D Day

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

D Day

Post by lotus »

Surprised nobodies mentioned D Day,never forget without all those brave souls we probably wouldn't be here today,perhaps it means nothing to most people nowadays?,people are too engrossed with their own petty things to bother remembering this important day
jagwheels

Re: D Day

Post by jagwheels »

Lotus there is a June quiz on the forum & a member has already remembered the day :)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lotus
Our Dad was there and we never forget the sacrifices he made.
Our youngest sister was born on this date and Dad always referred to her as our little D Day baby. :-)
lotus

Post by lotus »

Thought it would have made the main forum not a quiz! Jim sorry about your dad,poor Devils went through hell for sure
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

So sad that the media is so obsessed with Corona and 'Black Lives Matter' protests, that they don't mention the sacrifice men made that day, 76 years ago.

Those men's lives mattered too.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

So sad indeed Firefly. Just heard that some 'Black Lives Matter' protesters have defaced the statue of Churchill in Parliament Square, London on the anniversary of D-Day. At times I despair. A few spoil it for so many
Last edited by jagwheels on Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Think you may want to fact-check that allegation before you despair. Reported on Breibart, and the photo is old.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

They certainly were hurling things over the railings into Downing Street.

Why are these protests happening in the UK, when the death took place in America ?

Our men died on D Day.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Slightly different from (allegedly) defacing a statue.

So are you saying that the global protests about the massive injustices and racism against black people should stop because of the tragic losses 75 years ago?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Lotus, rather than moan, why didn't you just start a nice thread about D Day?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Who's moaning? Just stating a fact about the apparent lack of interest on this special day,it just shows a lot of people aren't interested,I find its a total lack of respect towards all those brave people
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I am ex military. All the forums that I am on are full of "D-Day" memories and show the photos of celebrations of the results of that day. Just because it is not on this Forum does not mean it is not being remembered all over the world by millions of people and as Galexinda states there were other conflicts being fought as well.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Myself and others run a UK Facebook group with 16,000 members. But there has been very little mention of D Day :-(
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

Anyone of a certain age doesn't forget, but, how far back do you want to go? Truthfully, it
does'nt have much relevance to the younger generation, whether we like it or not! Do we commemorate the battle of waterloo, or of Bannockburn? No, life goes on, yesterday has gone, tomorrow never comes, there is only today!
The reason these protest are so widespread is because the discrimination is going on all over the World, including U.K. and resonates with so many people of all races! Injustice should not be tolerated. Unfortunately there will always be those who go to these protests with the sole purpose to call trouble. Majority of them are not genuine protesters. There are many events throughout history that have involved heavy sacrifice from the people of the nations involved, they have all been relevant to future events and they in turn create history. It is normal and natural! Life goes on, never back.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Anyone of a certain age doesn't forget, but, how far back do you want to go? Truthfully, it
does'nt have much relevance to the younger generation, whether we like it or not! Do we commemorate the battle of waterloo, or of Bannockburn? No, life goes on, yesterday has gone, tomorrow never comes, there is only today!
The reason these protest are so widespread is because the discrimination is going on all over the World, including U.K. and resonates with so many people of all races! Injustice should not be tolerated. Unfortunately there will always be those who go to these protests with the sole purpose to call trouble. Majority of them are not genuine protesters. There are many events throughout history that have involved heavy sacrifice from the people of the nations involved, they have all been relevant to future events and they in turn create history. It is normal and natural! Life goes on, never back.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Probably doesn't interest the younger generation I agree but I and many other of our generation on this forum would not be here it it wasn't for those brave men on D Day,thing is battles like Waterloo happened a long time ago,there are still survivors from D Day and they should be remembered
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Why would we not be here?
If we had lost the war we might be speaking German.
Hitler only persecuted non Aryans, isnt that what that war was about?
David
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

lotus wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am Probably doesn't interest the younger generation I agree but I and many other of our generation on this forum would not be here it it wasn't for those brave men on D Day,thing is battles like Waterloo happened a long time ago,there are still survivors from D Day and they should be remembered
As a 12 year old kid, I remember D-Day very well. What you are saying effectively is that when there are no more survivors from a battle, then it should be forgotten. I more than agree but then I am not keen even thinking about the past; I believe it much better to think about the future and how to make it more friendly. We learn nothing by digging up Hastings, Bannockburn, Waterloo, Trafalgar, D-Day, VE day, VJ day, not to mention our less than glorious defeats in Crimea, Burma and Singapore. The only feeblest excuse for remembering war or battles is to make sure that they can never happen again, under any pretext.
lotus

Post by lotus »

No ,I will never forget what those brave souls did for the country even when the last survivor is gone,Conflict is always going to happen unfortunately look at the state of things now in countries,as for saying we probably wouldn't be here now if Germany had won who knows what would have happened