I hadn't realised that things had got this bad

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

I hadn't realised that things had got this bad

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Has this just been getting worse behind the scenes and then suddenly come to a head ?

General says Greece and Turkey positions may possibly lead to a Greek-Turkish war
21:57, 01.07.2020
Region:World News, Turkey

The Greek and Turkish positions lead possibly to a Greek-Turkish war, Retired Lieutenant General Andreas Pentaras said in an interview with Cypriot SIGMA TV station.
According to him, that is why an effort has been launched by the EU for some kind of diplomatic easing of the situation, The Greek City Times reported.

He added that Turkey has been using this strategy since the 1950s, and it has evolved over time depending on geopolitical development.
In this volatile situation, we are facing the possibility of a hot episode, Retired Lieutenant General said.
Pentaras noted that a Greek-Turkish conflict will spread to Cyprus as it is the weak link for Turkey and it will try to achieve a decisive result because in Greece it will lose
Armenia News - NEWS.am
71 Trans Am

Re: I hadn't realised that things had got this bad

Post by 71 Trans Am »

And this from another source which makes a little bit more sense when reading it.

Turkey-Greece war would focus on Cyprus, former Greek general says

• Jul 01 2020 01:49 Gmt+3
• Last Updated On: Jul 01 2020 01:54 Gmt+3
Turkey would target Cyprus in a war with Greece because it will lose to Athens in any military confrontation, Greek City Times cited retired Lieutenant General Andreas Pentaras as saying.
In a conflict with Greece, Turkey would try target Cyprus because it is the weak link and to try to achieve gains during any subsequent negotiations, Greek City Times cited Pentaras as saying.
Political and military tensions between Greece and Turkey have intensified in recent years, exacerbated by the Syrian refugee crisis, disputes over common borders, Turkish violations of Greek airspace, and Turkey’s regional ambitions which now involve drilling for hydrocarbons off Cyprus.
Turkey signed a memorandum of understanding with Libya last year to redefine the country’s maritime borders and increase its territorial waters, which overlap with internationally-recognised waters of Cyprus and several Greek islands. Greece and Cyprus say the agreement is illegal.
Cyprus has been split between a Greek-Cypriot administration in the south, recognised internationally, and a breakaway Turkish-Cypriot government in the north recognised only by Turkey since 1974.
Ankara says the breakaway Turkish-Cypriot enclave in the north of the island has a right to a share in the island’s hydrocarbon reserves.

Turkey Will Target Cyprus In A War Because It Will Lose To Greece, Says Lieutenant General Pentaras - Greek City Times
A large geopolitical burden is brewing in the Eastern Mediterranean region and the creator of this burden is Turkey.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think it has got that bad. Sensationalism.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I think your right - There is no way it could have come to this sort of talk without something being done about it - And why get the views of a retired Lieutenant General - Yes his views may count but a serving officer would probably tell it how it is.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Agree with last 2 posts. At this stage, absolutely ridiculous sensationalism. What about NATO???
WHL

Post by WHL »

If Turkey decides to drill in Greek waters, I think that would be a red line for Greece, theres no way Greece can not act to prevent that, hopefully Nato can put enough pressure on the maniac not to drill, but I doubt it

This is a good summery
https://ahvalnews.com/turkey/lacking-so ... key-expert
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Theres a warship off the coast by the Evelthon right now.

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I took a couple of photos of it. It is French registered warship. Evidently acquired by Cyprus ?
All things are possible
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:23 am Theres a warship off the coast by the Evelthon right now.

Jim
I might have missed something but who,s warship :?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

No idea Chaddy but theres several posts on Facebook showing it and my daughter can see it from her house in Chlorakas.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lincoln
You're right it is a French warship.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Are some people on here getting overexcited? This General is retired and not a reliable source of Greeces intentions.Greek and Turkish tensions do arise from time to time, but mostly they get settled diplomatically.
Would Greece be in a position to take on Turkish forces and win? Somehow it seems doubtful. Turkey has the largest army In Europe/near east, it is well equipt and battle hardened.
It is more likely to be settled diplomatically and NATO is well used to coping with these scenarios.
Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

What does the contract governing NATO actually say if there is a conflict Between NATO members? Don´t forget that Turkey is part of it.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Can't answer that one! But maybe the French warship that others on here saw, is just cruising around keeping an eye on things... who knows. The problem with the gas field under the sea off the Cyprus coast, is that the two Govts on this island are seemingly unable to make any
progress over this or indeed anything else which concerns Cyprus since 1974.
Dee
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

My understanding of the NATO deal is this. Should a NATO member be attacked, then all members would respond. I think it hardly plausible that they would have imagined a scenario where one member attacked another!
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

According to the BBC online world news today there is a growing and serious breakdown in relations between France and Turkey so much so that France accused Turkey of planning to open fire on one of it's warships off Libya.
NATO are reportedly trying to calm things down but are making little progress and remember France has quit NATO previously.
I believe the Middle East is becoming even less stable at the moment with Turkey becoming a real problem by stirring things up. With Trump being anti NATO at the moment and the UK and other major players being seen as being headed by leaders in a weak position perhaps Erdigan sees an opportunity to divert attention from his failing home policies and intends to exploit it where he can.
China is obviously unconcerned about the UK's reaction to their treatment of Hong Kong, hopefully Turkey will not feel the same way about Cyprus.
lotus

Post by lotus »

That's it folks cheer us all up! Least it will give us all something else to worry about😉
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:42 pm Are some people on here getting overexcited? This General is retired and not a reliable source of Greeces intentions.Greek and Turkish tensions do arise from time to time, but mostly they get settled diplomatically.
Would Greece be in a position to take on Turkish forces and win? Somehow it seems doubtful. Turkey has the largest army In Europe/near east, it is well equipt and battle hardened.
It is more likely to be settled diplomatically and NATO is well used to coping with these scenarios.
Dee
Serious question for you, do you make this stuff up as you go along? Battle hardened ? really, would that be bombing tribesmen in Iraq, or bombing innocent civilians in Syria,

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/turke ... ria-632602

PS still waiting for you to put a link up, backing your crazy claims, of migrants murdering locals,just like back in the UK,
Quote, Its the sort of violence which parts of Cyprus
are being subjected to by violent recently arrived so called asylum seekers/ illegal immigrants A village close to Paphos now has its own temporary Police station in an attempt to mitigate the problems being caused to inhabitants in this village.
Pity trouble makers can't be quickly deported.

you have this tendency to lob a hand grenade into a thread, then when challenged to back it up, you disappear :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe my disappearance has something to do with you as you seem to thrive on arguement.
I have no wish to add anything further.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:31 am Maybe my disappearance has something to do with you as you seem to thrive on arguement.
I have no wish to add anything further.

Dee
Or in other words, No I have no links to back up what I post,