Taking Back Their Island

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Diocletian

Re: Taking Back Their Island

Post by Diocletian »

Jim B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:29 pm Because they see themselves as Greeks first and then Cypriots second as do the Turkish Cypriots see themselves as Turks first.
I was reading an article yesterday that suggested Cypriot Greek language is closer to Ancient Greek than modern Greek is. The Cypriot Greek language is a vernacular of Greek witn many Turkic words, my wife who speaks a Turkic language recognises many words that are used in her home country language in Central Asia.

Jim
I heard a Cypriot state that he could better communicate with Alexander of Macedonia than the President of Greece. The Cypriots I know place their Cypriot identity before the Greek speaking bit as do the Turkish speaking Cypriots that I know.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 pm
Jim B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:29 pm Because they see themselves as Greeks first and then Cypriots second as do the Turkish Cypriots see themselves as Turks first.
I was reading an article yesterday that suggested Cypriot Greek language is closer to Ancient Greek than modern Greek is. The Cypriot Greek language is a vernacular of Greek witn many Turkic words, my wife who speaks a Turkic language recognises many words that are used in her home country language in Central Asia.

Jim
Well I can say that in my husband’s large family they certainly see themselves as Cypriot first as would never say they were Greeks. Yes they have Greek heritage and Greek language but you’d get a response if you called my husband a Greek instead of a Cypriot!

Jeanne
Jeanne
My Son in Laws very large Cypriot family call themselves Greek Cypriots, not Cypriot Greeks. Great Grandma comes from one of the Green Line villages and still speaks a Turkish patois even though she's of Greek heritage.
You are correct in that many Cypriots see themselves as Cypriot but just as many if not more see themselves aligned with their mother countries that's why theres so many Greek flags flying all over the island. Looking out over our village I can see a number of them flying over private properties.

Ji
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There are lots of strong different Dialects used in The UK. Glasgow, Liverpool and Tyneside come to mind
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:12 pm There are lots of strong different Dialects used in The UK. Glasgow, Liverpool and Tyneside come to mind
Years ago on a cruise, we shared a table with a nice geordie couple, ten day cruise I swear I didn't understand a word he said, being from london, I had to look up what Bairns meant, when he asked how many we had :shock:
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Wey aye man !

And I thought you were a fellow Geordie and turns out you’re a Jellied Eel Eater
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm Wey aye man !

And I thought you were a fellow Geordie and turns out you’re a Jellied Eel Eater
Wouldn't touch a jellied eel if you paid me, :lol: we used to call them snakes in snot, when were kids.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think if you list difficult dialects in the UK Aberdeen and further North to Banff must come near the top of the list.

Jim
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

North west coast of Scotland is the most difficult to understand - Sort of Irish Glaswegian
memory man

Post by memory man »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:35 am I think if you list difficult dialects in the UK Aberdeen and further North to Banff must come near the top of the list.

Jim
Here's a taster.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was friendly with a bunch of Scottish builders who had infiltrated our student bar for some cheap hooch. They were all from Glasgow, but one of them I couldn't understand a word of. His friends literally had to translate everything he said. Funny thing was, we got on like a house on fire. At the time I had digs just off Gloucester Road (the sort of place with one tiny shared shower for about 10 bedrooms. Nothing fancy), and there would often be a gaggle of Scottish builders snoring on the floor after a night out. But I could not understand a word the man said. Not a word.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:50 am I was friendly with a bunch of Scottish builders who had infiltrated our student bar for some cheap hooch. They were all from Glasgow, but one of them I couldn't understand a word of. His friends literally had to translate everything he said. Funny thing was, we got on like a house on fire. At the time I had digs just off Gloucester Road (the sort of place with one tiny shared shower for about 10 bedrooms. Nothing fancy), and there would often be a gaggle of Scottish builders snoring on the floor after a night out. But I could not understand a word the man said. Not a word.
Reminds me of a Cypriot wedding I was invited to when we first came here over thirty years ago, we were put on a table with a Scottish guy, from Glasgow, the people who invited us guessed as we were from the UK we would get on, like you Dominic I didnt understand a word he said, I nodded a lot, and laughed when he did, he could talk for Britain, fast like a Gatling gun, the only two words I understood were , wee lassie and wee dram, we left there, after a few hours feeling as thou I had just gone twelve rounds with Mike Tyson. :shock: