The first electric bus to operate in Cyprus received at Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

The first electric bus to operate in Cyprus received at Paphos

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The first electric bus to operate in Cyprus was received by the municipality of Paphos on Wednesday morning at an official ceremony.....

source:
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/07/01/paph ... in-cyprus/

Max
71 Trans Am

Re: The first electric bus to operate in Cyprus received at Paphos

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Well I hope they are better than the one’s they trialled in Newcastle bearing in mind the temperature over there – About a dozen were tried out in the Gateshead and Newcastle area in places with hills and on the flat and one by one they started to smell of burning plastic and then one by one they burst into flames then the trial was halted and that was four years ago and they have not been seen since.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:12 pm The first electric bus to operate in Cyprus was received by the municipality of Paphos on Wednesday morning at an official ceremony.....

source:

Max
Well I was doing well at reading the article, until I scrolled down and saw the bus.. I am sorry but I burst out laughing.
Another part of the article that made me smile was....
"The supply of the bus was made possible by Paphos’ participation in the ECOROUTS project, which is carried out within the framework of an EU Interreg programme for 2014-2020, with a total budget of €1,262,200 of which € 336,000 is earmarked for Paphos"

336,000 euros is only enough for one bus..
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:12 pm The first electric bus to operate in Cyprus was received by the municipality of Paphos on Wednesday morning at an official ceremony.....

source:

Max
Well I was doing well at reading the article, until I scrolled down and saw the bus.. I am sorry but I burst out laughing.
Another part of the article that made me smile was....
"The supply of the bus was made possible by Paphos’ participation in the ECOROUTS project, which is carried out within the framework of an EU Interreg programme for 2014-2020, with a total budget of €1,262,200 of which € 336,000 is earmarked for Paphos"

336,000 euros is only enough for one bus..
I don't know why you are laughing about the appearance of this bus? If it is designed specially for disabled passenger, maybe this is the way the bus has to look. (at the photo one can recognize the wheelchair + ramp.)
Further you got the figures wrong: the tender for the bus, including charging station, was 259.000 Euros, not 336,000 you mentioned in your reply.
The Euro 336,000 is the maximum amount for Paphos Municipality in the Ecorouts project....

source: https://ecorouts-project.eu/2020/01/16/ ... ορείο-στη/

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I never said the bus cost 336,000 .. I said the Paphos had a total budget of €1,262,200 of which € 336,000 is earmarked for Paphos"

So if this bus cost 260,000 euros there is not enough money left for another one. So, Paphos will get one bus
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There is some humour in this situation as pointed out by Trev! It is a peculiar looking bus.
In the UK all the buses in Cheltenham have automatic air suspension which when the bus stops lowers it to the height of the pavement. Thus making it easy for wheelchairs and push chairs to be loaded easily and quickly. Also there is a special space provided for them.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:22 pm
So if this bus cost 260,000 euros there is not enough money left for another one. So, Paphos will get one bus
But the money left could be used to built carports with integrated photovoltaic modules to charge the bus-batteries.....

Max
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

It's a shame you didn't read other parts of the article which set out the aims for this initiative which are surely commendable, not laughable.

Phedonos said that the small bus would take up regular the routes in September, after the pilot runs are complete and will be of great use to the elderly that have to visit Paphos general hospital.

Once fully operational, the bus will run on special ‘green routes’ chosen to highlight the town’s cultural and historical monuments. It will be free to the public, locals and tourists alike. The bus will pass through the main streets and attractions of Paphos old town, as well as the archaeological sites of Kato Paphos.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Hope they make the flex long enough 😁
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:28 am There is some humour in this situation as pointed out by Trev! It is a peculiar looking bus.
In the UK all the buses in Cheltenham have automatic air suspension which when the bus stops lowers it to the height of the pavement. Thus making it easy for wheelchairs and push chairs to be loaded easily and quickly. Also there is a special space provided for them.

Dee
There are much more funny looking e-vehicles on the market like the Tesla cybertruck.....

I guess that the automatic air suspension buses in England are not electric.!! It is perhaps too much stress on the batteries to lower the whole body at every stop.

Max