Village Community Charge

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mike strand2

Village Community Charge

Post by mike strand2 »

Having now received this years demand from my Community Council, I wondered how many people ask to see, (or perhaps have been sent) the audited accounts for the previous year?
WHL

Re: Village Community Charge

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:35 pm Having now received this years demand from my Community Council, I wondered how many people ask to see, (or perhaps have been sent) the audited accounts for the previous year?
Why would they send anyone audited accounts, do you get a copy of audited accounts when you pay your council rates back in the UK?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

So if someone sends you a bill, you just pay it, no questions asked?
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:06 pm So if someone sends you a bill, you just pay it, no questions asked?
When the bill is from the local council, for local tax, then yes We pay it without asking any questions
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We pay the equivalent of £100 per year to our local council, 15 years ago when we were back in the UK it was £100 per month for 10 months.
One of the benefits of living here I think, why rock the boat by asking for audits etc
David
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm When the bill is from the local council, for local tax, then yes We pay it without asking any questions
I haven´t even heard of local taxes. Is that an island-wide phenomenon?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:35 am
WHL wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:33 pm When the bill is from the local council, for local tax, then yes We pay it without asking any questions
How do you expect local councils to collect your trash twice a week, keep the streets clean, etc etc etc
kansas

Post by kansas »

When we first started paying our village community charge we were told that we could visit the offices and review the audited accounts, so it's not really so ridiculous if it's what interests you. We have never bothered but I understand that some people have asked the question. Whether or not they were successful in seeing them is another thing though......
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 pm
How do you expect local councils to collect your trash twice a week, keep the streets clean, etc etc etc
Well, I live in the fields, so there is no refuse collection or street cleaning. I´ve never been asked for any fees whatsoever (except from the EAC). Given that there is no residence registration system in Cyprus I wonder how the municipality knows who to bill for what and how much. E. g. how do they know how many people are living at a given place? Aren´t those fees proportionate to the number of people residing at any given place?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:22 am
WHL wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Well, I live in the fields, so there is no refuse collection or street cleaning. I´ve never been asked for any fees whatsoever (except from the EAC). Given that there is no residence registration system in Cyprus I wonder how the municipality knows who to bill for what and how much. E. g. how do they know how many people are living at a given place? Aren´t those fees proportionate to the number of people residing at any given place?
Dont worry they will catch up with you in time,
as for no street cleaning etc, you cant choose what bits of council tax, you want to pay for,
some of my local taxes go towards the local library ,
we have never used the library, should we start complaining about that?
the fact is we pay a fraction of local taxes compared to the UK maybe the same for Germany
be happy at those low taxes, instead of trying to find ways of not paying anything :roll:
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I think we are all aware that there has always been corruption here! Not the worst in the world but hardly good. Previous Mayors/Community leaders in Paphos & in Kissonega, and I'm sure others whose names I don't recall, have fallen foul of the law.

I'm guessing that these local authorities must have some form of accounting (possibly audited, or not) that would not be difficult to distribute with the bills they send out, rather than just blindly asking for €X every year. Water bills are based on a recognised formula and so we don't need to question those. Similarly when we had to pay Immovable Property Tax. Income tax too.

When I lived in Leicester, my Community Charge bill came with a balance sheet giving some idea where my thousands were spent, whereas here sweet FA.

Why are WHL & HIC being so defensive beats me :o :?:
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 am I think we are all aware that there has always been corruption here! Not the worst in the world but hardly good. Previous Mayors/Community leaders in Paphos & in Kissonega, and I'm sure others whose names I don't recall, have fallen foul of the law.

I'm guessing that these local authorities must have some form of accounting (possibly audited, or not) that would not be difficult to distribute with the bills they send out, rather than just blindly asking for €X every year. Water bills are based on a recognised formula and so we don't need to question those. Similarly when we had to pay Immovable Property Tax. Income tax too.

When I lived in Leicester, my Community Charge bill came with a balance sheet giving some idea where my thousands were spent, whereas here sweet FA.

Why are WHL & HIC being so defensive beats me :o :?:
Not being defensive at all, just because you might think there might be corruption going on at your village council, dosnt mean we do,
I pay about hundred and fifty euro a year for my local council tax,
for this they collect my trash twice a week, a little street cleaning Vehicle drives up and down our road once a week and brushes up the dirt,
there is lots of things layed on for pensioners to do for free, recently they sent free masks for every household, if you have a bit of waste ground next to your property they will send a team of workers to clear the overgrown weeds etc, they even send free poop tests for pensioners every couple of years so you can send them back for analysis free, there are also free concerts etc etc etc, compare this to my property back in London, nearly two grand a year for what, yes they collect the trash every couple of weeks etc,
so in the the big scheme of things I dont want an audited print out with my bill, if it bothers you so much, go down to the local council office and ask to see a breakdown of where your hundred euros a YEAR, is being spent, after careful analysis of the goods bought, you might find that they paid a euro or two more then they should have on brooms, etc.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:54 am Dont worry they will catch up with you in time,
as for no street cleaning etc, you cant choose what bits of council tax, you want to pay for,
the fact is we pay a fraction of local taxes compared to the UK maybe the same for Germany
be happy at those low taxes, instead of trying to find ways of not paying anything :roll:
Don´t jump to conclusions. Neither am I worried nor do I want to avoid paying for something I´m legally required to. It´s just that I haven´t been aware that there is such a thing as a village community charge. Hence my question whether this is the case all over Cyprus. On second thoughts: maybe it´s something to be paid by my landlord? But that would be strange as I would have expected him to pass it on to me.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm
WHL wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:54 am Dont worry they will catch up with you in time,
Don´t jump to conclusions. Neither am I worried nor do I want to avoid paying for something I´m legally required to. It´s just that I haven´t been aware that there is such a thing as a village community charge. Hence my question whether this is the case all over Cyprus. On second thoum to pas_maybe it´s something to be paid by my landlords it on to me.
Jeba, apologies if I read your post the wrong way, it could be your land lord has included it, into your rent, but every property owner has to pay it.
darrow

Post by darrow »

When we lived in Tala we paid a few euro a year local IPT tax. That particular one was for people who had their deeds. which i believe has now been scrapped but not sure, since we moved. I asked here when we first moved into this village i was told they don't charge it. We just pay the local council tax annually.