Glastonbury - a non-event

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Glastonbury - a non-event

Post by Devil »

2020-06-28_102251.jpg
2020-06-28_102251.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
As far as I can make out, the Glastonbury festival has been cancelled for 2020.

I do not think that the BBC has sussed this cancellation. This evening, they are broadcasting six different overlapping programs on two channels, promoting it. Obviously, as the event has been cancelled, they will be filling in with old hat repetitions from past events. Maybe, living here, I can choose not to watch it, without having to pay a licence fee (I would be niggled if I did have to! :-( :-( :-().
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Glastonbury - a non-event

Post by Dominic »

You are Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:44 am You are Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cactus

Post by cactus »

You are absolutely right and if I could see you I would give you the fiver myself! It's the same every bloody week with the BBC. We will take it that this week black lives no longer matter and the NHS are no longer heroes. Next week it will be the blasted tennis for 300 weeks. It makes me want to scream. Give your 180 quid or whatever it is to the dogs' home.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

cactus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:05 am You are absolutely right and if I could see you I would give you the fiver myself! It's the same every bloody week with the BBC. We will take it that this week black lives no longer matter and the NHS are no longer heroes. Next week it will be the blasted tennis for 300 weeks. It makes me want to scream. Give your 180 quid or whatever it is to the dogs' home.
Cactus, do you actually pay the BBC licence fee?
I didnt think so
David
cactus

Post by cactus »

Well of course not - I believe I was having a grown-up discussion with someone who does, as a rule. Do you pay it? Not, of course, that it is any of my business. Or yours, come to that. By the way Devil you are half right - it is a load of old broadcasts but on THREE channels. Yup, even BBC4 has been hijacked .....
cactus

Post by cactus »

Well of course not - I believe I was having a grown-up discussion with someone who does, as a rule. Do you pay it? Not, of course, that it is any of my business. Or yours, come to that. By the way Devil you are half right - it is a load of old broadcasts but on THREE channels. Yup, even BBC4 has been hijacked .....
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I recall when Glasto' was free along with others like the original Isle of Wight Festival which I was fortunate enough to attend. I am now mystified by the myriad acts that appear now and the sheer cost of attending.

As for the Beeb, I do currently pay the licence fee but am hoping that it will be converted to a subscription service soon. I have spent a lot of these strange times using Netflix and Amazon Prime and have been thoroughly entertained.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

cactus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:03 pm Well of course not - I believe I was having a grown-up discussion with someone who does, as a rule. Do you pay it? Not, of course, that it is any of my business. Or yours, come to that. By the way Devil you are half right - it is a load of old broadcasts but on THREE channels. Yup, even BBC4 has been hijacked .....
You are the one who brought up the licence fee, and no I don't pay it, but I am not the one complaining about the BBC, you are, and you are complaining about channels that are free, if you did pay you would have a point.
Glastonbury is one weekend a year.
David
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

There are over 200,000 actual licence fee payers in the UK who would have been at this event and several million who would have watched it on tv. I think the bbc have done the right thing in putting this together to try and entertain them in these difficult times.
I’m sure that the concerns of a bunch of elderly expats, who do not even pay the license fee for the most part, were way down on their priorities!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Devil wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:38 am As far as I can make out, the Glastonbury festival has been cancelled for 2020.
I do not think that the BBC has sussed this cancellation. This evening, they are broadcasting six different overlapping programs on two channels, promoting it. Obviously, as the event has been cancelled, they will be filling in with old hat repetitions from past events. Maybe, living here, I can choose not to watch it, without having to pay a licence fee (I would be niggled if I did have to! :-( :-( :-().
Victor, will you be complaining when the BBC show repeats of the proms this August?
It may upset you that the centuries 'old hat' music will be for a miserly Two weeks instead of the usual Six of Proms on radio and TV.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... -know-them
David
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I've nowt against "new hat" music. My complaint was directed against the monopolisation of the TV channels by a single event, be it sport, music, drama, whatever. By all means show events but keep one such to a single channel so that viewers still have a choice of watching material.

Last night, we watched some very old popular music from a DVD, to wit 'HMS Pinafore'.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I unfortunately have to pay the licence fee, if you scan the listings of BBC1 and BBC2, it's amazing just how many are repeats, even prime time viewing.

To be honest, the BBC very seldom show anything of interest to me, and I'm not alone in that. The current Sunday prime time viewing 'The Luminaries' is abysmal, dark, disjointed and frankly un-interesting. It's about time the BBC scrapped the licence altogether.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

The BBC is just about the only chain which is more or less politically neutral as far as news and current events is concerned. For this reason, I do watch BBC News nearly every day. I am aware that the Conservatives consider the BBC as liberal and that the Labour Party consider the BBC as Tory-biased. This is actually quite good because it shows that they are more or less neutral even with the odd error from time to time. For this reason, I value the BBC as a source of information, but which I am able to opine on it.

I agree there are too many repeats but their finances would not be able to provide new material 24/7. However when you are my age, your forgettary will welcome repeats of excellent material. The kind of thing that I do not like is that idiotic artist from an American 1980s series, who can daub only Alaskan scenes.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

How on earth can anyone watch the BBC ,imparticular the news and take it as fact is beyond me.I,ve watched TV news in various countries and i,ve never seen such left wing marxist bias in my life as the BBC news.They do not report the full true facts and leave out anything thats is not to their left wing thinking.
Is it any wonder so many have stopped paying their licence fee.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:00 am
Chaddy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am How on earth can anyone watch the BBC ,imparticular the news and take it as fact is beyond me.I,ve watched TV news in various countries and i,ve never seen such left wing marxist bias in my life as the BBC news.They do not report the full true facts and leave out anything thats is not to their left wing thinking.
Is it any wonder so many have stopped paying their licence fee.
I've seen similar criticism of BBC news........ but subbing right wing bias for left wing. Can't both be right
[/quote

Les,there are various scenes ( and important news ) that you can find on utube that the BBC would never report about recent events.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Somebody, remind us how many Pedophiles the BBC employed?
TV licences are an outdated form of tax, should of been scrapped years ago.

With the exception of iPlayer, if you’re not watching or recording live TV, you don’t need a licence.

So other catch-up TV services, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown or programmes available online before being shown on TV don't count.

So with no licence you can still watch:

On demand – including catch-up TV and on demand previews – through services like ITV Player , All4 , My5 , BT Vision/BT TV , Virgin Media , Sky Go , Now TV , Apple TV , Chromecast , Roku and Amazon Fire TV .

On demand movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video .

Recorded films and programmes either from a disc (eg DVD or Blu-ray) or downloaded from the internet.

On demand internet video clips through services like YouTube.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

The problem with the BBC is that it seems to have taken on the role of being the 'opposition'. It seems not to report news anymore but assemble stories with which to hit the Government. Last night it was a collection of stats that were skewed to such an extent as to make the UK the worst effected Covid19 State in the world. All done by selecting stats and a method of calculation to suit their idea. Recently they reported on a demo by BLM and stated it was a peaceful protest yet the footage portrayed a rampaging mob and statues being assaulted as well as Police Officers.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Interesting reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC

this one sums it up for me,

Overstaffing"
The BBC has been criticised for "overstaffing" news, sporting and cultural events and in doing so, both wasting licence fee money and using its dominant position to control the coverage of events.

A 2010 House of Commons Public Accounts Committee report criticised the number of staff that the BBC had sent to sporting events such as the Beijing Olympics and the Euro 2008 football championships.[220] In June 2011, the BBC sent 263 staff to cover the Glastonbury Festival. The next month, it sent 250 staff members to cover an event marking one year until the start of the London 2012 Olympics, ten times the numbers that were used by other broadcasters.[221]

On 19 October 2011, the Liberal Democrats' culture spokesman, Don Foster, criticised the large number of BBC staff members who attended the eviction of Travellers and their supporters from the illegal section of the Dale Farm site. Foster stated that it was "ludicrous overstaffing and hardly [a] good way to get public sympathy for the 20 per cent budget cuts facing the BBC".[222] The BBC responded that it had only 20 staff members on site.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

L.B.

I picked on the BBC, because I pay £150 per annum from my pension, for repeats and biased news programmes. Quite honestly the BBC is not worth £1.50, never mind £150. It's about time the fee was scrapped.

The dramas on ITV are much better than BBC, and if they are repeated I don't watch them, but then I didn't pay ITV £150 either.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.