Fire in moving car, tragedy averted as driver remains calm

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Fire in moving car, tragedy averted as driver remains calm

Post by Paphos Life »

The worst was averted this morning in the Paphos-Polis road, near the Tsada community, when a moving car caught fire and was gutted by flames in just a few minutes.

Read the article and chat about it below...
LouiseCastricum

Re: Fire in moving car, tragedy averted as driver remains calm

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Frightening .
Louise :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

So that’s what happens when you put a Fiesta on steroids, it turns in to a VAN!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Cars suddenly catching fire shouldn't just happen. I wonder if the car in question had been regularly serviced and had passed an MOT?

Dee
lotus

Post by lotus »

A lot can happen to a car or van between service or MOT,thousands of miles could be driven,all it takes is a small split in the fuel line which could happen anytime,An MOT doesn't really check fuel lines unless they notice their leaking or hanging loose,it could have been an electrical fault,or he could have dropped his fag inside,I have seen quite a few van fires in my time and sometimes fires are caused by what they are carrying
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

But, equally vehicles which are 'work horses' covering a high mileage, probably need a thorough service periodically up on a ramp where important parts can also be checked.
But maybe few companies do regular maintenance in Cyprus! Or even have valid insurance and road tax paid ....

Dee
lotus

Post by lotus »

In theory I agree about regular inspections ,problem is a van is making money for the owner so things are sometimes left,and in this heat things like hoses and even brakes can degrade pretty quickly,even in UK vehicle fires commercial or private cars do happen,probably more than you think
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, thats all true.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

A car can develop problems regardless of age or milage my daughters car 18 months old serviced as required burst into flames one afternoon with no warning ! Loads of chew with insurance company !
holitec

Post by holitec »

I had this happen to me many years ago, I was driving back from Gatwick airport at shall we say slightly high speeds in a fiat uno turbo ie, only a year or so old, and pulled into a little chef. Well, the heat from the turbo had melted through the fuel line, which whilst driving along the fuel blew back past the red hot turbo charger, but when I stopped it caught fire.

Anyway, grabbed a fire extinguisher from the garage next door, and lifted the bonnet - slightly burnt fingers but put fire out. Then came the fun part, the insurance company was difficult to say the least, so if it ever happens again will let it burn! I do not think this was the first or last turbo ie to catch fire either.

Digby
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:47 pm But, equally vehicles which are 'work horses' covering a high mileage, probably need a thorough service periodically up on a ramp where important parts can also be checked.
But maybe few companies do regular maintenance in Cyprus! Or even have valid insurance and road tax paid ....

Dee
This is precisely why people pull you up for slagging off Cyprus all the time.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

I thought that was a bit mean Dominic,every bodies entitled to their opinions,Cyprus is OK to live,but like anywhere has its faults,many people view things through rose tinted glasses,there are many faults on this island,ok there are some plus points like the weather,I have been here nearly twenty years,looking back if I knew then what I do now no way would I have moved here!
daveg

Post by daveg »

But Dee is always posting negative comments re Cyprus and Cypriots , I think that is what Dominic was pointing out...
lotus

Post by lotus »

Perhaps Dee has a genuine need to post negative comments?
daveg

Post by daveg »

Agree absolutely with HIC....I get Soo fed up with people bleating negatives about this lovely island. Nowhere is perfect but this ,in my opinion, beats the UK hands down....
Think positive is motto in life, negativity breeds discontent...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think Dee just says it as it is and others just see the Island through rose tinted glasses.
If you believe some of those oil burners struggling up the Polis Road or towards Episkopi have ever passed an MOT well what can I say. I follow some of these trucks up the hill to our village and its like following a battleship laying a smokescreen.
Dee has been here a long time and possibly has a more cynical outlook than most but it doesn't mean she's wrong.

Jim
lotus

Post by lotus »

Yes I agree in the main HIC,there are good points about living here,I lost my wife a few years ago here through cancer,I am sure stress relating to title deeds massive issues,dodgy developer,the list goes on didn't help,don't forget the poor buggers who have lost their houses and no one gives a damn,so at the end of the day if someone wants to voice their opinions on Cyprus,they should,most people think it's a wonderful island obviously haven't had stress and trauma like others have
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, start a forum called "Expat Moaners" or something. I'm sure you would all get on like a house on fire there.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

But this is such a poor comment. To suggest that only a few companies do regular maintenance or have valid insurance and road tax is ridiculous and insulting to the thousands of professional Cypriot companies and companies of other nationalities. Just because some have problems in Cyprus doesn’t mean they should get away with making sweeping statements like this without being pulled up.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
lotus

Post by lotus »

Good idea,not everybody on here has the perfect trouble free life like a lot of you,