TV Recommendation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

TV Recommendation

Post by WHL »

Just watched a three part documentary, called The food that build America, a fascinating insight on how many of the biggest brands in the World started and their effect on the World, including, Coca Cola, Birdseye, Mcdonalds, Hershys, Kelloggs etc
trevnhil

Re: TV Recommendation

Post by trevnhil »

Well 'Hershys' didn't have much effect on my world.. Never heard of it..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hershey Bars are famous.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:55 am Well 'Hershys' didn't have much effect on my world.. Never heard of it..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ey_Company
Cadbury, Rolo, Kit Kat etc.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:55 am Well 'Hershys' didn't have much effect on my world.. Never heard of it..
Trev, they were the first chocolate manufactures in the USA, the guy built a town for his workers etc etc, he actually, build a factory to produce the chocolate,before he worked out how to make milk chocolate, as I said a brilliant insight into history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hershey_Company
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ahhhh The USA.... I've not been there ;-)
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

I thought Hershys was The Adventures of Tintin.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Must say Hershey chocolate is one of the few brands I don't like and that's saying something.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

If you watch the TV series, you will see why it tastes different, Hershey spent a long time trying to developer his milk chocolate, at the time Europeans used powdered milk, he wanted to use fresh milk, having acquired vast amounts of dairy land, around his factory, fresh milk has alot of water in it, chocolate has a lot of fat, so they dont marry up well, it took along time to get the formula right, fresh milk gave it a bit of a sour taste, which is still the case today. He even invented a chocolate for the troops in WW2, That had a very high melting point .
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I have always liked Hershey Bars, they remind me of Cadburys Bournville, which I am a fan of.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:45 am If you watch the TV series, you will see why it tastes different, Hershey spent a long time trying to developer his milk chocolate, at the time Europeans used powdered milk, he wanted to use fresh milk, having acquired vast amounts of dairy land, around his factory, fresh milk has alot of water in it, chocolate has a lot of fat, so they dont marry up well, it took along time to get the formula right, fresh milk gave it a bit of a sour taste, which is still the case today. He even invented a chocolate for the troops in WW2, That had a very high melting point .
Just tastes soapy to me, that must be the sour taste you mentioned.
The Americans lads and girls in the American company where I used to work brought big bags of mini Hershey Bars back off leave to share around.
Some of the nicest chocolate I've tasted is from Russia and Kazakhstan, you can buy Russian chocolate in Paps.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If they took over Cadbury, it seems that their chocolate isn't as popular with the British. Apparently the sale of cream eggs has fallen dramatically.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:19 pm If they took over Cadbury, it seems that their chocolate isn't as popular with the British. Apparently the sale of cream eggs has fallen dramatically.
In the words of the orange one
Fake news folks
Cadbury Creme Egg is the most popular and over 500 million Creme Eggs are made every year with about two thirds of that number being enjoyed in the UK. That is 3.5 Cadbury Creme Eggs for every person in this country to enjoy.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It is reported that Mondelez changed the recipe of the chocolate coating of Cadbury Crème Eggs, in 2015. In January 2016, it was reported that Cadbury had lost £6m in reduced sales of the eggs. Whose chocolate they used, I know not.

Fake news or not, I can find no report from Cadbury to state that this news is untrue.

I know The Chuckle Brothers like a pop at anything I post, carry on boys.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 pm It is reported that Mondelez changed the recipe of the chocolate coating of Cadbury Crème Eggs, in 2015. In January 2016, it was reported that Cadbury had lost £6m in reduced sales of the eggs. Whose chocolate they used, I know not.

Fake news or not, I can find no report from Cadbury to state that this news is untrue.

I know The Chuckle Brothers like a pop at anything I post, carry on boys.
I remember reading something about that Jackie but I can't remember where. I though they'd changed to a cheaper type of chocolate.

Jim