Winter Fuel Allowance Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Minerva

Winter Fuel Allowance Cyprus

Post by Minerva »

Hi, we received the Winter Fuel Allowance last year after many years without. We have now been told that the 'English' aren't getting it from now on as we have left the EU. We have MEU3 Forms. Anyone know about this? TIA. xx
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
WHL

Re: Winter Fuel Allowance Cyprus

Post by WHL »

Minerva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 am Hi, we received the Winter Fuel Allowance last year after many years without. We have now been told that the 'English' aren't getting it from now on as we have left the EU. We have MEU3 Forms. Anyone know about this? TIA. xx
I would imagine, that it will be available for people with Cypriot or EU citizenship, from now on.
JimX

Post by JimX »

The winter fuel allowance to ex-pats was stopped many years ago, unless someone knows better...
Jim.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It started up again 2 years ago, I am not sure who pays it now, Cyprus or the EU
David
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

JimX wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm The winter fuel allowance to ex-pats was stopped many years ago, unless someone knows better...
Yes, the UK Winter Fuel Allowance was stopped a few years ago - I believe the last payment was in 2015 and was according to age.

However, many continue to receive the Cyprus Winter Fuel Allowance which I understand is allocated due to how high a property is above sea level.

Link to one topic: viewtopic.php?t=9483
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

This is not about the UK winter fuel allowance.
Several years ago the EU payed €250 per person at working age who lived in villages over 600 metres, it was commonly known as the winter fuel allowance.
However it wasn't for winter fuel it was really called an economic payment as the villages where losing their young people to the main towns like Paphos to save on travelling time and costs. The pensioners got it also at a reduced rate of €180 per person.
It was stopped when the country was penalized by the EU during the banking crisis.
Two years ago a similar payment has started up again, but as I said I am not sure who is paying this the EU or Cyprus.
David
JimX

Post by JimX »

We received our very last UK winter heating allowance payment from the UK in 2015 or so, it had nothing to do with Cyprus, it was then age related and as we were UK citizens just as they do in the UK we got this allowance, the fact we live here had nothing to do with any Cypriot involvement, it has long gone for us all here, whatever the Cy government give you I personally have no idea.
Jim.