Byzantium, Constantinople, Istanbul

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Byzantium, Constantinople, Istanbul

Post by Devil »

Call it by whatever name you wish but the city is a jewel of the Middle East. Of course, it is Turkish; there is no dispute on that. Historically, it has "belonged" to various countries and was highly significant during the Crusades. The problem lies today with the designation of Ayia Sofia, a sixth century church which has a chequered history of various faiths. The "father" of modern Turkey, Kemal Ataturk, decreed that the building become a museum but President Erdogan is wanting it to revert into a mosque. This is controversial.

As the city is the seat of Orthodox Christianity, it is obvious that any changes made by the secular state could have profound effects on the spiritual state of the Orthodox Church, including the autocephalous Church of Cyprus.
But Turkish foreign minister Mevlut Cavusoglu insisted that Athens had no say in the decision as the building was on Turkish territory.
"What we do in our country and with our property is up to us," he reportedly told Turkish broadcaster 24 TV.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53232110
I had a brief overnight stay in Istanbul and have posted a 10 minute video on YouTube at:

WHL

Re: Byzantium, Constantinople, Istanbul

Post by WHL »

The Dictator Erdogan is funding thousands of mosques all over the World, Saint Sophia In Istanbul is just another way, of him showing his power to the world, have a read of this link
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... er/590449/
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

It was a Mosque for quite a while after the successful taking of the City in 1453. Several former Sultans are buried in its grounds but Ataturk made it a museum in 1934. Erdogan relies on the more conservative and pro Islamist population for his support and has commented twice on it being restored as a mosque.
Today is the day we find out if it will be so. Although for the life of me, I do not know why the Blue Mosque opposite is not more fully utilised, after all it was built by the conqueror.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WHL wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 am The Dictator Erdogan is funding thousands of mosques all over the World, Saint Sophia In Istanbul is just another way, of him showing his power to the world, have a read of this link
Difficult to see why Erdogan would get in involved in Albania unless to try to influence them into more rigorous Islamic practices... They are currently known as the white Muslims and seen as a very good buffer.. they are relaxed Muslims without the cultural hangups of the middle-east, Asia or elsewhere..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I watched your video before, Devil, very good...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:49 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:46 am The Dictator Erdogan is funding thousands of mosques all over the World, Saint Sophia In Istanbul is just another way, of him showing his power to the world, have a read of this link
Difficult to see why Erdogan would get in involved in Albania unless to try to influence them into more rigorous Islamic practices... They are currently known as the white Muslims and seen as a very good buffer.. they are relaxed Muslims without the cultural hangups of the middle-east, Asia or elsewhere..
They have been doing the same in all the Turcic Stans in Central Asia for years.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm I watched your video before, Devil, very good...
Ta much! I'm a sucker for praise! :lol: :lol: :lol: (they don't have a smilie for a happy devil :lol: )
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:49 pm
So were the Turks until this madman got in power
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Devil wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:57 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm I watched your video before, Devil, very good...
Ta much! I'm a sucker for praise! :lol: :lol: :lol: (they don't have a smilie for a happy devil :lol: )
Devil

I have also watched your early Cyprus phots and videos - very impressed that a wee Teuchter fae the edge of Europe, did and travelled so much... the ~Celtic blood has the wanderlust!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 pm I have also watched your early Cyprus phots and videos - very impressed that a wee Teuchter fae the edge of Europe, did and travelled so much... the ~Celtic blood has the wanderlust!
Travelling is not always great. Nearly all of it (except W. Europe) was courtesy of a combination of Swiss Environment and United Nations Environment Programme. I've ~80 videotapes of travels, mostly VHS-C (pre-1997), some DVCAM, all chaotic and many uninteresting. Organising them is hell. Last night, we watched a mix of 10 of my 14 visits to Singapore from 1991 to 1996 (boring, except for the zoo excerpts which are too long), without commentary.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »