Complacency setting in.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Complacency setting in.

Post by Mark »

Cyprus has done a marvellous job in containing the virus.......but this week I am very aware of major changes in behaviour.

On my weekly shop, firstly in Lidl, I was conspicuous as one of very few wearing a face mask and gloves, most people wore no PPE, same in Alpha Mega and Paps, social distancing was also compromised.

I will continue to go out once per week, but others I spoke with go out daily, there is a dangerous assumption that the virus is under control, it's not but the behaviours I witnessed, admittedly over a 3 hour period are anything to go by, the good work could unravel very quickly, particularly when airlines recommence operations.

Stay aware folks.
Kili01

Re: Complacency setting in.

Post by Kili01 »

I think that maybe people have developed the 'feel good feeling' as so many of the restrictions have suddenly been lifted and more things are re opening. You are quite right In what you said and as people start relaxing they are kidding themselves that the virus is dead here, which it isn't .There are cases nearly every day now, partly caused by increased tests, track and trace which is being carried out..
But when tourist flights start arriving there may be a problem with the virus once again.

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We only shop when absolutely necessary. We wear mask and gloves. We avoid everyone and shall continue to do so for as long as it takes. The COVID-19 is still here.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I was in the Home Centre yesterday and there was only the staff and me with mask and gloves on.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Before people get too relaxed they should perhaps remember that Sweden's virus chief advisor now admits his approached caused too many deaths.

One plus to all this is that it has cut down the amount of casual purchases I might make. Now I only go to a shop if I really have to.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Three months ago, I visited the Bank of Cyprus oncology Centre. Other than a difficult-to-see bottle of hand disinfectant, there were no visible signs of a problem. Practically none of the staff were wearing masks or gloves although some visitors/patients were. In fact, I was a little surprised at the apparent lack of awareness.

Yesterday, I had another appointment. Mandatory hand disinfectant before entering the doors, ear temperature measured by someone in full surgical outfit, no gloves supplied but a face mask became obligatory. Few of the "behind the counter" staff wore face masks, although some had them round the neck. My doctor was wearing one. A very radical change in the three months, but lacunary.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:49 am You can't compare Sweden with Cyprus. With our current numbers the chances of being affected are infinitesimal and life really does have to carry on and I think people are generally overreacting because of the appalling journalism and other media coverage of other countries. I will admit that if I lived in a different badly affected country I too would behave differently, but now in Cyprus I am aware and cautious - but that is all and I am of an age that is regarded as 'vulnerable' but I take offence to that and, believe me, I'm not one to be easily offended! 8-)
What are you taking offence at?
daveg

Post by daveg »

Went to Lidl T of the King's yesterday, Sanitizer and gloves readily available at the entrance, more Sanitizer dotted around the store......
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Monday, in Lidl at Aradippou, security guy outside door checking numbers going in and out, table inside door with plastic gloves but no hand disinfectant. However there were a couple of disinfectant dispensers dotted round the shop.

Possibly about four in 10 shoppers wore masks (not supplied) and gloves and possibly three quarters of them had either their own or the provided gloves. In some cases, even toddlers had masks but many young children were rushing around like there was no tomorrow, totally indisciplined: feel like breaking their necks :-)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:23 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:15 pm
Austin7 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:49 am You can't compare Sweden with Cyprus. With our current numbers the chances of being affected are infinitesimal and life really does have to carry on and I think people are generally overreacting because of the appalling journalism and other media coverage of other countries. I will admit that if I lived in a different badly affected country I too would behave differently, but now in Cyprus I am aware and cautious - but that is all and I am of an age that is regarded as 'vulnerable' but I take offence to that and, believe me, I'm not one to be easily offended! 8-)
What are you taking offence at?
Why should a perfectly healthy person be not vulnerable at 69 yet they are at 70. Any age plus underlying health problems is 'vulnerable', not merely because of over 70 :twisted:
Imagine if they applied the same logic you would like, to eligibility for a pension? There would be an outcry if people were told to keep on working because they were still fit enough! :lol:

Honestly, for somebody who says they are not easily offended, you are very easily offended.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:00 pm Monday, in Lidl at Aradippou, security guy outside door checking numbers going in and out, table inside door with plastic gloves but no hand disinfectant. However there were a couple of disinfectant dispensers dotted round the shop.

Possibly about four in 10 shoppers wore masks (not supplied) and gloves and possibly three quarters of them had either their own or the provided gloves. In some cases, even toddlers had masks but many young children were rushing around like there was no tomorrow, totally indisciplined: feel like breaking their necks :-)
Devil the hand sanitizer is now in a dispenser fixed to the wall above the table, and not on the table, I too use that Lidls.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Of the opinion that it is up to me to take whatever precautions I feel are necessary for my health and well being.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:36 pm I too use that Lidls.
I tried to send this as a private message but it was refused. Sorry that that is totally off subject! :-(
As you say that you use the Aradippou Lidl, I would be curious to know what you think about the latest layout, particularly of the veggie/fruit section, that is now bigger but no longer linear. I appreciate that the special offers on frozen stuff is now close to the rest of the frozen items so that you no longer have to pick them up before you go up and down the aisles.

On a different note, I find that the staff there are particularly good and helpful, compared with some other places.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Re the Veg and fruit, we dont buy from Lidls, our experience is, it is second rate, what ever we have bought, dosnt last two minutes, we buy all our fruit and veg from Stelios in Livadia,
Staff are very good and helpful
I did complain to the head office last year, that my complaints of having to walk through a bunch of scammers begging for money, fell on deaf ears when I complained to the store manager a couple of times,
since then, the scammers have disappeared,
the things I buy from Lidls are tools, ice cream, milk and bread, and booze.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I must agree that the fruit and veg there is not always the best but I am a believer in one stop shopping :-) I do buy packeted mushrooms and lettuce leaves plus odd bits of veggie, now and then. Very rarely fruit from there.

I do not buy tools (I have grown up now), ice cream (I have grown up now), milk, yes but be careful of the date, bread almost never but the Danish pastries are quite good. As for booze, we tend to go for the cheapo wines for everyday use. I very rarely buy fresh meat or fish, generally second-rate. For convenience, we always have a couple of packets of the 'Indonesian' frozen dishes in the freezer. When it is on special offer – this week, we usually have a 1 kg packet of "fresh" lasagna for two nights, between the two of us.

I will probably get the sharp end of Dominic's tongue for going way way off topic. Hee hee, see if I care :-)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We went to Lidl about eleven this morning and the queue was down the car park..
Complacency is setting in; people should read the report on the spread of the virus in Singapore and then maybe they wouldn't be so quick to cast off their masks and gloves. Just washing your hands and singing happy birthday isn't going to protect you, if it did there wouldn't be several thousand dead medical workers.
I have two granddaughters in the high risk group, one seven and one four months old; there's no age limit on this virus.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that it has been a feature of Lidl throughout the lock down they have been excellent in the way that they control things in their Ellados Rd branch, Paphos. I always go to the 'Oldies'
shopping time. There is a security man on the door, he checks everyone going in and out before 10am. No underaged persons, with or without children are admitted. Gloves and hand gel available at door. Marks on floor to remind you of social distancing. announcements in Greek/English to remind people about this. Layout of produce and aisles is good.In this branch the standard of freshness Of fruit and veg is good, they obviously sell a lot every day. Many people wearing gloves and some now still wearing masks.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just got back from Polis Paps. Gloves and handwash still at the door. Gloves even available in three different sizes. Also, staff with masks and social distancing observed by the mostly Cypriot shoppers.

I got quite a bit of veg, and some ice cream, if anybody is interested. Plus my usual supply of Pepsi Max.

Oh and some breakfast cereal.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:55 pm Oh and some breakfast cereal.
Let me guess--- Weetabix?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:55 pm Just got back from Polis Paps. Gloves and handwash still at the door. Gloves even available in three different sizes. Also, staff with masks and social distancing observed by the mostly Cypriot shoppers.

I got quite a bit of veg, and some ice cream, if anybody is interested. Plus my usual supply of Pepsi Max.

Oh and some breakfast cereal.
What type of breakfast cereal? :D