Officials aim for Cypriot ‘Riviera’ in Akamas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Officials aim for Cypriot ‘Riviera’ in Akamas

Post by Devil »

In essence, the Ministry aims to promote tourism in areas that have not been developed so far, including Pomos, Neo Chorio and Polis with the villages Androlykou, Kathikas, Kritou Tera etc, wanting to gather all small communities under one ‘roof’ with its own brand name that will be used to attract foreign visitors.

As mentioned in the relevant tender documents, the area would require a distinct name in order to be promoted as one entity. Recommendations on the table include the idea to promote it as ‘Cyprus Riviera’, ‘Aphrodite’s Riviera’ or ‘Akamas Riviera’.
The death knell of the most beautiful area on the island, not to mention the unique nature of the Akamas. What a shame!
WHL

Re: Officials aim for Cypriot ‘Riviera’ in Akamas

Post by WHL »

I dont think it will happen, They have hundreds of Hotels in the rest of Cyprus, which need filling up, then theres the Green party and the public that will oppose it,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nice if you included a link.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Funnily enough I read the article a few moments ago and someone else had posted it

Attached is the link

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/officia ... in-akamas/

There is a bit more meat on the bone missed on the OP

It looks a serious timetable
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I would have to agree with Devil on this. If they develop the area as badly as the environs of Paphos, then it will be the end of the nicest part of the Island in my view.
At the moment they seem to be focusing on promoting the area but after the fiasco of removing the illegal campsite and then giving the go ahead for another one but larger, I do worry about the safety of the Akamas.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Diocletian has a good point parts of the area around Paphos and almost the whole of the natural and once wild and beautiful coastline between Paphos and Agios Georgios Is now already under concrete, steel and glass and some developers are developing almost right to the cliff edge or beach, given half a chance. Parts of the coastal path have disappeared and one is forced to leave the coast and divert inland Instead.
The Akamas should have been declared a Natura 2000 Country Park years ago. All development should be stopped in that whole area and it should be left as natural as possible. Especially the renaining Turtle nesting beaches. Surely, there are enough hotels and tourist apartments already.

Dee
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Greed wins above all on the island ......first they should concentrate on the product they have to develop it to attract travellers rather than tourists, to say NO go TUI’s insistence on AI’s or have dedicated only hotels to this instead of a mix
Cyprus has an abundance of fabulous villages to promote the Agro Tourism market
We only have to look at Latchi and that monstrosity of a hotel a storey higher and many meters longer, the development of the EU passport properties that dominate part of the coastline ,...empty, the coastline between Polis to Pomos etc etc
Leave the beauty of the Akamas to nature that’s its attraction .......
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Putting my "tourist" hat on. I think I would want to stay in the Huge Hotel on the hill in Latchi. Superb views to die for.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Supply and demand. the vast majority of tourists want to stay in hotels withing toe touching distance of the sea,
not inland villages, no matter how quaint they might be.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

AI hotels certainly don’t boost the local economy as the people who usually stay here have paid €€€ and usually don’t wish to spend anymore therefore rarely support local businesses or even venture out of the hotel as it’s been said before Cyprus is no longer attracting the people that do spend as their “product “ on the whole is poor value for money
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am Supply and demand. the vast majority of tourists want to stay in hotels withing toe touching distance of the sea,
I agree, but there are more than enough hotels already blighting the coast, all the way from Cape Greco to Polis. Why spoil the little bit that remains? The problem is not the size of the hotel accommodation but the quality of the services offered. I was recently taken short and had to make an urgent call; was it a surprise to see a notice requesting that I do not put toilet paper into the cluggy in a hotel claiming five stars but, in reality, not meriting more than three? Furthermore, the lady who "cleaned" the toilet used a wet mop, missing out all the corners.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:36 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am Supply and demand. the vast majority of tourists want to stay in hotels withing toe touching distance of the sea,
I agree, but there are more than enough hotels already blighting the coast, all the way from Cape Greco to Polis. Why spoil the little bit that remains? The problem is not the size of the hotel accommodation but the quality of the services offered. I was recently taken short and had to make an urgent call; was it a surprise to see a notice requesting that I do not put toilet paper into the cluggy in a hotel claiming five stars but, in reality, not meriting more than three? Furthermore, the lady who "cleaned" the toilet used a wet mop, missing out all the corners.
I for one do not want to see any building in Akamas, I was just replying to a poster who wanted more people to take Village holidays
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am Putting my "tourist" hat on. I think I would want to stay in the Huge Hotel on the hill in Latchi. Superb views to die for.
I was advised that the Zen Hotel on the hill overlooking Latsi was closed down. Apparently not as viable as had been hoped. This was in February 2020.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Many Cyprus Hotels close down in the Winter Months. But this year due to the virus, many have yet to open, if indeed they ever do..
Trev..
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:05 pm Many Cyprus Hotels close down in the Winter Months. But this year due to the virus, many have yet to open, if indeed they ever do..
Believe it or not, I am aware of that. This hotel has actually stopped trading according to sources in Latsi. A friend stayed there a couple of years ago and described the regime as being akin to a cross between lettuce adoration and a lot of crossed legs.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yioula wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:12 pm AI hotels certainly don’t boost the local economy as the people who usually stay here have paid €€€ and usually don’t wish to spend anymore therefore rarely support local businesses or even venture out of the hotel as it’s been said before Cyprus is no longer attracting the people that do spend as their “product “ on the whole is poor value for money
Nonsense. Cyprus is not poor value for money. Far from it. And people going AI do venture out as well. A lot of them use the AI as a safety net, because it is cheaper.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Visiting Brits may well think that Cyprus due to the higher price of flights here, is expensive due to the decline in the exchange rates of the £ to the €. And some of them stick to the hotel facilities on offer especially as some hotels now feature their own water parks and snacks, ice cream and some alcohol are included there as well!

Dee