MEU3

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: MEU3

Post by Jim B »

Tremigirl
As Dee said Nicosia Immigration has been overwhelmed by applications and not just by British applicants, sometimes when you go there it's like being in the Kremlin.
I went through a Lawyer in Nicosia when my wife applied for citizenship and when we went to collect her passport she was taken into a for photographs and the room was packed floor to ceiling with folders that my wife was told were MU applications.
Going through Gwenny appears to be the obvious route. My wifes application sat in immigration for nearly a year until we went to the Lawyer and he firstly had a new MU3 more or less immediately issued and then her citizenship certificate followed.

Jim
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Varky wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:07 pm
galexinda wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:10 pm I decided to go to Nicosia last year to sort out my MEU3 problem - in and out of the office in less than 10 minutes. It is in Chilonos Street just a short walk from the Intercity Bus Terminal in Nicosia.
And were you successful?
All sorted on the day and as a result an important issue regarding another government department was automatically resolved a few days later.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Hi everyone,
regarding the MEU3, this maybe silly question but I don't know the answer.
I have a MEU1, once I get my MEU3 will I be eligible to apply for a Cypriot passport? And would I be allowed to keep my UK passport as well.
Thanks all.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You have to be resident in Cyprus for seven years to apply for a Cypriot passport. Cyprus and the UK allow dual citizenship, other countries don't.
Also you have to stay in country for one year before application.

Jim
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Jim B wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 pm You have to be resident in Cyprus for seven years to apply for a Cypriot passport. Cyprus and the UK allow dual citizenship, other countries don't.
Also you have to stay in country for one year before application.

Jim
Hi Jim, we have lived here now for thirteen years so resident with our MEU1, would you know if we could apply for a Cypriot passport with just our MEU1 status?
Thanks again/
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

If after reading all the advice on here, you still don't want to get an MEU 3 before the UK leaves the EU which would be before you could obtain a Cypriot passport,
you could get a definitive answer either from Immigration or you could ask Gwenny.

Dee
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Hi Dee,
and thanks for your reply, but my intention is to get the MEU3, I was just inquiring if it's possible to get a Cyprus passport with the MEU1.
Thanks again.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

NATURALIZATION BASED ON YEARS OF RESIDENCE

''It can be submitted by foreign nationals, who have completed seven years of legal residence in the Republic prior to the date of application''.

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/CRMD/crmd.nsf ... enDocument

As the MEU1 has no expiry date I would expect it to meet the above requirements.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

CYWALL
When my wife applied for Citizenship she only had an MU2 which is the equivalent to the MU1 for non EU Citizens so if she was able to do it everyone should be able to.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have asked several times for anybody to provide assurances that Gwenny' business aren't bribing officials in order to get preferential treatment, but nobody has as yet been able to supply me with any.

I am not happy with activities such as bribery being promoted on this forum.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic,
How can anyone tell you how someone else conducts their business? All I can tell you is that Gwenny and the changing cast of people who work in her office change over the years, one thing which doesn't change is the sheer kindness and competence with which they Carry out what must be a difficult job.
Gwenny seldom advertises these days, she doesn't need to as much of her business must come as a result of personal recommendations by word of mouth.
The service which she provides is invaluable to so many expats.
Dee
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Dominic if there was any bribery we saw no sign of it, we turned up at immigration as told, met the lady were given a number and waited 30 odd mins for our turn, that was April 2019, after 7/8 months we contacted them to point out we had not received the MEU3, we were told that all new applications were being dealt with first, and that was it, we received a phone call Feb I think, and told the MEU 3 would arrive before Easter, nothing has appeared, we have just been back again and been told they will contact immigration to find out the situation, if there is bribery it’s not working, and by the way we have no hidden agenda as somebody possibly suggested this is what happened, not too impressed.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:50 pm Dominic,
How can anyone tell you how someone else conducts their business? All I can tell you is that Gwenny and the changing cast of people who work in her office change over the years, one thing which doesn't change is the sheer kindness and competence with which they Carry out what must be a difficult job.
Gwenny seldom advertises these days, she doesn't need to as much of her business must come as a result of personal recommendations by word of mouth.
The service which she provides is invaluable to so many expats.
Dee
People have no problem whatsoever saying how other people run their business. And reports of money changing hands is not unusual. Besides, my issue is not whether the service provided is good. It is whether it is legal.

And let me get one thing straight. I am not saying that Gwenny is bribing anybody. I am saying I don't know.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sheer Khan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 pm Dominic if there was any bribery we saw no sign of it, we turned up at immigration as told, met the lady were given a number and waited 30 odd mins for our turn, that was April 2019, after 7/8 months we contacted them to point out we had not received the MEU3, we were told that all new applications were being dealt with first, and that was it, we received a phone call Feb I think, and told the MEU 3 would arrive before Easter, nothing has appeared, we have just been back again and been told they will contact immigration to find out the situation, if there is bribery it’s not working, and by the way we have no hidden agenda as somebody possibly suggested this is what happened, not too impressed.
Thank you.
JimX

Post by JimX »

This is getting out of hand, if you must get an agent of your choice go get one, but honestly it is not hard to do it yourself, in normal circumstances no agent is needed, why this MEU3 is still a mystery to some I find exasperating to be honest, go get an appointment, fill in the form at home that they give you to the letter, then just turn up on your appointment date and time, there will be people waiting many of them with there agents, so do not be put off waiting, we were in and out in less than an hour but this was when MEU3 became the normal we all should have, our MEU3 arrived in the post several weeks later, and no agents fees of any kind.

Good luck!
Jim.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Tremigirl wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:24 am Looks like even going to Gwenny doesn't help either. We were really thinking of going to her ( perhaps not now!!)
It is like we were told by a certain person to go to some one to get our IPT tax back. Went to him nearly 2years ago and still waiting for our money. We paid him a lot of money for doing it. So it doesn't always pay to get someone to do it.
Have to take the Cypriot attitude, slowly slowly.
We went into the tax office personally about 2.5 years ago for IPT refund. It wasn't difficult but still waiting too! Also got our appt last October for MEU3 .Waited a couple of weeks from time of applying, then arrived about 2 weeks later in post. Longest wait was at immigration, about 3 hours. It was heaving! Full of fixers just walking in and only 3 staff on duty. They were very pleasant and helpful though. We also did all out our tax registering etc, including customs bringing the car over. That was a bit of a game, but we made good friends with one particular lady after out umpteenth visit who helped us a lot. Only 74 sheets of A4 before they were satisfied! In those days you had to keep the car 10 years or ask for permission to sell. Also, unless it was in both names on the log, it would be impounded if the named owner died, while probate went through.So I was told by several people it had happened to.