Rapid testing at airports for people arriving from abroad...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Rapid testing at airports for people arriving from abroad...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I was thinking that it could happen very quickly, when airports are open again, that we have for a sudden plenty of new cases in Cyprus and are not able to cope with that with our existing health system.

I contacted our Deputy mayor when I watched a TV program from Germany, that a new system is available, where passengers can be scanned for corona at the airports in a container unit, and within seconds the result will show up.

Just now, reading the Cyprus Mail there is an article exactly about that, as my idea reached the Government, which is set to launch a bidding process for these scanning containers. As one unit costs ca 1.2 m Euro I wonder if Cyprus can afford that, but on the other hand if it helps tourism here to come back on it's feet, it is nothing.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/06/13/coro ... d-testing/

Max
WHL

Re: Rapid testing at airports for people arriving from abroad...

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:03 pm I was thinking that it could happen very quickly, when airports are open again, that we have for a sudden plenty of new cases in Cyprus and are not able to cope with that with our existing health system.

I contacted our Deputy mayor when I watched a TV program from Germany, that a new system is available, where passengers can be scanned for corona at the airports in a container unit, and within seconds the result will show up.

Just now, reading the Cyprus Mail there is an article exactly about that, as my idea reached the Government, which is set to launch a bidding process for these scanning containers. As one unit costs ca 1.2 m Euro I wonder if Cyprus can afford that, but on the other hand if it helps tourism here to come back on it's feet, it is nothing.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/06/13/coro ... d-testing/

Max
Say someone tests positive? surely the people who were sitting next to them, will not show up positive right away, but rather some days later if they got infected
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Max, that article talks not about seconds for results or such an expensive system.... would be very interested in the details...

Current rapid testing takes about 10 minutes. Ability for ALL tests to detect Covid19 is about 60%. Not due to accuracy, but the fact many people are positive and it doesn’t show up.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:13 pm Max, that article talks not about seconds for results or such an expensive system.... would be very interested in the details...

Current rapid testing takes about 10 minutes. Ability for ALL tests to detect Covid19 is about 60%. Not due to accuracy, but the fact many people are positive and it doesn’t show up.

Here are some details, showing the container arriving at a German hospital...

video from the producer:

and the translated text from the German press which tells you that accuracy is 96%, the test takes 2 seconds and images 9 minutes etc etc....

Examination before admission
With the high-tech scanner the medical possibilities reach a new level. Suspected cases of corona can now be examined outside the building before being admitted to hospital in the container. The container can be accessed via the emergency room, and the personnel in the container are physically separated from the patient for safety reasons. The lung disease Covid-19 can thus be detected at an early stage and quickly by chest x-ray without a smear and prior to a confirmed laboratory test. If the diagnosis is positive, the patient is immediately taken to the isolation area.

Two seconds scan
The scan takes just two seconds, explains Andreas Henneke, responsible at the manufacturer "Canon Medical Systems". The Neuss-based company has won nine of the 34 orders from Bavaria. The Krankenhaus GmbH states the accuracy of the images at 96 percent. Results per image file are already available after nine minutes, the medical director calculates. Knez, a self-confessed advocate of regional hospitals, is correspondingly satisfied: "We have been able to get cutting-edge technology to the countryside. At the same time, many patients can now be examined in a short time, which prepares the clinic for a possible renewed increase in infection rates. In addition, the Weilheim residents have the possibility to use telemedicine to communicate with their cooperation partner at the Rechts der Isar clinic, Munich.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

So the advantage is also if one traveler is positive, all the others from that plane can be separated and isolated not to next day but immediately, as the scan shows the infection within seconds.(no need to wait 9 minutes for images)

Max
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I hope it works., but it’s really a 9minute test and they would need to clean between patients... however it might be the only 95%+ accurate one on the market!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 pm I hope it works., but it’s really a 9minute test and they would need to clean between patients... however it might be the only 95%+ accurate one on the market!

Time is what matters - every second faster can be priceless.....

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sounds a brilliant idea if Cyprus can afford one. But wait a minute, Cyprus has two airports. So that would mean a minimum of two needed. Then say 3 tourist carrying aircraft arrive at the same time at Paphos airport. Wouldn't we need more than one machine to cope with that number of people?

Dee
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The article in CM talks about a test that takes 90 minutes . The machine is probably the Samba II , which cost about £23,000 .