Bank account

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

Bank account

Post by lotus »

Hi all,as I am still stuck in Cyprus for a few more weeks does anybody know if I can open a bank account either over the phone or internet in the UK?,have not got one there, Had one with Barclays but that was closed years ago,my partner has one in her name in U k with Lloyds,I am waiting for some money to be paid but it has to go into UK bank account in my name ,if not then I will have to wait till one day I can fly over. Thanks
mike strand2

Re: Bank account

Post by mike strand2 »

lotus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:16 pm Hi all,as I am still stuck in Cyprus for a few more weeks does anybody know if I can open a bank account either over the phone or internet in the UK?,have not got one there, Had one with Barclays but that was closed years ago,my partner has one in her name in U k with Lloyds,I am waiting for some money to be paid but it has to go into UK bank account in my name ,if not then I will have to wait till one day I can fly over. Thanks
Could a lawyer here do that for you with the appropriate POA.
J B

Post by J B »

Do you have a UK address and are you on the electoral roll there?

How do you manage your life without a bank account out of interest?
J B
lotus

Post by lotus »

I have a UK address I could use,have a Bank of Cyprus account here,will make some phone calls today
J B

Post by J B »

lotus wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:29 am I have a UK address I could use,have a Bank of Cyprus account here,will make some phone calls today
Sorry, you misunderstood me - you will need to be registered on the electoral roll and have a credit history to be able to easily obtain a UK bank account, especially on-line.

Obviously the fraudster who opened several accounts with Nat West in our town (one in my wife's name) managed to bypass that, but normally, they are very particular.
J B
lotus

Post by lotus »

Thanks J B will try later,yes I understand banks have to be strict which is a good thing of course,been in Cyprus nearly 20 years no idea if Iam on the electoral roll!
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:31 am
lotus wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:29 am I have a UK address I could use,have a Bank of Cyprus account here,will make some phone calls today
Sorry, you misunderstood me - you will need to be registered on the electoral roll and have a credit history to be able to easily obtain a UK bank account, especially on-line.

Obviously the fraudster who opened several accounts with Nat West in our town (one in my wife's name) managed to bypass that, but normally, they are very particular.
We have a property in London, but haven't been on the electoral roll for donkeys years, and we both opened a bank account last year, after the Bank of Cyprus UK, closed down.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Thanks all,think I have it sorted with Lloyds in UK,