Probate in Cyprus,,Oh dear!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Probate in Cyprus,,Oh dear!

Post by Chaddy »

Having a few beers in my local as one does,yesterday,the subject of probate arose.I was told by some of my drinking compatriates of some horror story,s. :shock:
For example,a lady who,s husband passed away engaged a solicitor to handle the probate side of things as their house was in joint names.All went well until she got the solicitors BILL.........wait for it...........24,000 euros.When she complained he said......wait for it again........"sue me"..Anyone and their mother in law knows that you have a better chance of sueing the pope than successfully sueing anybody in Cyprus for anything.
My home sweet home here is jointly owned by me and my wife,,,Oh dear,,,any advice. :?
trevnhil

Re: Probate in Cyprus,,Oh dear!

Post by trevnhil »

When you need to have probate done on a will then you need to get a price off the solicitor before engaging one ..
Re... " their house was in joint names " .. I am sorry but I cannot see how this can be... They may have had equal shares, but that means that the husband has a title deed to his share, and the wife has a title deed to her share.. Usually, but not always, these shares are 50% each...
This is why probate is needed to make sure that the will of the deceased gifted his or her share to the remaining person ..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

I stopped reading when the,,,,,, my mate down the pub said.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:48 pm What your friend 'in the pub' didn't say was whether the lawyer was just employed to obtain probate or whether he/she was also executor on the Will. It makes a whole lot of difference.
Yes thats a good point Austin,i,ll check this out the next time i,m " in the pub" with the wifes permission of course! :roll:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We were advised to get probate sorted in the UK before Cyprus. As we don't own a property our situation is far simpler than most, but where possible everything is in both names.