UK 14 Day Quarantine

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Princebytor

UK 14 Day Quarantine

Post by Princebytor »

As at the 3rd of June there were 2 countries in the EU with the following Covid 19 stats. Country A which has had 952 cases, that's 80 per 100,000 and 17 deaths and Country B which has had 25,066 cases, that's 516 per 100,000 (second highest in the EU) and 1658 deaths. So guess which one is exempt from the 14 day quarantine requirement................................Country B, where's the science in that ?????
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: UK 14 Day Quarantine

Post by Dominic »

Why did you label them Country A and Country B?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Just to illustrate the absurdity of it Dominic.................Country A is Cyprus and Country B is Ireland
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Princebytor wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:34 am where's the science in that ?????
As you are talking about the UK, maybe the science is in the obvious fact that there is no border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, therefore policing it has become practically impossible. Perhaps the correct expression should be "pragmatic".
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the original poster was simply trying to illustrate the absurdity of Boris's lockdown.which has come too late anyway, as most countries reacted far quicker than the UK did to the threat of the Corona Virus. Now, as most countries in the EU have vastly reduced their cases of the virus, they are opening up again. Now when people are ready to travel, Boris introduces an untimely quarantine. Which should help skewer British Airlines who have already grounded all their aircraft for months and want to return to flying. They are cash starved having huge overheads.
Dee
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Spot on Kili, just demonstrating that it can't be a decision based on science, any potential barrier is only as strong as it's weakest link. Unfortunately it's a political decision to deflect the growing criticism around the governments handling of the crisis, it will serve very little purpose now and will just prolong the economic pain.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:59 pm I think that the original poster was simply trying to illustrate the absurdity of Boris's lockdown.which has come too late anyway, as most countries reacted far quicker than the UK did to the threat of the Corona Virus. Now, as most countries in the EU have vastly reduced their cases of the virus, they are opening up again. Now when people are ready to travel, Boris introduces an untimely quarantine. Which should help skewer British Airlines who have already grounded all their aircraft for months and want to return to flying. They are cash starved having huge overheads.
Dee
The quarantine was decided by Cummings, to alleviate pressure on release of Cygnus data. Cummings did not clear it with any cabinet member.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:41 am Boris is only the figurehead for the Cummins administration :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I don't share Devils and HIC's sense of humour this time. While HIC wrote that Boris is only the figurehead for the Cummins administration, which may be close to the truth,I don't think that is remotely funny! I think that its appalling that one unelected advisor has too much power.
Does it show that Boris is a weak and indecisive man who finds it difficult to make sensible, decisions? At a critical time in the history of Britain.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Its not rocket science,
Cummings is Rod Hull, and Boris the buffoon, is Emu,
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:48 am I don't share Devils and HIC's sense of humour this time. While HIC wrote that Boris is only the figurehead for the Cummins administration, which may be close to the truth,I don't think that is remotely funny! I think that its appalling that one unelected advisor has too much power.
Does it show that Boris is a weak and indecisive man who finds it difficult to make sensible, decisions? At a critical time in the history of Britain.

Dee
That would be something each of us has to decide. It appears to be a very similar situation to Blair and Campbell.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Boris was the editor of The Spectator magazine. Mrs Cummings now works for The Spectator. I'm just saying :o
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:19 am
Kili01 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:48 am I don't share Devils and HIC's sense of humour this time. While HIC wrote that Boris is only the figurehead for the Cummins administration, which may be close to the truth,I don't think that is remotely funny! I think that its appalling that one unelected advisor has too much power.

Dee
That would be something each of us has to decide. It appears to be a very similar situation to Blair and Campbell.
I don't understand why you keep dragging Tony Blair into the equation; he's been gone around twelve years and there been four other Prime Ministers since then.
Alistair Cambell was Blairs Press Secretary, yes he put spin on government policy but he didn't set policy like Cummings does so theres no comparison.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Lets face it Boris is a bumbling oaf who got elected on a one trick pony (i.e. Lets get Brexit Done). If Corbyn had not been so unelectable, for various reasons, Labour might have got in. Just watch PMQs every Wednesday and you will see how Starmer takes him to the cleaners. His strategy when asking his allocated number of questions is to respond to BJ's answer to the previous question, before going on to his own next question thereby not giving BJ a chance to respond and having to answer the next question.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Starmer can think on his feet and articulate sentences into questions and answers.
That's something BoJo cannot do.
And when he starts to feel the pressure you can see his temperature starting to get the better of him. That will eventually be his downfall, I believe.
Next slogan #GetBoJoDone
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am
Jimgym wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:19 am

Dee
I don't understand why you keep dragging Tony Blair into the equation; he's been gone around twelve years and there been four other Prime Ministers since then.
Alistair Cambell was Blairs Press Secretary, yes he put spin on government policy but he didn't set policy like Cummings does so theres no comparison.

Jim
Where do I keep"dragging Blair into it"? If you can't see the very obvious comparisons between Campbell and Cummings then nothing I can say will help! If you are naive enough to think Campbell didn't influence Blair, like Cummings appears to Johnson, then there's little point in continuing
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan
I don't think it's me being naive, Cumming is the senior special advisor who advises and assists in setting Blojo's government policy.
Cambell was Press Secretary who advised on putting the policy developed by Blairs government into the public domain, totally different to what you're suggesting.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:27 pm Alan
I don't think it's me being naive, Cumming is the senior special advisor who advises and assists in setting Blojo's government policy.
Cambell was Press Secretary who advised on putting the policy developed by Blairs government into the public domain, totally different to what you're suggesting.

Jim
If you believe Campbell & Cummings are not operating in the same manner then so be it, you are wrong, but that is your perogative.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

At the time I remember that Campbell used to be called a spin doctor, who was very good at putting a spin on Govt policy to the media. But I believe that Blair was an entirely different character who decided Govt policy with his cabinet ministers. It is perhaps unfortunate that he fell under the influence of George Bush...
Not like Boris and his band of inexperienced ministers, who lack good leadership. The buck stops with Boris who isn't right person for this job. I fear that all this will eventually lead to financial disaster if it is coupled with an un planned no deal Brexit.

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Boris has been seriously ill recently as we all know. I do not believe that he is as yet, fully recovered from the virus. Cut the man some slack.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.