Biologic medication

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sadie

Biologic medication

Post by Sadie »

Hi all
Has anyone any experience of biologic medication?
Side effects efficacy etc.
TIA
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Kili01

Re: Biologic medication

Post by Kili01 »

Thats a bit broad brush, Sadie. What type of medication do you have in mind? Always wise to consult a doctor first. There are one or two doctors here who believe in using homeopathic medicine for some patients complaints when appropriate.
I am very interested in homeopathic medicines. Some of them are very effective, providing you know what you are taking.

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Some of them are very effective, providing you believe in them!!!
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

It’s for psoriatic spondylitis which has been diagnosed by my rheumatologist, the pain I’m in is chronic and the damage to my hip joints is getting worse, I’m led to believe that this is the way to go for pain relief and halting the damage to joints which will if not stopped affect all my joints in the future.
There’s also the damage to my organs if the disease is not halted.
I’ve not been prescribed a specific drug as yet, they’re very expensive to supply, and not available on Gesy, but I have joined Cy rheumatology association who fund the drugs apparently
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Devil wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:24 pm Some of them are very effective, providing you believe in them!!!
More explanation of your thoughts required 'our Dev'??? I would be interested. I have seen remarkable results in very young children with eczema, psoriasis etc. However, other conditions, I have no idea??

MB
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

HI Sadie
I've been on Biologics since 2003. I'm in UK but have a house in Tremithousa & have had property in Cyprus for 26 years. When in Cyprus I see Victor Hadjiroussos in Limassol & although he dosn't prescribe my meds he has been very helpful over the years. I've had X Ray & steroid injections etc. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis & the medication is the same. I started on Etanercept injections which worked well but only for 18 months/ I then swapped to Adalimumab (Humira) which I injected for 12 years & worked really well but unfortunately i built up antibodies to it eventually & it stopped working. I've recently been on Rituximab infusions which i found wiped me out & I had a lot of infections & spent a few days in Paphos General on a drip for IV antibiotics. I'm now on another type of Biologic called Abatacept but its only 8 weeks into this so its early days. As with any medication there are side effects which i'm sure they have mentioned. If they work well for you then they can be life changing. Good luck .
Lynda
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

glang3000 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:19 pm HI Sadie
I've been on Biologics since 2003. I'm in UK but have a house in Tremithousa & have had property in Cyprus for 26 years. When in Cyprus I see Victor Hadjiroussos in Limassol & although he dosn't prescribe my meds he has been very helpful over the years. I've had X Ray & steroid injections etc. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis & the medication is the same. I started on Etanercept injections which worked well but only for 18 months/ I then swapped to Adalimumab (Humira) which I injected for 12 years & worked really well but unfortunately i built up antibodies to it eventually & it stopped working. I've recently been on Rituximab infusions which i found wiped me out & I had a lot of infections & spent a few days in Paphos General on a drip for IV antibiotics. I'm now on another type of Biologic called Abatacept but its only 8 weeks into this so its early days. As with any medication there are side effects which i'm sure they have mentioned. If they work well for you then they can be life changing. Good luck .
Lynda
Thank you so much for this Lynda, I’m in so much pain right now and my mobility is badly affected, I think I’d make a pact with the devil to be free of it x
darrow

Post by darrow »

Dr Mala is the lady to see in Chloraka. She does alternative medicine as well as "traditional" Also there is a chinese herbalist in Paphos, Moutallos I believe! You might do well to look on FB, at the Whole food plant based site. (WFBP for short), amazing success with various "untreatable" disease just by adjusting your diet! Colin Campbell " The China Study " is enlightening. Your choice of course whether you investigate or not. Good luck!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

By chance, there is an article in today's Cyprus Mail on the subject of alternative medicines, written by a qualified doctor

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/05/27/alte ... medicines/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Austin7 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am Do I detect just a tad of cynicism on your part too, Devil :?: :lol:
Me? Cynical? No, never! Er! Well, maybe a tiny bit. !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Thanks for your replies regarding herbal And homeopathic alternatives, however as it’s a serious and life changing condition affecting my joints, spine and pelvis I need to be prescribed the correct medication.
I’ve suffered from psoriasis all my life and have tried traditional as well as alternative therapies, I believe that the biological therapy is the way to go, no alternative or homeopathic remedy will offer the pain relief I need.
I’m following an anti inflammatory diet and once I’m not in so much pain, my mobility will, I hope improve.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Oh Sadie, I seriously hope you find help out there. It must me dreadful suffering this condition with very few answers. Sending you my best. X
jeba

Post by jeba »

Sadie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:02 am
glang3000 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:19 pm HI Sadie
Lynda
Thank you so much for this Lynda, I’m in so much pain right now and my mobility is badly affected, I think I’d make a pact with the devil to be free of it x
Be aware though that biologics aren´t the same as homeopathic drugs. On the contrary - they are highly active substances used by academic medicine and science based.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

From what I just read the only difference between biologics and drugs is the manufacturing process.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Biologic drugs target certain cells only, they are a form of Immunol suppressant drug but whilst older drugs would attack the whole immune system these drugs attack only the part that is causing the problem, i.e. T cells or B cells.

They are far safer than the older forms of drugs and work a lot better, unfortunately they are also very expensive.

Gary.