Move to ban boats, fishing in parts of Akamas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Move to ban boats, fishing in parts of Akamas

Post by Paphos Life »

The Agriculture Ministry is proposing to prohibit fishing and boats in some of the most popular areas of the Akamas for part of the year under a draft decree which has been sent to stakeholders for feedback by July 10, Phileleftheros reports....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Move to ban boats, fishing in parts of Akamas

Post by Dominic »

This will put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Who are the ' Steakholders' mentioned
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:10 am Who are the ' Steakholders' mentioned

At every butchery.......... :lol: :lol:

Max
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

And not before time
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I think it is an idea worth looking at. The areas such as Blue Lagoon do need some kind of protection as it can be easily swamped, no pun intended, in high season. There are areas of Corsica that are famously protected environments and the abundance of life there is amazing.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The news coming just now after the lockdown here, and just as hopefully tourists will start to return to Cyprus will be very unwelcome to all those from Latchi who own and run the boat cruises to the Blue Lagoon. I feel sorry for them. Are there any sheltered
alternative bays which are suitable for swimming?

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:47 pm The news coming just now after the lockdown here, and just as hopefully tourists will start to return to Cyprus will be very unwelcome to all those from Latchi who own and run the boat cruises to the Blue Lagoon. I feel sorry for them. Are there any sheltered
alternative bays which are suitable for swimming?

Dee
Well yes, but none so blue, which is rather the point.

Besides, if you just move them elsewhere the problem goes with them. It doesn't go away.

Anyway, if tourism levels stay as they are the problem might sort itself out. We were there today, and there will be a blog along soon enough. There were a few boats, especially towards midday, but it was nowhere near what it was like last time we went. I can see why they would need to do this, but I can't help feel for the tour operators. Talking about kicking you while you are down.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This video shows why Authorities are concerned that swimmers will get hurt from boat traffic. It is from 2015, in 2019 it was much more busy though as there large boats from Limassol also go to the same places....

Max
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Question though; have there been accidents between boats, Jet Skis and swimmers? We read reports of accidents & deaths from main resorts every year, but I can't recall any reports about Latchi in my 11 years here! Are there any lifeguards there?

The Ministry though does appear to be very heavy handed giving the locals just 10 days to come up with their proposals. Dialogue with the locals should have taken place before the Ministry even thinks of making this decree!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:15 am Question though; have there been accidents between boats, Jet Skis and swimmers? We read reports of accidents & deaths from main resorts every year, but I can't recall any reports about Latchi in my 11 years here! Are there any lifeguards there?

The Ministry though does appear to be very heavy handed giving the locals just 10 days to come up with their proposals. Dialogue with the locals should have taken place before the Ministry even thinks of making this decree!

One of the more serious accident happened a couple of years ago when one was killed and 5 injured and it is exactly why finally there are changes on the way....quite late but that is Cyprus... siga,siga.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2017/07/24/one- ... -accident/

Max
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:01 pm
mike strand2 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:15 am Question though; have there been accidents between boats, Jet Skis and swimmers? We read reports of accidents & deaths from main resorts every year, but I can't recall any reports about Latchi in my 11 years here! Are there any lifeguards there?

One of the more serious accident happened a couple of years ago when one was killed and 5 injured and it is exactly why finally there are changes on the way....quite late but that is Cyprus... siga,siga.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2017/07/24/one- ... -accident/

Max
A boat can crash into rocks anywhere around the island, surely coincidental it happened at the Blue Lagoon?