's my understanding...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Does anyone know if this date is now confirmed for UK citizens to enter Cyprus, or are we still waiting for a decision ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It has been confirmed by the Cypriot Government and if you look online you will find it - However it is only the case so long as the UK infection rates continue to fall before then - If they start to go up or the UK has any further local Lockdowns then forget it - That is why it was moved from 15th July to August !st - I would be more concerned about the test requirement as you cannot travel without an all clear and given that it has to be clear 72 hours before the flight and that you may not have the results in time - I would give it a miss unless you absolutely have to travel - It has to get easier at some point Hopefully.
lin n vic

Post by lin n vic »

JET 2 flights from birmingham for july all cancelled
Lin n vic