The 70 year driving licence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

The 70 year driving licence

Post by Mrblobby »

Some members appear to get new licence at 70 that lasts 3years . The wife got hers recently and it only lasts 1 year ...why is this ?
Mike.1940

Re: The 70 year driving licence

Post by Mike.1940 »

It is definitely every 3 years in the UK after you reach 70 years. Is it different in Cyprus for their D/L is that the reason only 1 year?
memory man

Post by memory man »

Reading some back posts it would seem that its the doctor at the General who
signs for 1 year and private GP's sign for 3 years.

It would appear from previous comments that the Dr in the Gen Hosp. is the one that only signs for 1 year. Our private GP is always for 3 years as long as we are ably fit to drive.
From Lincoln.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8477&hilit=driving+licence#p83045
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

memory man wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 pm Reading some back posts it would seem that its the doctor at the General who
signs for 1 year and private GP's sign for 3 years.
It would appear from previous comments that the Dr in the Gen Hosp. is the one that only signs for 1 year. Our private GP is always for 3 years as long as we are ably fit to drive.
From Lincoln.
This is a half-truth. Any doctor can sign for either one or three years, supposedly using his judgement as to whether the applicant is or is not safe to drive.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The wife’s was signed by a doctor in the Evangelismos .
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Mrblobby wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm The wife’s was signed by a doctor in the Evangelismos .
Perhaps best to return to the doctor to get the reason.

I always understood it was for a maximum period of 3 years at 70 but up to the doctor to recommend a shorter period if necessary and there has been mention in the past of making it an annual requirement for people of a certain age eg 80+. Certainly the doctor I know is very thorough and does far more than just the eye test.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I agree with Devil "Any doctor can sign for either one or three years, supposedly using his judgement as to whether the applicant is or is not safe to drive."

Maybe the doctor knows a reason that he was not happy to sign for three years for your wife
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

So a visit to the doctor 1 hour there and a back , a visit to the optician 1 hour there and back a fee of 50€ , a visit to the post office to hand in your form 1 hour there and back plus I hour waiting time then after 4 weeks another visit to the post office 1 hour there and back plus 1 hour waiting time to collect the new licence .
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

I got mine last year for 3 years. 1 visit to my doctor as private patient, 2 visits to CA at PO - first to fill in form & get a photo 2nd to collect 3 weeks later. Very easy.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I just make the one appointment at Blue Cross, the doctor tests you are able to read letters on the eye wall chart and a few symbols, colours etc on the computer for the eye test, a general examination eg blood pressure, listens with stethoscope, checks stability, asks all the questions on the form and more and then prints off and signs the document. Off to CSC at Anavargos to apply for the licence, issued with the paper licence and told to wait for SMS to collect new licence. At the general hospital apparently you see an optician and then go to Admin for the doctor to complete the paperwork - not managed this as on each occasion there was no optician available.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mrblobby wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm So a visit to the doctor 1 hour there and a back , a visit to the optician 1 hour there and back a fee of 50€ , a visit to the post office to hand in your form 1 hour there and back plus I hour waiting time then after 4 weeks another visit to the post office 1 hour there and back plus 1 hour waiting time to collect the new licence .
Well it was nothing like that when I renewed my Cypriot Licence.
A visit to our GP who checked me over including my eyesight. Then filled in the medical form..
Take the medical form to Post office and they fill in the licence form.. Get a paper temporary licence and go back in a few weeks for the plastic one .. Finished for 3 years
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

The Ministry of Transport states: 70 years old - 3 years. 73 years old - 2 years, 75 and above - Annually. It also says Doctors discretion.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Could I have some clarification please?

Do you need to go to CSC first to collect the forms? I thought this was what you had to do but from reading these posts not necessary.

Can you visit a doctor privately even if they are also registered with Gesy and you are not registered with the doctor under Gesy?

Is it an optician you go to or an eye doctor? It seems that the private doctors don't require you to have a separate eye test but a Gesy doctor does.

At the moment appointments have to be made at CSC, doctor, possibly eye doctor/optician, back to CSC. Can it all be done easily in the time allowed, which I| think is four weeks?

Thank you very much.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Polly, I will clarify my situation.. Yes I did collect a medical form from the Citizens Centre. They may be online as well ???
I have used a private doctor at a cost of 50 euros.. I have used a Gesy GP doctor for no charge.
I did not have to go to en optician or an eye doctor, the GP filled in that my eyesight was OK to drive
All this can be done the same day. I do understand that you now have to make an appointment at CSC but I doubt that it will be weeks, more likely a few days .
Trev..
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks Trev

I have to get mine a little later in the year and am quite anxious about it as not been through this process before.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

In my case, it was very simple. I went to the local GP who has known me for 20 odd years. He signed the form giving me three years (at 87), knowing that my eyesight and reactions are good. Took it to the Larnaca post office citizen service, got a temporary piece of paper and the plastic version arrived in the post a couple of weeks later. What could be simpler?