Complacency setting in.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Complacency setting in.

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:24 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:36 pm I too use that Lidls.
I tried to send this as a private message but it was refused. Sorry that that is totally off subject! :-(
As you say that you use the Aradippou Lidl, I would be curious to know what you think about the latest layout, particularly of the veggie/fruit section, that is now bigger but no longer linear. I appreciate that the special offers on frozen stuff is now close to the rest of the frozen items so that you no longer have to pick them up before you go up and down the aisles.

On a different note, I find that the staff there are particularly good and helpful, compared with some other places.
Why was it refused?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:28 pm Why was it refused?
Guess WHL has checked no PMs???
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Either that or his PMs are full? No, it can't be that. If that happens the PMs just sit in that annoying "Your PMs need emptying" limbo.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I read this thread a couple of days ago, having not been “out and about” this week. Yesterday we drove into Polis and were astounded by the lack of social distancing, with gloves and masks not being very evident. Some shops seem to have removed their sanitiser and gloves from outside their stores. One café, which has outside seating, was crammed with people literally sitting on top of each other. It’s as if there has been an announcement that the virus has disappeared, and all is back to normal.

With the news that the airports are reopening and tourism is about to restart (albeit in a limited way) I can envisage Cyprus being forced back into lockdown sooner rather than later. Of course I want our island to prosper and for all the people who are without much support to flourish but I believe that this is a step far too soon. And, in my view, another lockdown would be far more damaging to our economy than the current restrictions have been.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I agree MacManiac. First noticed when restrictions were eased on 4th May (people could go out more often) and then soon after 21st May I was told that the virus has finished and another person stated it was never as bad as everyone made out. Just this week as I drove past a few drinking establishments I noticed some people are sitting apart whereas others are shoulder to shoulder and there is quite an interpretation as to what constitutes an outside space. Happy to say my usual haunts continue to remain 'safe' for both staff and customers.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The only answer to overcrowded places, is to turn away and go elsewhere! As nothing is compulsoryI I feel that its up to the individual to decide what is safe and suitable for him. But maybe there is an official number where members of the public could report a place which is clearly flouting the terms of the relaxation of the lockdown?
So far I haven't had a problem.

But if people have started to ignore the social distancing edict, it may result in a sharp increase in cases of the virus. Particularly when tourists start arriving here next week.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:22 pm The only answer to overcrowded places, is to turn away and go elsewhere! As nothing is compulsoryI I feel that its up to the individual to decide what is safe and suitable for him. But maybe there is an official number where members of the public could report a place which is clearly flouting the terms of the relaxation of the lockdown?
So far I haven't had a problem.

But if people have started to ignore the social distancing edict, it may result in a sharp increase in cases of the virus. Particularly when tourists start arriving here next week.

Dee
Yep, I can't understand people who post about lack of social distancing outside the shop etc, then go on to say how unsafe they felt inside the shop.

The lack of social distancing outside the shop should be all you need to know before you decide to go elsewhere, if social distancing is an issue for you.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

It’s undoubtedly getting worse. We drove past a popular café in Polis and it was absolutely crammed with people. Even more astonishing was to see a couple of policemen in uniform sitting at an inside table, and they were smoking cigarettes as well. When the virus reappears, I for one will be saddened but not surprised.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:26 pm
daveg wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm Went to Lidl T of the King's yesterday, Sanitizer and gloves readily available at the entrance, more Sanitizer dotted around the store......
That certainly isn't the case today at the other one, saw no sanitizer or gloves at entrance. Just got back from there and it's very busy and by far the majority of customers without gloves or face mask (including me).
Austin 7, the sanitizer is fixed to the wall, just inside the entrance , right hand side, before the bakery, gloves were there too when I went a few days ago.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Shopped today, very little evidence of PPE, the retailers themselves are doing a great job, providing sanitisers all wearing masks etc. But the shoppers give the impression all is OK, masks etc a rarity.

I felt conspicuous wearing a mask and gloves, am I wrong to do so?

In my view all is not OK yet, stay aware and alert, above all protect yourselves and your family.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Mark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm Shopped today, very little evidence of PPE, the retailers themselves are doing a great job, providing sanitisers all wearing masks etc. But the shoppers give the impression all is OK, masks etc a rarity.

I felt conspicuous wearing a mask and gloves, am I wrong to do so?

In my view all is not OK yet, stay aware and alert, above all protect yourselves and your family.
Cyprus is one of, if not the safest country in the world, so many are asking, how long should they live in fear? Human nature dictates that people get back to some sort of normality as quickly as possible.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Mark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm I felt conspicuous wearing a mask and gloves, am I wrong to do so?
As far as the gloves are concerned yes, you are. As I pointed out before the WHO doesn´t recommend wearing gloves. It makes more sense to disinfect your hands after touching your shopping and wash them before you eat or touch your face.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:12 am Any microscopic droplets from the nose will land on the meats and cheeses :shock:
As they have always done since time immemorial. What's so different? Maybe they add to the flavour??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Last Weds I went to the Lab in Chlorakas where one would expect thorough compliance; sadly not. I had to request the Phlebotomist to put on a mask.

On Saturday I was in ToK LIDL, where tanoy announcements repeated the need for 2 metre distancing. Much as I might try, it was the staff who kept coming too close. Fresh, loose cherries, there for anyone to handle, as there was no scoop available. The till I used no longer had the sneeze screen.

Yes, I appreciate that the risk here is now small, but that doesn't mean shops serving customers should be deciding for themselves what rules to follow and which to ignore! As a 'vulnerable person' I cannot feel comfortable out and about just yet.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I would have thought that elderly people would be taking more precautions as the restrictions are being lowered but so many ladies appear to have forgotten completely about the two meter physical distancing, especially in shops - it's as if the events of the last 5 months never happened. Decided to assume that the same people also ignore the sanitising gel at the entrance to shops.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think a good mantra to employ, is that every person you see is potentially infected and can kill you. You, therefore, need to adopt personal measures, such as keeping even further away if they don't wear a mask themselves...