We should see seaweed as a "blessing not a curse"?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

We should see seaweed as a "blessing not a curse"?

Post by Paphos Life »

Its seaweed season again, and like every June this messy, smelly and pricey-to-clear-up plant is piling up on our beaches....

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: We should see seaweed as a ???blessing not a curse?????

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I posted already about using seaweed at a different topic:

Dominic wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 am
There was a report last year about some young Cypriots setting up a business to turn it into fertiliser.

Much more interesting is to use seaweed, producing building insulation mats. Specially in Cyprus it would be a huge market. It is used in Germany since years now with a price just slightly higher then products using chemical ingredients.

In Cyprus it would be an easy way to produce it. Just spread it out in a thin layer in winter and the rain will drain the salt and sand. Later in the year the sun will dry it and then to collect it with an harvester type machine and form it into rolls.

http://www.c2c-centre.com/product/build ... insulation
https://advancenonwoven.dk

Max
PW in Polemi

Re: We should see seaweed as a ???blessing not a curse?????

Post by PW in Polemi »

In Guernsey, seaweed (or vraic as it is known there) has been collected for hundreds of years to use as fertiliser on the fields.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: We should see seaweed as a "blessing not a curse"?

Post by Dominic »

Does it have to be treated, or can you just mix it in with the soil? And does it smell?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 am Does it have to be treated, or can you just mix it in with the soil? And does it smell?
It maybe too much salt on it, which could be rinsed off with water and dried in the sunshine. After that mixing into the soil would be a nice fertilizer and won't smell. (ca 1/2 kg per 10 m2)

Slightly different subject: When I was a organic farmer 30 years ago, I was refused to take seaweed from the Polis beaches. I would have used it in my farm as it is rich in potassium. I was told it is forbidden to take anything from the beaches, also rocks etc... only rubbish would be OK :roll:

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic, we have used sea weed collected ourselves. Its best if you take it from the beach, above the high tide mark at the end of the winter., when it has been washed by rain, but has dried out. Which saves you a lot of work. Initially, we used it as a mulch around plants Where it did a good job retaining moisture and reducing weeds.
As it gradually rotted down it was easy to combine it with the soil in the flower beds with good results as it fed the plants.

Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

Tide mark Dee???

The sea week washed up on Riccos beach is not edible and it does not rot so unlikely to be good for gardens, the Daughter and Granddaughter have a stables, they use huge amounts for their horse Menage trotting area..

All of the weed is from the Ricco's area beach or Geroskipou beach..By the way it is free only delivery is paid for.And a lot of very hard work.
Attachments
helens stables (800 x 800).jpg
helens stables (800 x 800).jpg (238.48 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
Riccos beach sea weed (800 x 600).jpg
Riccos beach sea weed (800 x 600).jpg (183.09 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Jim.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

JimX wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:29 pm Tide mark Dee???

The sea week washed up on Riccos beach is not edible and it does not rot so unlikely to be good for gardens,

Maybe you have the time to read the article about the benefits of seaweed in the garden.........and ideal for organic gardening!! I would have used it at my organic citrus farm if I was allowed in the past.

https://www.overtopinfo.com/seaweed-as-fertilizer/

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We just collected some as I previously wrote. There was no one about and the sea weed was there a -plenty
Jim X I remember Arguments in the past on another board about tides, currents and now high water!
What I call high water is when there is a storm for example lots of stuff including sea weed is washed up on the beach, often far up. In normal weather the incoming tide doesn't reach very far, so some sea weed is effectively not washed by the sea and when it rains some of the salt is removed. Hope thats OK now.

It does eventually rot down if used as a mulch for a long time and it can also be mixed with top soil or animal manure in the flower beds. At least that is what hapoened in our garden....

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just thought I would leave this here.

https://www.tidetime.org/europe/cyprus/kissonerga.htm
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Dominic

That has got to be Fake News – You know full well there are no tides in Cyprus

While I’m on – Any chance that you will be driving along the bottom road Poseidonos Avenue from say the riccos beach area to the Harbour with your camera just to let us see what the place is like in a quiet June before the mayhem starts up again for those of us who cannot get over yet ?
JimX

Post by JimX »

71 you're dead right there, absolutely no tides of any size, 10 cm's, that seaweed is not edible or for gardens, it just does not rot and why my family use it for a Manage for houses. I must say Geroskipou council have really cleaned the beach area up, and got its tidless beach back, but do not put that seaweed on your salad.. :D

By the way Dom I have seen that chart before, but ask any boat owners or like my SIL a ships captain he always says there is no real tides in this part of Cyprus, anyone bothered to go down and look, if so I'll see you there.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

On July 2nd there will be a 27cm difference between low and high tide. Not a huge tide, but real enough.

Nobody is claiming that Cyprus has big tides. But to say it has no tides is wrong.

Ok, that topic's had its annual airing. What's the next one?
JimX

Post by JimX »

I said 10cm....but to local fishermen and sea captains that is not a tide, some parts of Cy do have more tides than Pafos but here you will not see a Mablethorpe. Tide in or out? :D

Just come back from Riccos beach 8am Dog walk., if your hungry help yourself Max..
Attachments
Riccos beach (900 x 506).jpg
Riccos beach (900 x 506).jpg (161.74 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
Last edited by JimX on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

There are and always will be TIDES in the Med. It is a fact. There is a sailing school here in Paphos. Part of the Yachtmasters course is Tidal waters and that is so in Cyprus. Please give up Jim.
All things are possible
JimX

Post by JimX »

:D not necessary here lincoln....

Give up me!!! maybe you should take your own advice mate.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

JimX wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:31 am I said 10cm....but to local fishermen and sea captains that is not a tide, some parts of Cy do have more tides than Pafos but here you will not see a Mablethorpe. Tide in or out? :D

Just come back from Riccos beach 8am Dog walk., if your hungry help yourself Max..
Lots of local drivers don't know what an indicator is. It doesn't mean they don't exist.

There is a BIG difference between 10cm and and 27cm. Whoever told you there wasn't was probably trying not to hurt your feelings. :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

There are many sites on google which give Tides in Cyprus, the poster who keeps banging on about no tides in Cyprus, reminds me of that king Kenute dude.
https://www.tide-forecast.com/countries/Cyprus
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kanute was a victim of bad spin. He wanted to demonstrate that he couldn't turn back the tide.