They think it’s all over

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tuppence

They think it’s all over

Post by Tuppence »

Out for our early morning (0640) walk this morning in Paphos town. Plenty of traffic especially around Kennedy Square & the Law Courts as people went to work. Last week nearly every person was wearing a mask, although some were under their chin. This morning, workmen with passengers, an intercity bus driver, delivery men, in fact we didn’t see one person wearing a mask. OK, it’s warm & perhaps they put a mask on at their destination but I think a lot of people think the pandemic is over. They should read this article in the paper this morning - https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/unit-se ... patriates/
lotus

Re: They think it’s all over

Post by lotus »

There always has to be some bloody idiots about,ship them back to the UK I say!😠
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

lotus wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm There always has to be some bloody idiots about,ship them back to the UK I say!😠
Why would they ship them back to the UK? it doesnt mention that they are British
David
memory man

Post by memory man »

Tuppence wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 pm in fact we didn’t see one person wearing a mask.
Similar in Lidl this morning............ apart from staff.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 pm There always has to be some bloody idiots about,ship them back to the UK I say!😠
If they are "bloody idiots", then they are almost sure to be of UK origin. The term does not really translate well into Greek. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Not really a Paphos issue, but my dentist this morning told me that 1000 people in a nightclub in Ayia Napa have been partying for 3 days. :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

aphrodite wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 pm Not really a Paphos issue, but my dentist this morning told me that 1000 people in a nightclub in Ayia Napa have been partying for 3 days. :roll:
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/06/09/coro ... -measures/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Lots of masks in use at Alpha Mega today.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is good but I admit I don't normally use a mask when shopping.. I use Jell and gloves though and have my own jell in the car..
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think that ALL people should be wearing a face-covering in ANY situation where they can not control their social distance, this has a HUGE impact on lowering potential infection, as mathematicians like @Devil could work out the reduction in potential, when 2m reduces by 98%, face coverings for you by another 85%, by someone else by another 85%... add them together and it's not an average.... You end up with a minuscule number.

"2m distancing, masks key to stopping Covid-19 spread: Study
The study found that the risk of infection was 2.6% when people stand more than a metre away from the infected people, against 12.8% risk if they were within a metre, with modelling suggesting that the risk halved for every extra metre, up to three metres.

Masks and protective eye coverings also added protective benefits, though the evidence for that was less clear cut, said the analysis, which was part-funded by the World Health Organization (WHO). The chance of infection was 3.1% for those wearing a face mask, and 17.4% for those without, while using face shields and glasses reduced the risk of transmission to 5.5%, down from 16% without use."
kansas

Post by kansas »

Can't comment knowledgeably on whether or not masks are beneficial but we wear ours to support the staff who have to wear them all day. Must be awful in this hot weather.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:06 pm That is good but I admit I don't normally use a mask when shopping.. I use Jell and gloves though and have my own jell in the car..
Me too. I have worn a mask a couple of times but don't like them. If I had any sort of cough I would put one on though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I most usually wear a mask and gloves+Hand gel when in a supermarket. Also if any store I'm in looks crowded. But I don't like wearing a mask when I'm driving as I feel hot and uncomfortable.

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I’ll listen to an eminent expert thank you;

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I never wear a mask whilst in open spaces, however when approaching people the mask goes on. Always wear it in shops. The virus can linger in the air and land on surfaces so also protect my hands. It is of course up to each individual to make the choice.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 am So for how many more months/years do peeps intend wearing a mask? For ever, even?

You have to look at the situation as it exists at this moment in time. To all intents and purposes, Covid-19 is almost completely eradicated in Cyprus. Despite widespread testing, only zero to 4 new cases are found each day and 80% of those are repatriated arrivals from abroad.

So whilst I would almost certainly wear a mask while in public in the UK, I now feel completely at ease not doing so here.

But the nice thing is we can each make that individual choice.

The situation may of course change once tourists start coming here en-masse ;)
We put the mask on when going into Bank/shops, and from now on,we will wear them on flights, because a few times we have been well getting on the flight, and then having cold/flu symptoms the following days.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps adapt this with a flap so you can eat?
Attachments
97543432_1131467013897090_5352374414480506880_n.jpg
97543432_1131467013897090_5352374414480506880_n.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 am

So whilst I would almost certainly wear a mask while in public in the UK;)
I don’t and neither does one of my neighbours who is 80 or another who is 83.

We just use our common sense
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:52 am
WHL wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am...and from now on,we will wear them on flights, because a few times we have been well getting on the flight, and then having cold/flu symptoms the following days.
We won't have a choice in this matter. So far as I know, most/all airlines will for the forseeable future require passengers to wear a mask for the whole flight. Bit of a bummer about not being able to eat food on the flight though, as that's what breaks up the monotony of a flight.
How should this be working on long distance flights? Are you supposed to go on diet for 14 hours?
Varky

Post by Varky »

Beechwood,
All very well to say you use common sense, but there are loads of people out there that don't even know how to spell 'common sense'. A mask in the main only protects others from you, so, I wear one in crowded places where the 2M rule can't practicably apply, as a sort of respect to my fellow shoppers.
In Cyprus, generally you can't even get into a hospital as an outpatient if you don't have mask and gloves and they usually take your temperature before you go in.